Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 164  All

Author Topic: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME OVER, TOWN WINS  (Read 318877 times)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile

Uh, shouldn't ever sleep, so much to read.

People striking to me as scummy:

-Morgrim (!!) - I know this is starting to get old but seriously, it's not like he is guaranteed to draw town always. In fact, despite what Robz claims, I could very easily see him making Morg mafia just to see it happen. I'm very surprised to see no one suspect him, and it actually makes him even scummier in my mind. If people want quotes on this, I'll look up the incident with shraeye's sarcasm, that's the most damning evidence I think (yes I've been lazy with notes, should seriously stop reading these on mobile devices >_>).

-Glooble - Playing exactly like scum Glooble. Surely a smart guy, why isn't he being more helpful?

-Grujah - NOT playing like town Grujah. Where are you buddy?

b]Vote: Morgrim7[/b], but interested in pursuing Glooble and Grujah too. So sad I can only vote for one guy.

@Galzria
You are not making much sense right now. I don't think you are mafia and town Galz can do better than that.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

Guys, Galz is simply trying to drive home a point, or perhaps a principle... and it is one that I tend to agree with. But I think the middle ground is perhaps the best: we shouldn't just lynch lurkers for being lurkers, nor should we let them off the hook. We should question them as to why they are lurking, as them specific questions and see how they respond.

For example

ibgtennis: is there any thing else that you find scummy about ftl beside his vote and pressure on you? What do you think of the other wagons that developed while you were gone (ehunt, dsell, yuma and shraeye?)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile

@Galzria
You are not making much sense right now. I don't think you are mafia and town Galz can do better than that.

I disagree a ton. Galzria is making a perfectly rational response to an irrational town.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile

@Galzria

I disagree a ton. Galzria is making a perfectly rational response to an irrational town.
I like what yuma said, agree with that.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

some questions for some other "lurkers":

Glooble: Glooble, you say that you are playing with a "what would I do if I were scum" in this game? What would you be doing if you were scum? What would your game plan be?

O: why didn't you claim jester this game? Did Robz actually assign you this role...? Meta-alert!

Cuzz: why do you think compiling a list like the one I made is town?  What did you think of the list itself? Do you think it had accurate reads?

Watno: you said the wagon on me looked scummy? is there a player in particular who jumps out at you?

Frisk: what did you think of the wagon that formed on me? Do you still want your vote on TheMunch?

ashersky: I know you are going to be gone for a while, but when you get back: who do you agree with jot or Galz in regard to the lurker question?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile

First off,
Vote: O
Your take on voltaire/ehunt is simply terrible.  Not your conclusions, you may be correct, but for god's sake, why not put down some explanation.  I am willing to read almost any argument, but what are you hoping for here?  somebody reads your assessment and goes "yeah! O's pretty cool and a veteran.  I bet his read is correct!"  That sounds a lot stupider than any assessment that could cause someone to go "I hadn't thought of it that way, I find myself agreeing with that argument."

Second, yuma's analysis reminded me that I wanted to talk about watno.  Yuma's analysis seems to point out some contradictions.  Like first he doesn't see me as scummy then does.  So I wanted to know what changed.  watno explained himself by saying I was acti-lurking.  But yuma's summary of him talking heavily about acti-lurking makes me feel super suspicious.  Why are you voting shraeye for doing something that you are also doing?  I decided to go look into his posts and come up with my own interpretation.  Here is that effort

Post #250 watno says that he's played Mafia before (in German)
#262 possibly real suspicion, possible joke that Morgrim needs help to "play scum."
#326 describe's glooble's "no quantifiable reason yet" vote on shraeye as possibly sheeping; decides that I'm nitpicky but not scum
#328 corrects yuma's misinterpretation of ehunts one-per-day statement
#373 This will be major point A
#377 Says that actively lurking is more scummy than regular lurking
#379 clarifies previous post by saying what acti-lurking is
#608 long time between posts; This is major point B

