Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Develop  (Read 22128 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Re: Develop
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 12:11:17 pm »

Another Develop thought:
USUALLY when playing with develop you want to buy the most expensive card you can on any given turn. Say there is Witch and KC in the kingdom. You draw $6. Without develop you would want to buy the witch. With develop you may want to pick up the gold with the plan to hit the gold with develop on the next shuffle.

(That said, with witch on the board you would generally not want to open Develop anyway. And if you did you likely wouldn't hit $6...)

It just means that on average you should be a little more willing to spend your money vs get the perfect card you want that turn for your deck.

Ed

itchiko

• Baron
  • Hear me roar
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 01:27:08 pm »

i would also add a few things on develop (they actually concerns all TFB cards but worth the recall for develop)

It is also good when you have cards that are really good at first but whose value is either null or greatly decreased after a certain point in the game. Those type of cards means you will have trash folder with a decent cost in the middle game. in which cases a develop can work pretty good at recycling them into more useful cards at this point.
Example of those kinds of effects are:

early game attackers: Seahag, Cutpurse, Swindler
early game trashers: Moneylender, Loan, Outlook
early game big buyer: Baron, Horsetrader, Coppersmith
cards mostly powerful when gained/buyed: main contender is IGG

You would still need good cards 1 less and 1 more than those cards (especially with the ones costing 3, you don't want to gain an unwanted estate) but knowing that you will have cards that will be dead or nearly so midgame can encourage you to grab 1 develop for the ramping up phase of an engine.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 05:04:45 pm »
+1

USUALLY when playing with develop you want to buy the most expensive card you can on any given turn. Say there is Witch and KC in the kingdom. You draw $6. Without develop you would want to buy the witch. With develop you may want to pick up the gold with the plan to hit the gold with develop on the next shuffle.

Eh, I think this is kind of a bad example. The only time when you would actually want the Gold as Develop fodder is when you're assured to hit the Develop and Gold in the same hand. And even then, you might only want the Gold if you can obtain it coincidentally (e.g., through Mine or Mint).

i would also add a few things on develop (they actually concerns all TFB cards but worth the recall for develop)

It is also good when you have cards that are really good at first but whose value is either null or greatly decreased after a certain point in the game. Those type of cards means you will have trash folder with a decent cost in the middle game. in which cases a develop can work pretty good at recycling them into more useful cards at this point.

Some of these I agree on, others not so much. I almost never use Develop on $3s because not only is it rare that you can get both a good $2 and a good $4, but they're just so weak in general anyway that it's not worth the action spent. A lot of those cards that you listed can also perform well later in the game - some perform even better.

itchiko

• Baron
  • Hear me roar
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 06:06:55 pm »

Some of these I agree on, others not so much. I almost never use Develop on $3s because not only is it rare that you can get both a good $2 and a good $4, but they're just so weak in general anyway that it's not worth the action spent. A lot of those cards that you listed can also perform well later in the game - some perform even better.

Agree for the 3$ cards i realized it while typing the post and should have rework the post to remove 3$ cards instead of just adding the good 2$ card commentary. 2$ cards are not good enough to want to use develop to gain those from 3$ cards and if they are there is probably better way to accumulate them quickly (like a simple +buy)

As for some of the cards i listed possibly performing better end game than at start it can be true yes, so i probably needed to be a little more clear on that point that it is cards that can be used to accelerate your start (or slow the start of your opponent) and will shall short afterward in which cases they will be good fodder to a TFB. But they can also be part of the ending strategy in which cases you want to keep them.

Of course a Sea Hag with no curses left or an IGG are near always good target for TFB.

I could also talk about rats but since it is the effect of rats to replace bad card by another bad card but that is better for TFB of course it combos well with a TFB but that may be more part of an article about rats than about Develop.

edit: oops i did it again! just said that 3$ cards are bad with develop anyway and still took swindler as an example >_> so removed the that bad example from the post.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:30:56 pm by itchiko »

ooksoo

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 01:01:38 am »

this happen to be my favorite card for 2 reason, 1 not much people like to use develop, 2 is AWESOME!!!
here is a game that my gf played long time ago, develop really shines in this game,
http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130423/log.5114872ee4b0a7fa8c3a9919.1366762083769.txt

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 09:03:01 am »

How do we feel about Develop in alt-VP games—especially Gardens and Vineyard?

Develop/Feodum is apparently a thing...
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.