Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 164  All

Author Topic: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME OVER, TOWN WINS  (Read 320851 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- DAY 2
« Reply #1575 on: October 01, 2012, 10:28:40 pm »

>.>

I had forgotten he had said that. I was simply referencing the hilarity of M-VI, but I think there's a solid chance this is the case.

This will make tracking who has it all the more important, because as he says, "Anybody who gives it to him should instantly be viewed as obvscum" - thus it's important that we always know where it's going - or at least where it came from.

I almost hesitate to say it but does that mean that people should give it to people they suspect to be town more than those they suspect to be mafia? Because if the first scum that gets it wants to take one for their team and pass it to ehunt, they can do that. Obviously that's bad for them though.

Actually, is the wine gonna go away once it hits even one scum? Because if the person who gave it to them outs them, they'll be lynched and the wine is never passed. The scum team would also have the chance to kill the person who passed it to them, and in that case, if the scum-who-has-the-wine just passes it to their nightkill target, it would be lost there too. Right?

So if all of the above is true, it makes it seem much safer to pass it to people who we think aren't scum but who aren't yet cleared. That way we can hopefully get a nice trail of confirmed townies before it is passed to scum.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: October 01, 2012, 10:33:51 pm »

On the topic of Galz post, This WIFOM is an interesting topic.  I have one open question; ehunt said a while ago that he doesn't want people to give him items, I believe.  Does anyone think this has any relation to the specific WIFOM cup?  I can think of a few interesting interactions but more than likelysomething I am overthinking a lot since something like this is a little out of my comfort zone as a new player.

PPE apparently this has already been brought up in the time that I was typing this.  so Cayvie, what do you mean by god damn it? Why does that necessarily throw a cog in the galz plan?

10/10.  Would read again.
In MVI, ehunt got drunk with his kickball team and posted several dozen times in a row. It was HILARIOUS and that's gotta be what Robz is referencing. He'll drink all the wine!

Aww ok, I was kinda hoping for a bigger conspiracy theory but I guess Occam's razor strikes again!

You can read it here if you want a laugh.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3074.2650

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: October 01, 2012, 10:34:45 pm »

Apparently I didn't scroll all the way down.  My response was: 10/10, would read again.  Its buried in the middle of those quotes... :(

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: October 01, 2012, 10:38:02 pm »

Needless to say, yes, I am the town drunk. If I get the glass of wine I will drink it all up and it will be removed from the game (I thought it was a bottle, but otherwise Galzria's understanding of the item matches mine).

However, as I already said -- I thought it was Glooble who breadcrumbed this (he mentioned a "minigame" with Grujah, then later referenced my embarrassing MVI incident). So either Galzria is lying (and killed Glooble!) or I was wrong. I am going to give Galzria the benefit of the doubt on this because it seems just way too ridiculous and gutsy to fake-claim (since he could just keep his mouth shut about the existence of the glass in the first place). So presumably I was wrong, in which case town got lucky that based on my mistake I sheeped Glooble's reads of Grujah and O. I am going to "trust but verify" this though, cause I really played the majority of D1 under the assumption that Grujah had the bottle/glass.

PPE - @DSell - as far as confirmed townies go, it's not that powerful of an investigative tool, since it only reveals descriptions (e.g. is it obvious from Grujah's leaked description that he was scum? I don't think so). So it's not the end of the world if a foolhardy scum gives it to me; that will out a scum for sure at the expense of losing the bottle.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:21 pm »

Here was my initial thought:

The holder each day announces that he possesses the Cup, along with anything he knows of who gave it to him. He does NOT reveal who he plans on giving it to. At night, a (secret) Doctor protects the original bearer. Both parties follow a town agreed upon action. At the dawn of the new day, first the original bearer claims who he gave it to, then the new owner confirms this.

This protects the player who currently holds it on any given day, while keeping the target random. This maximizesthe chances that we create confirmed town and force scum out. It also prevents scum from passing it to teammates who've already received it once - that is, they can't cycle it to themselves more than once thorough.