Major point A
Refuses to see content in my posts.
When a quick wagon formed on my sarcasm, that was understandable.  But I was waiting for the steam to pick up in a different way.  What I mean is, the people who voted me because they thought they caught a "scummy scumslip" just hadn't yet arrived in their minds to the punchline of the joke.  But still, that was a large portion of people and some disagreed with that.  So I had a large wagon, but also had plenty of people who explicitly weren't willing to vote for me based on sarcasm.  If I were scum watching that happen, I would look for an opportunity to jump on, add a vote, BUT DO IT FOR A DIFFERENT REASON.  So it adds strength to the wagon not only in terms of another vote, but also so that people who didn't want to vote based onsarcasm now had the opportunity to vote for another reason.  watno fit this description.
vote shraeye
I guess this is a good example of acti-lurking. We shouldn't discuss about what words to use, but find scum. If you didn't get what ashersky wanted to say, why not just ask?
Its not completely clear what he means by this, so I looked at the last few posts I made.  In #373 right before that I made a 3 paragraph argument seeing what I would do if I were axxle with the double vote.  That feels like actual content to me and to say that I was "only posting stuff that's not relevant to the game" (that's your definition of acti-lurking from #379) is as false of an assessment as you could make.  The post I made before #373 was #369. That has "point number A" that also speculates about double-vote "point number B" that was a defense of myself describing the situation as it developed from my perspective (sorry, is defending oneself acti-lurking? because that also feels to me like content relevant to the game) "point number B and a half" is me talking about my increased levels of sarcasm and answering cayvie's post.  None of those seem like I'm posting stuff not relevant to the game, especially when I've been pushed by people to explain myself (cayvie, morgrim, etc).  In the post before #369, (disregarding the +1 for a good joke) I gave everyone my post totals, as this helps us see who's being active, and I thought my numbers were a better picture of that then Insomniac's.
There is no way that these are content-less posts irrelevant to the game, so for you to say I'm actilurking and try to paint me with that brush feels like you're simply looking for another reason for the wagon on me to keep growing.  A very scummy push.

Major point B
Trying simply to shoot everyone down instead of actually scumhunting.
He goes after Voltaire for "knowing" that O is lurking intentionally, continues his false argument that all I'm doing is talking about words,  jumps on TheMunch for trying to keep posts tidy by waiting for ehunt to finish his 7-point multi-post before TheMunch answered ehunt's question to him.  Then he jumps on Frisk for policy voting TheMunch and then not unvoting, FoS's the entire yuma wagon for not realizing yuma's mistake was honest, pokes Morgrim for being late to understand that shray is sarcastic, questions how Voltgloss "knows" there's scum on yumas wagon, chides and votes for the lurkers, then winks at sarcastic joth.
Wowie zowie.  You just shot down 7 people/factions.  Actually 5 people, 1 entire wagon, and a pair of lurkers.  I'm all for pointing out consistencies, but the problem here is you point out so many and all so weakly, that you are pointing the smallest of "fingers of suspicion" in every direction instead of focusing your attention and effort on actually finding scum.  I suppose the strategy is vocally suspect everyone just a bit, so that nobody's feathers get ruffled, then point out on day 2 that you were right, trying to gain town cred.  To me, this is much more suspicious than a lot of things I've seen going on so far.  Seriously, you found all of these things suspicious and off, but none of them were worth a more in depth look at the offending parties?

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile

Wait, I'm reading my post and there's an unclear bit I'm clarifying here.  One time when I said "this" i wasn't referencing an object, i was referencing the word "this".  fixed here.

watno fit this description.
vote shraeye
I guess this is a good example of acti-lurking. We shouldn't discuss about what words to use, but find scum. If you didn't get what ashersky wanted to say, why not just ask?
Its not completely clear what he means by the word "this", so I looked at the last few posts I made.  In #373 right before that I made a 3 paragraph argument seeing what I would do if I were axxle with the double vote. 

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile

Oh, I just went over my role pm again because I always miss stuff and this time was no different.

I have mod-confirmed information that there is a faction in this game that can recruit people. I would guess we are probably dealing with a cult then. Would be pretty sweet to get the cult leader early, those things tend to be pretty powerful..

For some reason I'm under the impression Robz doesn't like having two scum teams, so I'm thinking it's one big scum team, a cult and maybe a serial killer.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile

This is Shraeye's 4th consecutive vote on me. Posting patterns strongly imply there is no posting restriction.

Also, not one person has given a reason why I'm scummy. Only unhelpful.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Oh, I just went over my role pm again because I always miss stuff and this time was no different.

I have mod-confirmed information that there is a faction in this game that can recruit people. I would guess we are probably dealing with a cult then. Would be pretty sweet to get the cult leader early, those things tend to be pretty powerful..

For some reason I'm under the impression Robz doesn't like having two scum teams, so I'm thinking it's one big scum team, a cult and maybe a serial killer.

