Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 66  All

Author Topic: Mafia Game Index  (Read 144027 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Game Index
« Reply #325 on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:45 am »

The Blitz game.

I don't really want to go read an entire game, Blitz or not.  Cliff notes?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 16, 2013, 12:05:20 am »

Insomniac and Galz blew up at each other but I think it's all okay now.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 16, 2013, 12:07:32 am »

sparky, I know you want to play my cool Star Trek game.

alright, I was wrong... there was that... but you ever heard of this word...? "no" it is really short... it can even be made to sound nicer if you add a thanks to the end of it "no thanks"

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 16, 2013, 12:09:03 am »

oh and no wonder I couldn't find it, it isn't even in the sign up thread... it is in the night talking thread. But point still stands. You could have said no. It wasn't like he said, sign up for my game or else you aren't going to be liked or allowed to play games anymore.

You seemed very excited about it when you signed up...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 16, 2013, 12:11:50 am »

Why can't we all just be happy?

Maybe I should start one of my bastard game ideas for some lightheartedness.  Like, actual setup-warping bastard instead of "take this seriously except everyone has roles that are swingy and imbalanced" bastard.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 16, 2013, 12:13:32 am »

Eh everything is fine on my end, but I am seriously probably going to be sitting out for a bit until the hostility tones down a bit, it's not just me/galz its happening in a lot of games. For the record I'm completely fine with Galz and he's still one of my favourite people to play mafia with.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14:18 am »

Maybe I should start one of my bastard game ideas for some lightheartedness.  Like, actual setup-warping bastard instead of "take this seriously except everyone has roles that are swingy and imbalanced" bastard.

You mean Morgrim it?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 16, 2013, 12:15:06 am »

Agreed.

Is it gonna be worse than Morgrim Mafia? If so, I'll enjoy it.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 16, 2013, 12:16:23 am »

Yeah, I mean everyone, just play whatever games you want to play and don't play the others.

There's even something for everyone!

Blitz games are super intense, extremely serious, and simply (well, except the current one where ash keeps changing the rules) (jk ash, love ya man ;))

Regular games are medium intensity, very serious, and range in complexity (from the exceedingly simple setup to things that are almost role madness like cayvie's games)

Role madness games range in intensity, are usually less serious at least until the end, and complicated

Bastard games are usually less intense, non-serious, and complicated

There's even a great, great deal of variety within these categories (Bastard Mafia V and Bastard Mafia I had as little in common as two games could ever have)

So, just play the games you want to play and leave it at that. If you're designing a regular or blitz game, there's an expectation that you strive to make it balanced, but we don't expel people for messing up occasionally. It IS ultimately for fun.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 16, 2013, 12:18:09 am »

And I don't even think things are getting particularly hostile. That or I'm just desensitized to hostility (I am a political journalist after all...)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19:21 am »

And I don't even think things are getting particularly hostile. That or I'm just desensitized to hostility (I am a political journalist after all...)

Hey man in the game where I was a mason with SFS I'm pretty sure I offended you and I think eHunt offended you in XVI. Both games you walked away from.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 16, 2013, 12:22:30 am »

Hey man in the game where I was a mason with SFS I'm pretty sure I offended you and I think eHunt offended you in XVI. Both games you walked away from.

I was angry within the context of the game. I wasn't IRL angry. And in ehunt's case it was a scum gambit that worked! I've praised him for it.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 16, 2013, 12:29:37 am »

Yeah, it's been there for everyone at some point. It's part of the reason that I WAS playing less mafia and more "other". In a lot of ways it's a part of the game - often unfortunate, and SHOULD never get personal (Ins, I AM sorry) - but the game is designed by it's very nature to make liars out of some group X. The premise of the game is built on dishonesty, and emotions and frustrations naturally run particularly high. Especially amongst this group of players. We came here because we play Dominion. And we're all just a liiiitle bit competitive? Who'de have guessed?

It's NOT my favorite style of game. But I DO enjoy gaming with you all. And as I've gotten to know each of you more personally the frustrations I sometimes feel become more personally attached. It's can be hard to keep things on the up and up. With Insomniac and myself today... I was out of line. But I'll talk more about it when the game is over.