Obviously, a scum may lie about a result, so we can't take claims as absolutes, but if they lie about a townie, they're just outing themselves - and if they lie about a partner, well hopefully the chain will catch up to them.

My concerns:

Town -> Town is fine.
Town -> Scum - this is why I think the previous owner should claim first each day, because this is more likely than:
Scum -> Town - Scum must now really place the WIFOM to us, because is the recipient really town, or was it:
Scum -> Scum - Especially true if there are two teams. If he presents it to a teammate, he'll probably claim town result, but as soon as the Cup hits either of the two above we're in good shape.

Obviously a Strongman kill can overpower the Doctored original bearer, but at least the Cup stays in circulation. My biggest worry is if someone claims to have not received it, how do we handle that situation? Do we lynch the original bearer, on the premise that he lied about who he sent it to, therefore he is likely scum - or do we lynch the recipient who claims to have not received it? I would hate to lose track of it, and this scenario only outs one scum. Hmm..

However, don't take this as me directing PR's. It's just my initial thoughts on how best to handle the Cup. More thoughts always appreciated.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: October 01, 2012, 10:42:39 pm »

Also, I mean, we should agree to always drink if given the option, right?

And anyone who doesn't is obvscum?

Wouldn't that make Galz obv scum?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: October 01, 2012, 10:42:57 pm »

>.>

I had forgotten he had said that. I was simply referencing the hilarity of M-VI, but I think there's a solid chance this is the case.

This will make tracking who has it all the more important, because as he says, "Anybody who gives it to him should instantly be viewed as obvscum" - thus it's important that we always know where it's going - or at least where it came from.

I almost hesitate to say it but does that mean that people should give it to people they suspect to be town more than those they suspect to be mafia? Because if the first scum that gets it wants to take one for their team and pass it to ehunt, they can do that. Obviously that's bad for them though.

Actually, is the wine gonna go away once it hits even one scum? Because if the person who gave it to them outs them, they'll be lynched and the wine is never passed. The scum team would also have the chance to kill the person who passed it to them, and in that case, if the scum-who-has-the-wine just passes it to their nightkill target, it would be lost there too. Right?

So if all of the above is true, it makes it seem much safer to pass it to people who we think aren't scum but who aren't yet cleared. That way we can hopefully get a nice trail of confirmed townies before it is passed to scum.

I clarified this with Robz today:

The person I choose was officially presented the Wine the moment I sent him the name. Thus if I was lynched yesterday, the new owner would still have possession.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: October 01, 2012, 10:54:10 pm »

Also, I mean, we should agree to always drink if given the option, right?

And anyone who doesn't is obvscum?

Wouldn't that make Galz obv scum?

...no, because we hadn't agreed on this yet.

You're trolling, right?
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: October 02, 2012, 01:42:39 am »

I dont think descriptions really help determine alignment.  Mine only indicates role, grujah's indicated role, I assume the same is for everyone.  I dont think the wine is worth too much protection.  In fact I think we should give it to eHunt, I don't want scum to be able to rolehunt.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: October 02, 2012, 02:10:43 am »

I think I was pretty clear why Joth gave me a bad vibe.  Its not exactly that he wanted to look off wagon; like I said, I might want to as well.  However, to that quickly go out and say it without any supporting evidence is a little scummy to me.  Granted it has been a long night, he could have been developing these ideas in his brain for a while and it just gets vomited out because he thinks its obvious after all the time spent thinking about it.  I dont know, but if he were to have just at least given a little more of a reason why before directing everyone I'd be cool.

joth's post didn't read as "directing" at all.  What he posted really is obvious, and characterizing his simple post as "vomit" is just ugh.  I don't think I had a town read on jo before, but my scum read on you is bleeding over to make jo look better.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: October 02, 2012, 03:46:53 am »

I'm reading the last portion of the day, when Grujah's wagon really got rolling.