Ugh, if there is a cult, there better be some catch to it.  Standard cults almost always win.  Not to rolefish, but is there anything you can safely reveal about your mod-confirmed info?  If there is actually a cult, I think it actually takes priority over mafia hunting.  If a cult isn't snuffed out quickly, it becomes unstoppable.

But are you certain it's a faction?  Maybe it's just a Neighborhood.  Or Masons (though perhaps they would be considered Town faction anyway).

@Cult Leader, please recruit me so I can win with you.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile

This is Shraeye's 4th consecutive vote on me. Posting patterns strongly imply there is no posting restriction.

If you believe not pro-town is scummy, then all of the reasons you're unhelpful are reasons why you're scummy.

From my point of view, I can't possibly imagine how what you're doing is both pro-town and unhelpful, and the right play.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile

Here's my scum-reason. Unhelpful=scummy.  But that's just too easy.  Here's a reason that you are scummy.  Remember when you said that a lynch of O wouldn't give any interesting information about other people since you aren't involved in any discussions.

Well flip that around and it means no matter who gets lynched, we are unable to guess/speculate anything about your alignment based on your relation to them.  And that is not only unhelpful, but puts personal survival way above the town making good decisions.  And that is a position that I can only ascribe to scum.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Maybe shraeye is a hydra.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile

Can we talk a little more about O convincing Cayvie to pull back the vote with a nothing argument?  I dont understand why that is not a thing.  Eevee said it; I would like more said.  I dont know by who or about what.  However, I dont know whether to side with Cayvie for following her own no-town-lynch rule and correcting the mistake or to side against Cayvie for breaking it so easily.

I said this early this morning and cuzz managed to allow this to roll passed unnoticed with the help of joking dismissal from Ashersky (600 and 601).  I did a reread of the entire goings down and I can at least confirm to myself that this is suspicious as hell and isn't just my morning-tired-brain playing tricks on me.  I know there has been a lot thats been said today that deserves to be responded to, but that doesn't make this cayvie vote/unvote any less of an issue.

Dont worry guys, this was 4 pages ago, so I'll do the work of catching you all up.  Please pay attention, there will be a test at the end:

He must really not like you then, uh? What else do you know?

I know you all aren't going to end up lynching me, and this lurker-hunt has done nothing but spawn several contentless pages.

::) vote: O if you're gonna be like that
keep it coming. Only scum though, wouldn't want a townie to be mislynched because they got triggerhappy and chased after me.

No. Wait. There wont be a test at the end.  Theres going to be a test right now.  Question number 1, pens and paper out: What does this actually mean.  Clearly, O is trying to make a friendly jab back at Cayvie for calling him out with her vote, but his response doesn't actually make any sense.  If he is trying to call out Cayvie, then what does it matter if town or scum jump on his wagon?

This is suspiciously followed up by Cayvie's next post:
oh good point

unvote
No, Cayvie, it wasn't a good point.  It was nonsense and wasn't worth either you agreeing with it, or your subsequent unvote.

This is where it gets fun.  Eevee calls Cayvie out on this.
Do you have a post restriction, cayvie?

no, what's up?
if your comment was a joke, that unvote was weird. if it wasn't a joke, it's even weirder.
eh, mostly just realized i didn't want to be voting O, and decided to say some other words along with it
i see. it was weird because what O said was really not a good point at all..

Question number 2.  And this is for everyone in the audience, specifically Cayvie and anyone else that voted O to get him out from lurking and then let him get off with say-nothing-arguments, what has O actually contributed (other than a solid holier-than-thou attitude with which I am personally not amused) that he deserves to get off the hook so easily?

But more importantly question number 3.  I dont want to get cayvie to give anymore information.  But what I do want is for Cayvie to explain why she felt it necessary to convey how important it was that she not accidentally be caught on a town lynch and then subsequently throw around her vote haphazardly while following it with an immediate withdrawl for no reason.  It was suspicious as hell and I want answers.

