Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's the best strategy for this?  (Read 2275 times)

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
What's the best strategy for this?
« on: October 20, 2012, 02:00:16 am »

Was playing this game on Androminion for a few times but was a little confused perhaps on what's the best way to tackle this. I tried to do a Native Village + Bridge BM combo but it's not running smoothly even though I did win. Tried to go for the Duke-Duchy cards instead in another game but it was pretty inefficient as well and I lost pretty badly.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best strategy for this?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 02:14:17 am »
+1

http://dominionstrategy.com/2012/01/02/combo-of-the-day-27-native-villagebridge/

This describes how to play the Bridge/NV combo.  It is somewhat susceptible to Swindler Attacking, but I don't think it would make it an unviable strategy.  It just might slow down the game a bit. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

PenPen

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:58:23 am »

http://dominionstrategy.com/2012/01/02/combo-of-the-day-27-native-villagebridge/

This describes how to play the Bridge/NV combo.  It is somewhat susceptible to Swindler Attacking, but I don't think it would make it an unviable strategy.  It just might slow down the game a bit.

Ooooh yes, that's nice. I should try that out if I run into a board that features two of these.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 05:19:53 am »
+1

I would, however, be slightly wary of the three pile ending in a Native Village / Bridge game that has four players.

Not to say that you shouldn't play that strategy, rather that you should be aware that you may need to make your VP rush on cards other than provinces, and create that 3 pile ending simultaneously.

PenPen

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:01:29 am »

I ran into another game of NV/Bridge and tried this combo out. It's really good (I'd say it's very awesome)! How NV took the cards aside was a little luck based though, but I had enough NVs to stack up on actions in my megaturn.

One thing I did notice is the fact you are already on your way to clean up 2 piles (and at a pretty fast rate), as Asklepios said you need to be wary of the 3 pile ending.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 11:16:37 am »

I think in 4P, it would do the total opposite.  Instead with players picking up 3 new cards a swindler play, it would speed the game up rather fast.  So if players are either picking up NV/Bridge parts, or attacking with swindlers.  It will end up being a fast game. 

This is under the assumption that those are the only two viable strategies (Swindlers galore, and NV/Bridge). 

I think Secret chamber would work as a wonderful defence and set up for native village. 

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:26:29 am »

Assuming opponent going Swindler, would SC help with securing NV/Bridge combo?

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:31:54 pm »

Assuming opponent going Swindler, would SC help with securing NV/Bridge combo?
For one, you'd be able to control with card is "swindled".  For example, you can now choose out of 7 cards, which card you want to be attacked.  This will likely be an estate or a curse.  That's pretty helpful. 

Two, the second card that goes back up would be the one that's put on that mat.  That again is useful, carefully tucking away estates/coppers of that sort.  (unless you get attacked again, then go through number 1 again). 

I'm not sure if it is totally worth the opportunity cost... but it plays better than moat as a defence here. 

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »

Yeah, I know the benefits, but wonder whether it is actually useful picking up 1 or 2 over NVs. (or spare 2s once NV runs out, but that is probably too late).

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 05:25:18 pm »

Yeah, I know the benefits, but wonder whether it is actually useful picking up 1 or 2 over NVs. (or spare 2s once NV runs out, but that is probably too late).
Right, but in that case, there wouldn't be many swindlers out.  I mean the swindler player isn't going to waste $4-5 on a NV right?  There's no real way outside of markets, to grab multiple NVs. 

Thus, the only time you're seriously fighting for NV is if 2 people (maybe 1?) are vying for the same strategy.  In that case, yeah NVs are scarce and SC aren't a priority.  However in these situations, SC aren't going to be that helpful (fewer swindlers around) anyways. 

In short, I think times where you want to spend all to get every single NV and times you want to grab a couple SC are two different games that don't co-exist all that often. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.