Morgrim hunting.  shraeye starts in #1324.  Axxle joins in #1340.  jo jumps on in #1417, after the wagon on Grujah gains momentum (and he half-defends Gruj in #1453).  sparky is next in #1454, and that particular post is somewhat interesting in that I feel he makes a lot of really questionable observations and arguments (by the way, I find it curious how Axxle told sparky to focus on me).  Dsell joins that wagon in #1468.  More thoughts on that below.  jo switches to Grujah in #1484 to make it L-2 on Gruj... that could be an eleventh hour bus.  Axxle indicates intent to hammer in #1486 and asks Gruj to claim.  I note this because it could also be a late bus, along with giving his buddy a chance to try to talk his way out if he has it in him.  Hammer actually comes in #1495.

In #1440 Young Nick asks yuma to go after a lurker other than Grujah (naming himself, Glooble and igb).  I recall finding this strange the first time through, and it looks even weirder now.  Maybe I'm missing contest, though this could be read as trying to derail the Grujah wagon.  I actually asked about this in #1459 and Nick never answered.

ashersky suggests no lynch in #1441.  Worth noting, though ultimately this doesn't give me a read on him one way or the other.

In #1442 TheMunch all but defends Grujah.  He basically says he has a town read on Gruj, then argues in depth that a Grujah lynch would be uninformative, once again misrepresenting my arguments on info-lynches.  And then he tries to cast more suspicion on me, saying he finds my vote "interesting" (which not-so-subtle negative undertones) even though he admits that I'm being completely self-consistent.

In #1468, Dsell votes for Morgrim and defends Grujah.  He had originally listed Gruj as third choice, which would be a very good place for scum to put scumbuddy -- "ooh, kind of suspicious, but there are other people I would rather vote for."  But in this post, Dsell renounces that position and suggests that Gruj is starting to look like the usual d1 mislynch.  That argument did not ring true to me at all, as can be seen in subsequent conversation between me and Dsell, posts #1470-#1480.  #1474 and #1480 especially read like a scumbuddy trying to defend his teammate.

So to summarize -- people who tried to lynch Morg include shraeye, Axxle, jo, sparky and Dsell.  jo and Axxle jump ship late to take Grujah down.  The switch of either player might be bussing; OTOH, they could have tried to wait it out into no lynch.  If one of Grujah's buddies bussed him, I expect it would be either jo or Axxle.  Probably not both, though it's possible.

Of the others on the Morgrim wagon, shraeye gets a bit of a pass simply because he doesn't know Morgrim's meta like the rest of us do.  sparky kind of gets that pass as well (though as noted above, I find his play so far questionable at best, PLUS he inherits some baggage from Volt in that case-gone-wrong on me, PLUS there is that weird thing where Axxle told him to focus on me).  Certainly Axxle, jo and Dsell should know better.  Dsell comes out the worst for defending known scum with some arguments that I thought were bad even before the flip.

Nick looks bad to me solely for #1440.  Young Nick, I still want you to answer my question to you in #1459.

ftl's voting analysis in #1553 gives the following counts (in descending order):

Munch: 8
ashersky: 7
Voltaire: 6
Volt/sparky: 4/1
Dsell: 4
CF: 3
shraeye: 3 (including lots on O)
igb: 2
Insomniac: 2, very early
Nick: 2

Alarm bells ring in my head every time Munch posts, and all this analysis makes me very comfortable to Vote: TheMunch.

Based on ftl's analysis, I'm very interested in whether ashersky and Voltaire ever weighed in on Grujah's wagon.

While I think Munch is scummiest by far, there are quite a few others who look scummy to me, as per the above.  Dsell looks quite bad.  I think jo would be my third... after noting that he got onto the wagon very late, the "not a lot of bussing" comment in #1512 does sound a bit hollow.  Still, I don't find it worthy of three quick votes.  jo's statement is only strange in light of his late position on the Grujah wagon; this is something that none of his early voters bring up.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: October 02, 2012, 04:11:38 am »

Ill read your whole post later ehalc, but wanted to say that I wanted sparky to focus on you since volt had a read on you.  I wanted to see how sparky would read you in light of that.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: October 02, 2012, 04:15:58 am »

I dont think descriptions really help determine alignment.  Mine only indicates role, grujah's indicated role, I assume the same is for everyone.  I dont think the wine is worth too much protection.  In fact I think we should give it to eHunt, I don't want scum to be able to rolehunt.

