Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wandering minstrel - A trap ?  (Read 5502 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Wandering minstrel - A trap ?
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:52:14 am »

When I played my first game with Wandering minstrel, it seemed very strong. But after a couple of other games on goko, I realized that it had some weaknesses : discard silver/gold/plat, and prevents trashers from working. Now I feel that it is one of the worst $4 villages... Your opinion ?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Wandering minstrel - A trap ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:05:15 am »

If you use it with minions and goons instead of platinum and gold then it looks better. It does however share one problem with the minion: put all your junk into the discard pile and carelessly reshuffle it into a new bad draw deck.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:33:33 am »

I think WM needs either a treasureless engine or a draw your deck engine to work. The treasureless engine is obvious, skip your coppers and estates. When you can draw your deck though, you discard all your treasures, including your good ones, but pick them up at the end of the turn with other +cards.

I've only gotten a little play out of WM, but it still seems like it is often incredibly powerful and I'd still put it in the running for top $4 villages, it's just not universally useful.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:46:35 am »

I really like WM, but it's definitely an engine card that needs +$ actions or lots of draw. 

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:08:38 pm »

I agree, often a trap. You can just buy it as "another village" like you can with other 4 villages, in needs a strategy build around it.

Maybe not as a big trap as some other cards, but the fact that it is a village and triggers the trap more often.

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 02:33:22 pm »
+1

I LOVE wandering minstrel, especially in engine games with weak/no-trashing. You shouldn't be buying villages if you are buying a lot of money anyway.

WM does lead to one tricky situation: it does lead often to the case where you filter through your deck and have a bit of draw left, but that draw will shuffle those coppers/estates back into your deck. In that case you just need to weigh things carefully: is the extra $2-3 worth the bad turn after that? But if you can get enough draw to get your whole deck, it doesn't matter.

I think in engine games, WM acts like a cartographer with an extra +1 action, for only $4, because in an engine I would often even choose to discard silvers or golds in favor of drawing only actions anyways. Love it love it love it.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 04:51:53 am »

I wouldn't say it is a trap card if you know how to properly use it. I think every Village falls into this category where people overbuy villages. Anyway, if I wanted to get to my treasures, I likely would not be playing Wandering Minstrel unless I had good draw like Smithy or something.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 04:58:23 am »
+1

I wouldn't say it is a trap card if you know how to properly use it.

Is anything a trap card if you know how to properly use it?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 10:28:44 am »

Obligatory Admiral Akbar reference
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 12:17:43 pm »

It works awfully well with poor house. I've now played 2 games where I have had Poor House/Minstrel/Hunting Grounds/Junk Dealer/Market Square (I know, an awful lot of cards to have twice, but the general engine idea is there) and it has been very formidable both times. You grab 4 poor houses and get rid of all your money and it's very easy to grab 2 provinces each turn rather quickly, and that's with weak trashing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.