Test is out of 100, I'll be collecting papers in the back.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME START, DAY 1
« Reply #664 on: September 18, 2012, 05:42:21 pm »

Vote Count 1.10

shraeye (2) -- Axxle
ehunt (2) -- O, Jotheonah
O (5) -- ashersky, shraeye, TheMunch, Watno, Galzria
Glooble (1) -- Grujah
TheMunch (1) -- Captain_Frisk
Grujah (1) -- Glooble
yuma (3) -- cayvie, Voltaire, Morgrim7
Voltaire (2) -- Insomniac, ehunt
igbtennis (1) -- ftl
ftl (1) -- ibgtennis

Not Voting (7) -- Young Nick, eHalcyon, Dsell, yuma, Eevee, Voltgloss, Cuzz

With 25 alive it takes 13 to lynch. Day 1 deadline is Saturday, September 29th at 1:00 PM (EDT)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Re: post 663 (not quoting because it's big with lots of nested quotes)

O is saying that he only wants scum to vote for him.  If he gets lynched because of a triggerhappy townie, that townie may fall under suspicion when O flips town, and then that townie might subsequently be mislynched.

cayvie says that this is a good point and unvotes, implying she is town and wouldn't want to be mislynched due to chasing after O, who could flip town.

That's what I got out of those quotes.  It leaves me neutral on them.

ibgtennis

• View Profile
    • Alone in the Green Room

Guys, Galz is simply trying to drive home a point, or perhaps a principle... and it is one that I tend to agree with. But I think the middle ground is perhaps the best: we shouldn't just lynch lurkers for being lurkers, nor should we let them off the hook. We should question them as to why they are lurking, as them specific questions and see how they respond.

For example

ibgtennis: is there any thing else that you find scummy about ftl beside his vote and pressure on you? What do you think of the other wagons that developed while you were gone (ehunt, dsell, yuma and shraeye?)

ftl hasn't been particularly scummy. but i am having difficulty doing these RVS reads just because we don't have as much to work off of. Regarding the other wagons...The Dsell wagon is dead and i don't know what to think about it, to be honest...i was kind of overwhelmed at that point in the game. Yuma doesn't read as scummy to me, but rather a victim of unnecessary and misunderstood attack...I agree his posts have read as pro-town generally. No comment on shraeye yet, there's a lot to take in on that front. But i dont like how eHunt was originally once a day, then changed that once he realized that'd look scummy. so for now I change to Vote: eHunt

But more generally, there seems to be so much bullshit bullshitting involved in Day 1 (as opposed to legit bullshitting later on); it feels like people can claim "scumslip" or see a pattern in anything when it's likely just random. But isn't that RVS?

ibgtennis, what's the distinction you are drawing between "bullshit bullshitting" and "legit bullshitting?"  I think I know what you're trying to say, but would rather you clarify directly.

"bullshit bullshitting" is people just bullshitting during RVS because there isn't much to do and there aren't legitimate reads to be made (even if we think their are reads, we probably are more confident in our judgements than is warranted...dunning-kreuger anybody?)

"legit bullshitting" is all the wonderful strategy and metagaming that comes with the game as we progress. looking forward to it because there will be more substance to work with.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile

But more importantly question number 3.  I dont want to get cayvie to give anymore information. But what I do want is for Cayvie to explain why she felt it necessary to convey how important it was that she not accidentally be caught on a town lynch and then subsequently throw around her vote haphazardly while following it with an immediate withdrawl for no reason.  It was suspicious as hell and I want answers.

I want to clarify this question as I formulated my sentence poorly.  I started out by saying I didn't want Cayvie to give more information (the whole Yuma debate) but I should have wrote my sentence in the opposite order.  I meant to say:

Why does Cayvie throw around her vote haphazardly while following it with an immediate withdrawl for no reason, given that she had just felt it extremely necessary to convey how important it was that she not accidentally be caught on a town lynch.  This to me is a contradiction.  I dont know why she says it is so important she doesn't do something, then immediately do it (if that is actually the mistake).

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile

Ugh, if there is a cult, there better be some catch to it.  Standard cults almost always win.  Not to rolefish, but is there anything you can safely reveal about your mod-confirmed info?  If there is actually a cult, I think it actually takes priority over mafia hunting.  If a cult isn't snuffed out quickly, it becomes unstoppable.

But are you certain it's a faction?  Maybe it's just a Neighborhood.  Or Masons (though perhaps they would be considered Town faction anyway).

@Cult Leader, please recruit me so I can win with you.
It's a faction. I was told I have a passive ability that gets activated if I'm recruited. (So cult leader pick me pick me pick me! I have an ability!)

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile

Cuzz: why do you think compiling a list like the one I made is town?  What did you think of the list itself? Do you think it had accurate reads?

First off, I should mention that my unvote of you was a quick phone post and I gave your list as a reason to briefly justify the unvote. I had always planned on elaborating when I had a chance later. Now, basically I feel like taking the time to compile posting and voting habits, recaps of recent interactions, wagon analyses and the like helps town for the most part, so I get a town vibe from you for having done that. Of course there are some caveats, which I appreciate the ehes (unt and alcyon) pointing out.

