Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Outpost + Possession interaction  (Read 7152 times)

Frozyme

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Outpost + Possession interaction
« on: June 23, 2011, 05:06:32 pm »

I feel like I've been playing a lot of Possession or Outpost games recently against people that don't understand the basic intricacies of playing the card correctly (Possessing themselves on a possessed turn, or outposting on an outpost turn).
A while ago I ran into a game that had both Possession and Outpost in play - and it ended up throwing both of us for a curve.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110611-172350-c55f8e2c.html

On Turn 22 my opponent plays an outpost on a turn following a turn he was possessed
This resulted in the typical outpost turn after an outpost turn of drawing 3 cards, and him not getting an extra turn - which we both thought bizarre, but it makes sense if you consider the turn I had him possessed as his first turn even though I was controlling him.

On Turn 24, given my strong lead and his misinterpretation of the rules a few turns ago - I played outpost while possessing him, just to see what would happen - and what happened wasn't quite what I expected.
The result of this was that he got an outpost turn followed immediately by his regular turn.
Again, this makes relative sense given the order that the cards were played, and I can see the interaction - however it seems to contradict the wording on Outpost
"This can't cause you to take more than 2 consecutive turns"

Clearly this clause was the reason that his attempt on turn 22 failed - so it puzzles me what exactly was happening here.

I'm just curious if anyone has mapped out all of the possible Outpost + Possession interactions, who takes what turn when, and why this is the case - I can't imagine dealing with it in an in-person game.
(I also can't imagine what would happen when you start mixing Throne Roomed Possession turns and Outposts together)

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost + Possession interaction
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:36:16 pm »

They key word in "This can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns" is "This". In the second case, Outpost isn't the thing causing the third turn. Something else is causing the third turn (namely, the normal game rules).

I used to be confused about this too, but FWIW the issue is actually covered in the Alchemy rulebook's card FAQ for Possession.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:56:12 pm »

The Alchemy FAQ does cover this. It says that only Outpost is limited to 2 turns, and Output cannot prevent something else from giving you more than 2 turns.

So... the rules outline what happens when you play Outpost on a turn AFTER you were Possessed. You finish that turn, draw 3 cards, and DOH - no '3rd' turn for you.

If your opponent makes 'you' play Outpost DURING the turn you are Possessed, you get to play the outpost turn, and then you get a 3rd turn (your 2nd under your control).

Iso got it right. 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:01:38 pm »

I used to be confused about this too, but FWIW the issue is actually covered in the Alchemy rulebook's card FAQ for Possession.

In fact, about 25% of Alchemy's rulebook is for the Possession card.  No wonder people are confused by it.  I don't think I'd play it face-to-face just for those reasons.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Amaranth

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 04:12:47 pm »

I feel like I've been playing a lot of Possession or Outpost games recently against people that don't understand the basic intricacies of playing the card correctly (Possessing themselves on a possessed turn, or outposting on an outpost turn).
A while ago I ran into a game that had both Possession and Outpost in play - and it ended up throwing both of us for a curve.
Mind you, there are at least three good reasons to play Outpost on an Outpost turn.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 04:21:02 pm »

Mind you, there are at least three good reasons to play Outpost on an Outpost turn.

The only reason I can think of is to get rid of a card for a forthcoming Library/Watchtower play.  What are the others?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 04:25:14 pm »

The only reason I can think of is to get rid of a card for a forthcoming Library/Watchtower play.  What are the others?
Lowering the number of Outposts in your hand to 1 in order to play Menagerie for +3 Cards.
Incrementing the number of Actions played in the turn by 1 in order to lower the cost of Peddler by 2.

Any others?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Amaranth

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 05:48:42 pm »

Getting it out or your hand so that it's not trashed by Steward/Remake, and increasing the number of cards in play for Horn of Plenty. Oh, and playing it as the second action when you have Conspirator in your hand.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 08:12:33 pm »

Getting it out or your hand so that it's not trashed by Steward/Remake, and increasing the number of cards in play for Horn of Plenty. Oh, and playing it as the second action when you have Conspirator in your hand.
But you WANT to trash it to steward or remake - outpost is horrible.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 01:36:57 am »

You have two possessions played on you, the possessor plays Outpost on his first possessed turn, and decides that you should take your outpost turn from the 1st possession before the 2nd possessed turn occurs. On your outpost turn you play another Outpost so that the possessor will only start with 3 cards instead of 5 in the 2nd possessed turn.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 05:11:57 am »

I seem to recall a game where I played both Possession and Outpost on the same turn.  I took the other fellows turn, and then he went next.  When it came back to me again I had a three-card hand.

I suppose that Outpost counts the possession as a turn and so the Outpost is voided?
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 08:19:42 am »

I suppose that Outpost counts the possession as a turn and so the Outpost is voided?
Possession is not your turn. It's an opponent's turn that you're controlling.

Game log? I suspect you're misremembering what happened. Perhaps you were Possessed immediately before you took the turn on which you played Outpost, in which case the sequence you describe is exactly correct.

Assuming you didn't just take a turn before this one, if you play Outpost and Possession, you should take another turn (from Outpost), then you should Possess a turn for your opponent.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:21:51 am by guided »

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 08:29:16 am »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110528-111043-f75beaa2.html

turn 15

Ok I see it... My opponent used my Outpost while possessing me the turn before.  I got a bonus turn with three cards, followed by a regular turn in which I used Outpost.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:31:59 am by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.072 seconds with 21 queries.