I am not sure what to make of this WIFOM (aside: I think we need a different acronym to refer to the object vs. the concept).  It seems like it has the potential to help, but it's really not that potent.  It'll work ~50% of the time (unless we come to a system, I suppose), and even when descriptions do get made known, they probably won't be very helpful for ID purposes.  I'm sure Robz structured it that way on purpose.

FWIW: I notice that Grujah's description says that he "won (lost?) the random number generator contest".  With that and my own role PM, I expect that people with especially powerful or interesting roles will be considered "winners" while others will have less favourable impressions of the RNG.  Note I am not claiming one way or the other whether my description calls me a winner or loser.  I am noting that my status as RNG winner/loser corresponds to the power of my role.  So perhaps the wine can be used as a decent investigative tool, if not the best.

Anyway, I don't agree with Axxle's concern.  Yes, it might help scum rolehunt... but only once, and doing so would just as well let the other player see the scum player's own description.  Again, it might be rather innocuous... or it might not.

I actually have a different concern, and it once again dips into conspiracies.  Eevee, now confirmed town, had reason to believe there was a cult in the town (caveat: I think Eevee only said he knew of a recruiting faction -- it might not be a cult at all).  Drinking from a glass of wine certainly seems like something that would be done as initiation into some secret order.  That Galz started with it could be a reference to RMMI, where Galz was a cult leader.  Then again, that would be a rather overt reference, not as subtle as ehunt's drunkenness.  Well, maybe subtle isn't the right word -- "unexpected" or "meta" might be a better description.  Anyway, keep in mind that a "drink our wine" initiation would work just as well for Masonry or even a Neighborhood as it would for a Cult.  And again, this is conspiracy theory stuff.

Anyway, the possible danger there is the main reason I'd be interested in letting ehunt drink ALL the wine.  I have a huge town read on ehunt (caveat: might be because he defended me on day 1, which is not the best way to get reads) so I will sheep him on this particular matter.  Since ehunt seems to believe the wine is a force for good, then I will consider it as such until I have reason to believe otherwise.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: October 02, 2012, 04:16:15 am »

Ill read your whole post later ehalc, but wanted to say that I wanted sparky to focus on you since volt had a read on you.  I wanted to see how sparky would read you in light of that.

Reasonable.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: October 02, 2012, 05:59:14 am »

FWIW: I notice that Grujah's description says that he "won (lost?) the random number generator contest".  With that and my own role PM, I expect that people with especially powerful or interesting roles will be considered "winners" while others will have less favourable impressions of the RNG.  Note I am not claiming one way or the other whether my description calls me a winner or loser.  I am noting that my status as RNG winner/loser corresponds to the power of my role.  So perhaps the wine can be used as a decent investigative tool, if not the best.

This paragraph gives me a moderate townread on eHal, for complicated reasons involving my (obvtown) role description not having a reference to winning or losing the RNG at all.

There's some wine involved, but suffice it to say, I don't think scum eHal would mention a particular similarity between his role PM and another scum role PM.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile

Having looked through I have 2 things to say about Grujah.  First, he doesn't really come off to me as scummy in the way hes been talking.  That being said, there hasn't been much information about grujah from earlier, aka, this is exactly what ehalc feared when we were discussing lynching for information; everyone is jumping on grujah to get a lynch but there will be nothing gained from it, as some seem to have little reason (see: he is the scummiest of the people that have the most votes that I'd be willing to get on).  My vote will stay where it is.

PS I find it interesting that ehalc mentioned that if people just vote for someone to get them to die, we gain no information because everyone has an excuse.  Yet ehalc is voting for grujah.  I know he voiced different reasons for doing so but I just find it interesting.

