Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Do we trust them with credit cards yet?  (Read 2338 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
Do we trust them with credit cards yet?
« on: September 21, 2012, 03:42:09 pm »

I don't know nothin' 'bout no security, but I know there were concerns in the past.  On the other hand, Dark Ages!
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
Re: Do we trust them with credit cards yet?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 03:42:47 pm »
+2

lol no

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 03:43:51 pm »

Someone said they had Paypal available.  Which should be fine?  Possibly.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:41:47 pm »

One thing most people don't realize is that credit card info is really easy to steal. It's stored by hundreds of merchants, and is more likely to be stolen via a pizza place (which may have terrible information security) than an online store.

Some estimates are that 1/3+ of credit card numbers are compromised by a fraudster. But for the fact that there are a lot of credit cards out there have you not been hit yet.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 02:24:54 pm »
+2

Looks like they collect credit cards entirely through external merchant systems, so you don't have to trust Goko themselves. Similarly, I only log into Goko through Google, so I never have to give them a password to store in whatever buggy system they use.

(Is it possible they're doing passwords correctly now? Sure, it's not actually that hard to do. But I look at the rest of that registration system and figure that the parts we can't see have to be just as buggy.)

The question is not whether your money is safe, because that's out of their hands. The question is, do you trust them to give you your money's worth? Do you pay for a defective product now in the hopes that it will be better later? For me the answer is no.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 03:25:41 pm »
+3

The question is, do you trust them to give you your money's worth? Do you pay for a defective product now in the hopes that it will be better later? For me the answer is no.

This man speaks the truth.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 11:18:47 am »

Looks like they collect credit cards entirely through external merchant systems, so you don't have to trust Goko themselves. Similarly, I only log into Goko through Google, so I never have to give them a password to store in whatever buggy system they use.

(Is it possible they're doing passwords correctly now? Sure, it's not actually that hard to do. But I look at the rest of that registration system and figure that the parts we can't see have to be just as buggy.)

The question is not whether your money is safe, because that's out of their hands. The question is, do you trust them to give you your money's worth? Do you pay for a defective product now in the hopes that it will be better later? For me the answer is no.

Question about this, because I don't really know how logging in via Google/Facebook/etc work. When you do log in this way, what do they actually receive from the portal you're choosing to use? Your screen name and a confirmation that tells them "Hey, this guy really is blahblah@gmail.com, let him in"? Does anything remotely compromising get sent over?

Also, I agree with you about deciding when to pay. No need to pay now, on the hope that things will be better - might as well just pay when they are better. Luckily, we're still just in beta phase.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.318 seconds with 22 queries.