Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 66  All

Author Topic: Mafia Game Index  (Read 144013 times)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Game Index
« Reply #450 on: February 25, 2013, 02:18:36 pm »

I think Ozle is the forum games police, I hear he carries a baton and everything. If you want someone who actually knows something about something, then I'd advice consulting ashersky.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 25, 2013, 02:54:40 pm »

That's not a baton....

I'm just the forum games whinger, but trying to be better!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #452 on: February 25, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »

I'd be interested in that noobs game
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 25, 2013, 05:46:59 pm »

I think Ozle is the forum games police, I hear he carries a baton and everything. If you want someone who actually knows something about something, then I'd advice consulting ashersky.

Cool, I'm asking ashersky what's up. I know he has limited internet access right now so I'll keep you guys posted.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 25, 2013, 05:58:00 pm »

That's not a baton....

I'm just the forum games whinger, but trying to be better!
Our favorite whingman.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 25, 2013, 06:29:12 pm »

Am I mistaken to think there ought to be one "normal" (=newbie friendly?) game running at all times. So when Joth's game ends, there should be something starting that newer players could join? I'm not suggesting anything (although that would sound reasonable to me), I just thought that was the way we agreed to do things.

MnM is normal and simple.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 25, 2013, 06:45:49 pm »

I know these are less popular lately but I've also got a Bastard game in mind. I'm fine with this being a ways down the line but figured I'd hop in the queue if that's cool.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 25, 2013, 07:13:59 pm »

Jorbles, go ahead and open a sequel to our dinner party game.  I'll co-mod as a ghost butler, or something.  You now have run of the manor!  Just use the next number not already open and I'll adjust.

Once it's full, start.  Let's see if we can get a full newbie game again.

Vets, stay out!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:37:39 pm by ashersky »
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 25, 2013, 07:32:24 pm »

maybe we should make newbie mafia a new category?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 25, 2013, 09:24:10 pm »

Okay, this is completely up-to-date, I think.

I thought about it, and we fought over it in the last one, but at this point, it'd take some revision of history by changing MX and MXXI to NMI and NMII, and then we'd have empty slots in our history, which doesn't sound good to me.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 25, 2013, 09:25:00 pm »

I'd be interested in that noobs game

I'm waiting for Jorbles to start the thread, so he has edit/modify/etc. powers over it.  The link will get added to the first post in this thread.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 25, 2013, 09:30:59 pm »

well, we could also rename the rest of the games to lower numbers  ;D. probably not worth it.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 25, 2013, 09:31:20 pm »

I thought about it, and we fought over it in the last one, but at this point, it'd take some revision of history by changing MX and MXXI to NMI and NMII, and then we'd have empty slots in our history, which doesn't sound good to me.
We don't have to retroactively change games. Having a newbie slot going forward sounds like a good idea.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 25, 2013, 09:34:26 pm »

We don't have to retroactively change games. Having a newbie slot going forward sounds like a good idea.

Jorbs can choose when he starts the thread I guess.  I am not opposed to another category.  It would always be F9, basically, for 9 players, and just continually start when full.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 25, 2013, 09:37:16 pm »

Jorbles, go ahead and open a sequel to our dinner party game.  I'll co-mod as a ghost butler, or something.  You now have run of the manor!  Just use the next number not already open and I'll adjust.

Vets, stay out!

Look I don't want to make this a big thing, but I feel like I need to say something.
1. You aren't in charge. This is a communal effort. I am not trying to sound mean here, but you don't get to make the rules. You just don't. And since this is a communal effort I am going to say my two cents and hope that others agree. If they don't... then obviously my opinion is moot. But right now I think the idea of "vets stay out" isn't the right method to take right now.
2. I fully understand the desire to have a newbie game that is all newbies. I think it is the ideal. However:
3. I don't think it is worth waiting weeks on end to get enough newbies so it is only newbies. I think it is worth having 1-2 vets to get the game started in a timely fashion, if we don't the newbies will potentially lose interest and play elsewhere.
4. I have always wanted to be in a regular 9 player game, but never had the opportunity. I gave up my opportunity last time if you remember and gave you the opportunity to play in one by hosting MX. I would love it if someone was willing to host a regular "non-newbie" 9 player game. But no one seems willing. I would be willing, but then I couldn't play in it.
5. I think the actual mod (in this case Jorbles) and the new players within should ultimately decide who is in and who is out. I am not demanding a place, but simply saying that if there is one available for vets--and I think we as a group should decide whether that should be allowed or not--I would like a spot if at all possible.

That is all.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 25, 2013, 09:40:34 pm »

I don't intend to play the game either way, but I loathe "no vets" requirements, and certainly think yuma should be able to play.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 25, 2013, 09:42:14 pm »

I don't intend to play the game either way, but I loathe "no vets" requirements, and certainly think yuma should be able to play.

thanks, but that isn't really my point. I mean it kinda is. I guess my point is that I would like to play and if the newbies who join the game are willing to have a vet be included I would love to play. But I think the newbies and the mod (jorbles) or the community as a whole should decide that. Not ashersky alone.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 25, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »

Vets, stay out!