PPE: @ashersky I'm gonna claim newbie on this one but, holy cow 25 people is a lot to keep track of and just from a "one less person to keep in my brain" standpoint I dont think I could go today with no lynch.  I know people are going to die in the night but my brain cant take it.  This shit is hard.

So, this is the post that Ehalcyon was referencing and I can say I was TOTALLY defending grujah... /sarcasm.  Wait, thats not what I was doing at all.  I was expressing that I didn't have the scummiest of reads on grujah and I didn't really like any of the reasons people were jumping on him.  In fact in my next post, 1458:
Ok, that Grujah lynch is really picking up speed. L-4.

The part of me that wants the longest day ever to be over with is fighting with the part of me that thinks Grujah is town and therefore a bad lynch.

I agree with this.  Although my read on Grujah isnt town, its nothing.
I explain that I didn't really have a protown read on Grujah either.
The closest thing to an argument I had to get on the Grujah wagon was the argument that he kept only coming back to defend himself very shortly after he got votes (I forget who said it).  However, he was dead before I could check whether or not this is the case (so I never did; I should do that).  The thing I'd be looking for is whether or not he actually came to defend himself every time he accumulated some number of votes.  The fact that he came back after votes sometime isn't nearly as strong an argument as coming back after votes every time.

But great, we killed scum day 1 and I'm happy for that, but I really dont think there is much to go on (or at least past me did; I intend to reread to get more specific evidence about which I am talking) because as the wagon developed I really didn't feel that people had any strong cases against him and he was jumped on for being "today's lynch".  I also had pointed out earlier that one of the first people that grew the wagon did it because "there were a bunch of people at 2 votes and Grujah felt the scummiest".  Thats not really good information to pull from and I dont like it.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 02, 2012, 10:27:32 am »

Munch does not really seem happy enough about our lynch. "Great, we killed scum D1, but...." There's no but. Killing scum D1 is huge. In a town this size, where so many of us were doubting we'd even get a majority to lynch at all that we came up with like 3 different plans to do so, and then we actually do pull a majority together and lynch scum? That's a friggin miracle.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- ROLES SENT
« Reply #1592 on: October 02, 2012, 10:35:08 am »

Vote Count 2.2

ashersky (2) -- Cuzz, watno
jotheonah (1) -- ashersky
TheMunch (1) -- eHalcyon

Not Voting (17) -- Ftl, sparky5856, Insomniac, Dsell, Jotheonah, Young Nick, Voltaire, Axxle, Cayvie, Yuma, ibgtennis, Morgrim7, Galzria, Captain_Frisk, ehunt, shraeye, TheMunch

With 21 alive it takes 11 to lynch. Deadline is Sunday, October 15, at 10:00 PM (EDT).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: October 02, 2012, 11:35:07 am »

@Munch - I'm not going to be a jerk like Cuzz here, but we absolutely have something to go on.

Ordinarily, we'll lynch town, and we'll look at the people who pushed the wagon and call them all scum because they lynched a townie.

Today we get to do the opposite.  Who DIDN'T help lynch grujah and why?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:21 am »

@Munch - I'm not going to be a jerk like Cuzz here, but we absolutely have something to go on.

Ordinarily, we'll lynch town, and we'll look at the people who pushed the wagon and call them all scum because they lynched a townie.

Today we get to do the opposite.  Who DIDN'T help lynch grujah and why?

