Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possession / Outpost bug?  (Read 2466 times)

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Possession / Outpost bug?
« on: August 19, 2011, 11:52:57 am »

I just played a game with Possession and Outpost, and every time I played Outpost AFTER a Possession turn of my opponent (so it was my next regular turn), I didn't get the additional Outpost turn.

This shouldn't be correct... if i'm not mistaken.

Here's the log (Turn 16 and 17):
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201108/19/game-20110819-084946-93f19a17.html

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Possession / Outpost bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 11:56:00 am »

If your opponent possesses you, YOU take an extra turn which he controls. That's one turn. Then you get your 'normal' turn. That's 2 turns. If you play an Outpost on this 'normal' turn, you will not get an extra turn because Outpost states that it "can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns". You will only draw three cards during your clean-up phase, though.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 12:02:26 pm »

But this was BEFORE my actual turn. I thought there was some kind of "reset" after an additional turn once I make my next regular one... And sure, if one plays an Outpost during a Possession turn, the possessed player draws only 3 cards, but those additional turns are connected. In my example those were two seperate things... but obviously I was wrong about this

Auroch

• Steward
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 12:24:19 pm »

The Outpost turn would be the 3rd consecutive "your" turn, so it doesn't happen. Don't buy Outpost if you think your opponent might buy Possession.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:28:34 pm »

But this was BEFORE my actual turn. I thought there was some kind of "reset" after an additional turn once I make my next regular one... And sure, if one plays an Outpost during a Possession turn, the possessed player draws only 3 cards, but those additional turns are connected. In my example those were two seperate things... but obviously I was wrong about this
Outpost says it can't make you take more than 2 turns in a row. Your Possessed turn is one of your turns. And your regular turn is a second turn in a row for you. So Outpost can't make you have a third consecutive turn. I believe this case is covered in the Possession FAQ in the rulebook.

Possession + Outpost makes for some of the most confusing and subtle card interactions in the game. One of the weirdest things that can happen (though I don't think it's implemented on isotropic) is if I play Possession twice on my turn, then make you play Outpost on the first Possession turn: after you draw the 3 cards during cleanup, I get to decide whether you play the Outpost turn or the 2nd Possessed turn next. Drew 3 Estates? No problem, I can let you control that 3-Estate hand (Outpost turn), then go back to Possessing your next 5-card hand. Or I can look at those 3 cards and decide I'd like to Possess them after all (instead of letting you play your Outpost turn first), and then the Outpost turn never happens and you get your regular turn with 5 cards.

edit: Removed a bunch of stuff that is highly questionable since it contradicts specific instructions in the rulebook (even though Donald's timing rulings on BGG seem to contradict the rulebook). If you're interested in subtle questions of Possession/Outpost timing check out this thread on BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/662495/outpost-and-possession
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:57:16 pm by guided »

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 08:43:04 pm »

Also flogged to death in a previous topic:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=160.0

which contains more links to bgg posts
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.598 seconds with 20 queries.