Look I don't want to make this a big thing, but I feel like I need to say something.
1. You aren't in charge. This is a communal effort. I am not trying to sound mean here, but you don't get to make the rules. You just don't. And since this is a communal effort I am going to say my two cents and hope that others agree. If they don't... then obviously my opinion is moot. But right now I think the idea of "vets stay out" isn't the right method to take right now.
2. I fully understand the desire to have a newbie game that is all newbies. I think it is the ideal. However:
3. I don't think it is worth waiting weeks on end to get enough newbies so it is only newbies. I think it is worth having 1-2 vets to get the game started in a timely fashion, if we don't the newbies will potentially lose interest and play elsewhere.
4. I have always wanted to be in a regular 9 player game, but never had the opportunity. I gave up my opportunity last time if you remember and gave you the opportunity to play in one by hosting MX. I would love it if someone was willing to host a regular "non-newbie" 9 player game. But no one seems willing. I would be willing, but then I couldn't play in it.
5. I think the actual mod (in this case Jorbles) and the new players within should ultimately decide who is in and who is out. I am not demanding a place, but simply saying that if there is one available for vets--and I think we as a group should decide whether that should be allowed or not--I would like a spot if at all possible.

That is all.

I would be willing to.  That's sort of what I was shooting for with my Mean Girls game but I really wanted a three person scum team and that math doesn't work out so well.  That can be pushed back if there's more interest in a super normal 9-person game.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 25, 2013, 09:48:06 pm »

I think yuma makes sense, I agree with him.

However, I also appreciate ashersky's effort and see where he is coming from. Maybe we should just ask the new players themselves if they'd rather wait a bit and play a full newbie game or start sooner with a couple of veterans?

Thinking back, I definitely would have preferred the latter. Really, or I'd care about would be to get to play a simple enough game as soon as possible. Couple of veterans to show the ropes might also help with getting the game flowing, you know how those day 1s can be.

I think the introductory game that just ended turned out just excellent. They even lynched Robz!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 25, 2013, 09:51:36 pm »

exactly... I mean the fear is that once you open it up to vets there could very easily be a mad rush by vets to get into the game and all of a sudden it is two newbies and seven vets. Not great. But I do think something like a 1-week signup phase for newbies is appropriate. Adverstize it, let people know about it. If it fills up, start it up, awesome! We got 9 new players... then open up another one... let it go for 1 week (same process) either we get 9 new player or we get 4-7 and then add in vets on a first come first serve basis or something.

Oh and I suggest just keeping all the games under the same numeric system. I think we have enough breakdown in classifications for now, if we keep adding more it will just become alphabet soup.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 25, 2013, 10:08:08 pm »

Vets, stay out!

That is all.

Too late.  Looks like a big thing.  That aside, I am just trying to help the community at large with some small semblance of order, that's all.

The original newbie game argument was for an always open newbie game that starts when filled and is immediately replaced in queue with another.  We clearly don't have the population growth to support that.

Then there was the argument that vets were crowding out newbies.  We saw that play out uglily in MXXI sign ups, with Robz as the only true vet in the game to preserve his now defunct streak.

Someone, probably the mod as you suggest, can decide on a game-by-game basis, what they're target audience is.  There's an argument to be made for keeping the same numbers and always allowing anyone to sign up.  At this point, you are probably the only vet clamouring to play a newbie game anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.  Eevee might want in, I don't know.

But if we are talking about a true newbie game queue, which is what I thought this conversation was about, and what I had inferred privately through PM with Jorbles, then maybe a new category, with new rules, is needed.

I'm not the boss, as you say.  I'm not sure what I am here.  But what I am trying to be is helpful.  Sorry I'm not.  I don't want this to turn into SFS vs. Frisk.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 25, 2013, 10:13:18 pm »

I'm the same way I was with the last game. If needed, I'll play, but I'll happily not play if someone with less than 20 games wants to play. Count me in if needed, out if there is more interest than room!

And ashersky, I'm sure people think you've been helpful. I know I do.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 25, 2013, 10:16:09 pm »

I'm the same way I was with the last game. If needed, I'll play, but I'll happily not play if someone with less than 20 games wants to play. Count me in if needed, out if there is more interest than room!

And ashersky, I'm sure people think you've been helpful. I know I do.

I'm assuming Robz is out, too.  There are a few newbies floating around, plus a few with one or two games only.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:19 pm »

But what I am trying to be is helpful.  Sorry I'm not.  I don't want this to turn into SFS vs. Frisk.

I don't want that either. But when you put something in bold red as if you were a mod and say it with an authoritative voice I am either going to accept you as a leader or question your claim to authority. I fully respect your opinion and think it has worth and hope that you continue to share it.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 25, 2013, 10:36:44 pm »

But what I am trying to be is helpful.  Sorry I'm not.  I don't want this to turn into SFS vs. Frisk.

I don't want that either. But when you put something in bold red as if you were a mod and say it with an authoritative voice I am either going to accept you as a leader or question your claim to authority. I fully respect your opinion and think it has worth and hope that you continue to share it.

Sorry, I use the mod color thing to differentiate regular responses from stuff about the index.  I'll undo that line.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 66  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 20 queries.