Yeah I didn't mean to be very poo poo about the fact that we lynched town day 1.  I can definitely see why, after having played a ton of games where town ultimately gets lynched D1, it is very exciting to go into day 2 under a differently light.  But maybe I am a little skeptical, being my first time and all, and I kind of want to both not count out that there are no scum on the wagon, and look at the people who actively were pushing against the grujah wagon.  I still need to go back and do the reread of the development of the grujah wagon to see what actually went down.  Maybe it was the amount of attention I paid but the whole wagon seemed to go down very quickly so I would love to reevaluate what actually happened.  I'll be back when I do that.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: October 02, 2012, 12:29:01 pm »

I actually have a different concern, and it once again dips into conspiracies.  Eevee, now confirmed town, had reason to believe there was a cult in the town (caveat: I think Eevee only said he knew of a recruiting faction -- it might not be a cult at all).  Drinking from a glass of wine certainly seems like something that would be done as initiation into some secret order.  That Galz started with it could be a reference to RMMI, where Galz was a cult leader.  Then again, that would be a rather overt reference, not as subtle as ehunt's drunkenness.  Well, maybe subtle isn't the right word -- "unexpected" or "meta" might be a better description.  Anyway, keep in mind that a "drink our wine" initiation would work just as well for Masonry or even a Neighborhood as it would for a Cult.  And again, this is conspiracy theory stuff.

Anyway, the possible danger there is the main reason I'd be interested in letting ehunt drink ALL the wine.  I have a huge town read on ehunt (caveat: might be because he defended me on day 1, which is not the best way to get reads) so I will sheep him on this particular matter.  Since ehunt seems to believe the wine is a force for good, then I will consider it as such until I have reason to believe otherwise.

I think if the wine were initiation into a cult, it would be borderline bastard mod. The description I received of what the wine does (initiates a subgame where possibly the descriptions of the two players are revealed to each other) matched Galz's more or less on the nose (I say more or less because my description of the subgame was vaguer). I guess Robz didn't say "this is an exhaustive list of what the wine does," but still...

Nonetheless, out of heightened paranoia - let's change the default town response to an offer to be don't drink.

There's one other thing the wine does if it's given to me: if a town-aligned power role gives me the wine, I involuntarily "blab" the power role to everyone. If a VT or scum gives me the wine, this doesn't happen. I do not understand the flavor that differentiates between VT/scum and power-role-town, but the rule is what it is: it's basically strictly anti-town, since it doesn't serve to differentiate scum from town, it only exposes town PRs.

Yesterday I didn't want to disclose this because I thought it was possible that scum would give me the wine in spite of my "don't give me the wine" post and argue that they gave me the wine because they didn't believe me. I wanted to be able, if this happened, to catch them in a lie by making them false-claim a power role. But this is no longer necessary, since it seems everyone agrees that whoever gives me the wine is just definitely scum. So it means we can just make an exception to that rule: if you are a town power role, and you are about to be lynched, and you happen to have the wine, you can give it to me to get your townitude mod-confirmed. It seems unlikely that all three of those things are going to happen simultaneously, but just so people know. Does this make sense to people? I feel inarticulate as I type this.

I don't think the wine is that pro-town, since it only has a 50% chance of working and descriptions are not giveaways to alignment. So losing it won't be the end of the world. We can agree that VTs should give it to me under no circumstances and town PRs should only give it to me if they're about to be lynched.

By the way, I'm nearly certain that Robz designed my role before he chose my alignment. What follows is a long "proof" of that fact, the tl;dr is bolded below. I think I may have said this yesterday, but let me explain in detail.

Yesterday I had debated starting a case on eevee on the following grounds: eevee got special role info indicating the existence of a cult. Now, why would Robz give that to a townie? A townie will just rat out the cult (as eevee did). The only way it's interesting is if eevee is scum and has to debate whether to let the town in on the extra knowledge or not.

The reason I didn't start the case is that I realized my own role had a similar weird catch: why not just tell the wine-owner not to give me the wine (as I - thought - I did!)? Yeh, if the wine-owner is scum, he'll just give me the wine, but then everyone will know he's scum because I just announced to the whole topic not to give me the wine. After I posted I then wondered if there was maybe a timing issue - the point being that scum could give me the wine and NK me before I could say who gave me the wine. I worried that I had screwed up, but at the time I was certain that Glooble had the bottle and relatively certain that we had communicated this fact between the two of us successfully (now I feel a little like one of those schizophrenic music fans who thinks the band is encoding personal messages...).