Suffice it to say it isn't an issue of too many games, but an issue that I know many of you fairly well now, and it becomes easier and easier to take a game where lying is at it's very center, and feel a little more personal about the attacks made. It's not an excuse for ACTUALLY making personal attacks, but it is - and will likely always be - some part of this game.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 16, 2013, 01:13:48 am »

Agreed.

No no.  Morgrim game was "I have no idea what is happening" bastard.  I'm thinking more like the Robzify BM game, which is the one I nominated for the Forum Games Awards.  Something that makes sense, but significantly different in some way from a regular game.  Something where you can actually put in effort and succeed because of it, but where there isn't pressure to put in effort.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 16, 2013, 01:15:15 am »

Agreed.

No no.  Morgrim game was "I have no idea what is happening" bastard.  I'm thinking more like the Robzify BM game, which is the one I nominated for the Forum Games Awards.  Something that makes sense, but significantly different in some way from a regular game.  Something where you can actually put in effort and succeed because of it, but where there isn't pressure to put in effort.

Sample Role PM:

Deathproof Vanilla Townie

You are deathproof as long as you never post.

You win when there are no more threats to the town.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 16, 2013, 01:31:48 am »

Agreed.

Sample Role PM:

I will /in if I can have that role.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 16, 2013, 01:38:11 am »

The roles in the game I have in mind are actually pretty simple.  But I would be willing to try to match people with what they want.  But again, they are mostly just basic roles.

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 16, 2013, 01:48:13 am »

Agreed.

Sample Role PM:

I will /in if I can have that role.

I'll /in if I can have that role... as scum.

(it actually kinda matches my meta)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 16, 2013, 05:13:56 am »

Sorry if anybody took this personally, its not directed at anyone, I have been just as guilty of my ranting points as everyone else at some point, I am sure, I like you all really (except Eevee, he smells a bit, but I shall be magnanimous and overlook that for the time being).

I am certainly not the right person to be in control!

I always liked the idea of a following generic ruleset though:

Games Running
1 Small Normal
1 Large Normal

1 RMM (Games are classed as RMM if over 50%)

1 Blitz

1 Other (Bastard or what have you)

That's 5 games, surely that's enough for anyone at one time! (and if not there are 10+ non-mafia games running as well)

Modding:
If you mod a game you must have played in X normal games (This is what they use at Mafiascum to ensure people get a good grasps of the game mechanics)

All Games should be checked by an experienced modder (we have enough by now surely) before sign ups

There is also no real good reason to start sign ups until the previous game is about to finish.

If you have modded a game recently, allow X number of other people to mod before you rejoin the queue (Possibly an exception for Blitz?)

Also:

A permament Newbie Sign up thread. Newbies sign up, when there is sufficent density of newbies a newbie game is launched.

I would also suggest adding to the Golden Rule: Do Not sign up for games if you do not have the time to commit to them sufficiently.

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2013, 05:10:02 pm »

Instead of limiting how many games are happening, we probably should limit how many games players can be in.  Or have players tell mods what games they're currently in and signed up for and have mod discretion.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2013, 05:11:45 pm »

Mods should be able to reject players from their games without feeling too bad.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2013, 05:14:07 pm »

How do you make that happen without feeling bad?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 16, 2013, 05:14:48 pm »

Ehh, how do you avoid people feeling bad is what I meant.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 16, 2013, 05:18:45 pm »

I think it should just be first come, first served. Unless someone has /in'd in this thread or something, I won't auto-in people for the games I mod. But I also won't exclude anybody.

I also don't think there should be a limit on the number of games people are in. Robz has a really high threshold for games, mine is a lot lower. I think everyone can and should make their own limits.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 16, 2013, 05:24:55 pm »

Ehh, how do you avoid people feeling bad is what I meant.
If it's explicitly in the rules, or precedent is set.  What we really should do is have mods be sticklers on prods so we can really see who has a history of overextending themselves or not committing to games.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 66  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 16 queries.