One, of course, is that it's only helpful if it's accurate, but I found this to be the case with your list as far as I could tell. The second is that it seems like a townie thing to do, so scum wins points by doing so. That being said, I think it's typically town who does things like this.

I'm certainly not saying you're obvtown for doing so, but I appreciated the compiled info, and I was probably gonna unvote you anyway since your defense against the wagon seemed genuine enough.

While I'm posting things, an unrelated comment for Eevee (emphasis added):

Uh, shouldn't ever sleep, so much to read.

People striking to me as scummy:

-Morgrim (!!) - I know this is starting to get old but seriously, it's not like he is guaranteed to draw town always. In fact, despite what Robz claims, I could very easily see him making Morg mafia just to see it happen. I'm very surprised to see no one suspect him, and it actually makes him even scummier in my mind. If people want quotes on this, I'll look up the incident with shraeye's sarcasm, that's the most damning evidence I think (yes I've been lazy with notes, should seriously stop reading these on mobile devices >_>).

I'd really try to avoid such trains of thought. This is not a bastard game, and Robz has said his playstyle considerations did not affect alignment. We should take him at his word. To do otherwise will lead to madness.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile

Unvote . Ibg's doing something now. 

Still warning all y'all lurkers, active lurkers, and acti-lurkers out there - sometime during the second week of this D1, I *will* try to start a wagon on someone who has stayed out of sight. Not promising that it'll be the person with the lowest post count, but definitely someone with low content. I'm so tempted to join Galz in being petulant and hiding until that point... but I don't want to spend all my time fighting against the meta instead of playing the game I'm in.

Shraeye, did you mean to vote Watno in your post http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4412.msg108623#msg108623 ?  Because you voted O and then posted a case against Watno, unless I'm misreading you. So I'm confused, was that post supposed to justify your O vote somehow, or is your O case that you spend two lines on still stronger than your Watno case?

Eevee, response to a post a bit back that cuzz just quoted: Yes, the Morgrim thing is getting old, but Robz did say that us guessing at Morg's role is something he would look forward to. I tend to think that means that the relationship between morg's role and meta is not obvious and trying to go down that road would lead to huge WIFOM and no conclusions. I have gotten the usual morgrim town reads off morgrim this game; if you want a case on morgrim, you'll have to make it and make it solid. The one time Morgrim was scum - in a super-bastardy game - he ended up outing himself, so I'm not too worried about scum morg pulling a fast one on us. What has he done so far that reads "SCUM MORG"?

I like Munch's case on cayvie. Cayvie was also the one common point between two of the early wagons.  She's been on like every wagon so far! Vote: Cayvie .

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if people missed it, but I believe my first post after the game started was stating that the role I received doesn't really fit my meta, imo.  Therefore, I put no stock at all in guessing by meta.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

I like Munch's case on cayvie. Cayvie was also the one common point between two of the early wagons.  She's been on like every wagon so far! Vote: Cayvie .

Dude, I started the yuma and shraeye wagons!
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

I want to clarify this question as I formulated my sentence poorly.  I started out by saying I didn't want Cayvie to give more information (the whole Yuma debate) but I should have wrote my sentence in the opposite order.  I meant to say:

Why does Cayvie throw around her vote haphazardly while following it with an immediate withdrawl for no reason, given that she had just felt it extremely necessary to convey how important it was that she not accidentally be caught on a town lynch.  This to me is a contradiction.  I dont know why she says it is so important she doesn't do something, then immediately do it (if that is actually the mistake).

Did I just lynch a townie? Whoopsie!

(the joke is that I didn't)

I voted O for being unhelpful. Then, immediately after I posted, before he posted, I got a pretty strong town read on him. I was kinda looking for any excuse to remove my vote from him.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

I always get a town vibe from cayvie, and it's usually correct.  The one time I got a bad vibe from her, she was scum*.  I'm still neutral on cayvie (weirdness is weird) but in that position I prefer to let her be.  I like having cayvie around because she is usually the hillariousest**.  Not to mention, I believe she was quite liberal with her vote in the first game I played with her (MVI I think) and she was town there.

* RMM2, cayvie was cult leader with a NK.  I got a bad vibe and there were reasons to be suspicious, but I didn't press hard enough and she managed to lie her way out of it (with some help from Galz, I think).  That game was nuts.

** take that, shraeye!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 164  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 17 queries.