Anyway, I think my sort of "personality-related extra" (and presumably also eevee's) is designed to have interesting strategic value both for scum and for town, and that's why there's some "wait, why can't I break this by just doing x?" aspects of both these roles. Samesies for Axxle's double-vote. In other words, I think that Robz developed personality-related extras, then randomized alignment. This also seems like the fairest way to both "incorporate people's personalities" and still have a game that's not broken (nobody wants to have a "so-and-so's a jerk, so he's probably mafia" argument).

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 02, 2012, 12:29:24 pm »

So I wanted to at least compile all of the voting reasons for the Grujah votes.  Because ehunt voted so long about on Grujah, I have him listed that he didn't give a reason but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it was explained earlier, I just didn't bother hunting for it.  I didn't quote people, I just copy pasted their responses and put them in quotes below.  This was less work for me.  Ok here it is:

Glooble Votes Grujah in 479 for "showing up, voting on me, and disappearing."
ehunt Votes Grujah in 1295 without giving a reason.

WAGON START:
1375: (Yuma) "I will change my vote to someone with 2 votes on them to see if we can start getting a consensus, but everyone that has 2 votes I have a town read on except Grujah"
1386: (Galzria) "I agree. He was in one of my top 3, and we really should start looking to consolidate. Since my #1 choice (eHal) seems to be met with equal parts adamant opposition and slight consideration, it really doesn't seem to be a productive choice. So I'll vote where there we might get something going - the fact that it's not on a town-read makes it all the better for me."
1404: (eHal) "I think he has lurked hard, which is really unusual for him.  He returns just when it starts to heat up for him, and his posts read scummy.  This wagon has a decent chance of lift-off, and I have decent reads on most on the wagon so far (not sure of the vote count though).  Chance of lynch success does play a factor here, but Gruj's lurkiness is the major reason.  It's not like he has been V/LA -- his post history shows that he has been active in Cosmic Encounter, at least.  Why not drop in with some remarks during all of yesterday's drama?  Maybe because he is scum and thought it would be safer to let townies argue themselves to a mislynch."
1433: (Eevee) "Grujah's defence doesn't read genuine to me"
1445: (Morgrim) "because he is the most likely person to be lynched"
1479: (ftl) "I didn't realize that about the timing of his posts, that's pretty bad."
1484: (joth) "Galz (argument about post timing) has got me convinced too"
1495: (Axxle) "Yaaaay!" (he really wanted to hammer)

So that is a collection of all the voting reasons for Grujah and it seems really flaky.  Yuma starts the wagon because he felt he was the least town of the people with the most votes.  Galz abandoned his first choice for a "more likely" target, and this was only when he had 3 votes.  At least he said he didn't have a town read.  Ehal is the first to actually bring up some points but really is only beating on him for lurkiness.  Eevee gets a scum read from Grujah's defense.  Morgrim votes because Grujah is likely.  Ftl and joth sheeps posting pattern argument. Then axxle hammers.

I'm sorry for not being ecstatic that we lynched scum day 1 with a wagon like this.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile

In the Glooble-Grujah wars I sympathize with Glooble, which makes me want to vote for Grujah.

@TheMunch here was my one-sentence case (it was intentionally buried in a whole bunch of other thoughts because at the time I thought Glooble had the wine and I did not want to alert scum of this)

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile

In the Glooble-Grujah wars I sympathize with Glooble, which makes me want to vote for Grujah.

@TheMunch here was my one-sentence case (it was intentionally buried in a whole bunch of other thoughts because at the time I thought Glooble had the wine and I did not want to alert scum of this)

Ah cool thanks for the info.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 02, 2012, 12:46:03 pm »

I realized I left someone off this list.  I realized this when I went back and saw cuzz responding to me for "our lynch" but I had missed him on my first read so I was confused.  He votes on post 1407 with the reason "He was gonna be my second choice anyway and we need to make sure a lynch happens. I apparently suck at saying anything productive on D1 so I'll be happy to get it over with."
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 164  All

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 16 queries.