Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Official Version Launching 8/16?  (Read 98313 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
Re: Official Version Launching 8/16?
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2012, 04:44:54 pm »
+2

Assuming additionally we are both equally skilled with colony plat, if you blow with colony/plat it won't help you at all ;) But I get that. And what I meant is if you have both sets you are more likely to see the pin then if you have more sets or don't have the requisite sets and you could get super good at playing that pin.

A good solution here is to make the hoster the person whom has more sets or in the case of a tie random

Or just make the expansions reasonably affordable, and require ownership of all sets for inclusion in the hardcore leaderboard.
Adds an incentive for purchase, and I doubt many serious players won't want to own all the sets after all.

Barsooma, are you being reasonable?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2012, 04:48:15 pm »

People have shown significant skills playing, for example, with a much-higher-than-average percentage of platinum/colony boards.
Yes, I conceded that one.

Oh I see. So by not buying Seaside you increase the number of Platinum/Colony boards.
I would probably also do my best to not own the governor card.  I don't know for sure that its "lower skill" - but I do know that I suck with it - and the reduction of 2 turns off the game in average i think heightens 1p advantage.

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2012, 04:48:41 pm »

Assuming additionally we are both equally skilled with colony plat, if you blow with colony/plat it won't help you at all ;) But I get that. And what I meant is if you have both sets you are more likely to see the pin then if you have more sets or don't have the requisite sets and you could get super good at playing that pin.

A good solution here is to make the hoster the person whom has more sets or in the case of a tie random

Or just make the expansions reasonably affordable, and require ownership of all sets for inclusion in the hardcore leaderboard.
Adds an incentive for purchase, and I doubt many serious players won't want to own all the sets after all.

Barsooma, are you being reasonable?

who ees thees Bharr-suma?
This user is banned.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2012, 04:57:42 pm »

Heh. I personally wouldn't bother trying to game the rating system by buying or not buying sets or cards...

I would expect that if you do something reasonable, then the good players will float to the top anyway.

Hey! Maybe you can do something crazy like weighting the rankings by card? To guarantee that Colony games count for (exactly the expected percentage of your rating), and so on. That would mean you wouldn't HAVE to buy all the sets to be highly rated, but you probably would have a very uncertain rating with a lot of the cards if you've only played with them like once or something.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2012, 05:01:58 pm »

Heh. I personally wouldn't bother trying to game the rating system by buying or not buying sets or cards...

I would expect that if you do something reasonable, then the good players will float to the top anyway.

Hey! Maybe you can do something crazy like weighting the rankings by card? To guarantee that Colony games count for (exactly the expected percentage of your rating), and so on. That would mean you wouldn't HAVE to buy all the sets to be highly rated, but you probably would have a very uncertain rating with a lot of the cards if you've only played with them like once or something.

It's not a question of floating near the top, but being #1.  I wouldn't actually do it - but you know that someone will.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2012, 05:37:15 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:10:42 am by () | (_) ^/ »

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2012, 05:53:31 pm »

It's not a question of floating near the top, but being #1.  I wouldn't actually do it - but you know that someone will.

But I don't think it's that big of an advantage.

Like, in automatch, fully half your matches will be with the other people's cards, so that's half the advantage gone. And you don't even pick your own card sets - and Base will always be an option. So the most you could do is bias to Base+1 other set, so you'll get a lot of boring Base games, where you get no advantage because everyone knows how to play Base. I mean, maybe it's a little bit of an advantage because you might beat some better players sometimes in a BM+witch game, but that bites both ways - if you ever get a good ranking playing this way, you'll lose a lot of games you shouldn't.

I just don't see it as a major problem, and I don't see how you could use this to get to #1. Not any more effective than just, like, biasing Prosperity or something.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2012, 06:17:34 pm »
+1

Oh I see. So by not buying Seaside you increase the number of Platinum/Colony boards.

Wouldn't it be good if you could use whatever subset of the sets you have? Then no missed buy because someone is afraid to buy a set they don't want to play with most of the time. Just like in real life you don't have to bring out all your sets to a gaming night just because you own them.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2012, 06:20:02 pm »
+2

Wouldn't it be good if you could use whatever subset of the sets you have? Then no missed buy because someone is afraid to buy a set they don't want to play with most of the time. Just like in real life you don't have to bring out all your sets to a gaming night just because you own them.

I had a gaming night tonight and Alchemy stayed firmly on the shelf!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:11:00 am by () | (_) ^/ »

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2012, 11:13:01 am »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:11:11 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2012, 11:15:26 am »

:-X

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2012, 11:35:03 am »

So, have they given some sort of timeframe for when it goes online? The day is already over in Japan and 2/3 of Australia, and it's kind of evening in Europe. :>
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2012, 11:36:32 am »

So, have they given some sort of timeframe for when it goes online? The day is already over in Japan and 2/3 of Australia, and it's kind of evening in Europe. :>

Nope - twitter announced the launch - and then quickly announced that they were having technical problems.  I suspect the safe thing to do is just wait until tomorrow and enjoy playing iso.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2012, 11:39:03 am »
+1

I certainly will do, but I want to have the lowest ID possible by registering as early as possible. (Unless they didn't wipe their account database, because then I will have lost the game already. :>)

Besides that I simply want to try it, because after all I never got a beta invite.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2012, 02:57:44 pm »
+13

From the Goko Twitter page:

"No ETA yet, but scout's honor that we'll send an update as soon as we get one. "

The irony of this statement is surely lost on whoever types the tweets.  Nothing like swearing on the honor of the worst Dominion card that you'll have your Dominion server up soon!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2012, 02:59:14 pm »

Did anyone else get the log in page with the username password request and try Admin/Admin?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2012, 03:03:07 pm »

"No ETA yet, but scout's honor that we'll send an update as soon as we get one. "

The irony of this statement is surely lost on whoever types the tweets.  Nothing like swearing on the honor of the worst Dominion card that you'll have your Dominion server up soon!

Link to twitter page please?

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2012, 03:03:15 pm »

Did anyone else get the log in page with the username password request and try Admin/Admin?
What link are you using?

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2012, 03:03:45 pm »

Link to twitter page please?
https://twitter.com/gokogames

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2012, 03:04:17 pm »

Strangely, the beta is still up. It's not linked from dominion.goko.com anymore, but you can still get to it directly.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2012, 03:08:40 pm »

Strangely, the beta is still up. It's not linked from dominion.goko.com anymore, but you can still get to it directly.

Yup. I just logged onto the beta. It is so weird to see beta up and not the real launch. I want to play with DA cards!

syzygy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2012, 03:09:31 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if they left the beta site up for a while for testing out cards they haven't implemented yet.

Scott Pilgrim

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »
+1

(Unless they didn't wipe their account database, because then I will have lost the game already. :>)

Thanks... now I just lost The Game.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12  All

Page created in 1.823 seconds with 21 queries.