Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 64  All

Author Topic: Mafia IX: Major Arcana Mafia (CONGRATULATIONS VOLTGLOSS, aka DEATH)  (Read 166029 times)

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IX: Major Arcana Mafia
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2012, 12:34:25 am »

To angrybirds, shraeye, other new folks - in MVI when I was brand new I found the constant references to old mafia games annoying and not helpful,  but you do actually learn a lot from them if you sit down and read through them. They are pretty hard to skim, though, and long.

Indeed they are. It took me a couple hours to read the first mafia game, and that wasn't a 4000 page behemoth.

shraeye, here's my reasoning. I initially found Volt's query unnecessarily complex. Once you suit claim, there's automatically a possibility you're Major Arcana, which means who-knows-what to all who aren't as such. I then reasoned, why not claim to just be Major Arcana (a bit of talking out loud), but then if you do you claim to be an unknown super-power role, which means people will be watching you much more closely. So, not smart. With Volt's method, if you claim, say, Pentacles, you have a 87.5% chance of actually being Pentacles, if you're telling the truth and there's two Major Arcanas. Arcani. Whatever the plural is.

Heh, not playing mafia in a couple of years is quite challenging, I will admit.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2012, 12:37:32 am »

I would suggest that anybody really serious about learning stuff should read either MII or MIV. Those were very, very good games where the wins were well-deserved. MV and MVI, on the other hand, resolved themselves based on almost entirely random night targeting.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2012, 12:39:25 am »

Don't look at MV and MVI because I played poorly in both games.

FTFY

Well, mainly MVI, but still.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2012, 12:42:58 am »

So just over 1/4 of the deck consists of scum roles. With 16 players then, is 4 scum too much? Too little? I can't imagine 5 scum in 16 players, but if it's 4 and we know that there is an SK, then the odds of two scum factions (both WW and Mafia) should go down, correct? Or else 1 faction only has 1 member.

So how do you think the breakdown went?

SK
?

SK
?

Or do you see there being 5 scum, with teams being

SK
?

Thoughts?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:38 am »

So just over 1/4 of the deck consists of scum roles. With 16 players then, is 4 scum too much? Too little? I can't imagine 5 scum in 16 players, but if it's 4 and we know that there is an SK, then the odds of two scum factions (both WW and Mafia) should go down, correct? Or else 1 faction only has 1 member.

So how do you think the breakdown went?

SK
?

SK
?

Or do you see there being 5 scum, with teams being

SK
?

Thoughts?

Splitting scumteams makes more scum more balanced. MVI had 6/18 (not incl. survivor) scum and probably favors town even with noncrap scum play.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2012, 01:28:11 am »

I recommend that people "serious" about learning stuff jump right in, play games, and don't worry about rereading old games unless that's your idea of fun. Seriously, it's not important enough to be worth reading the sort of volume of posts that go into these games. Also, feel free to be aggressive and accuse people and ruffle people's feathers, and shrug it off when people do the same to you.

I'm not sure that I even buy

I would suggest that anybody really serious about learning stuff should read either MII or MIV. Those were very, very good games where the wins were well-deserved. MV and MVI, on the other hand, resolved themselves based on almost entirely random night targeting.

So far all f.ds games have been basically won or lost via night targeting and investigations. Not necessarily random, but still, it's all about the power roles. VTs play a supporting role.  In MII, the part where mafia hit a cop N1 was pretty critical, don't you think?

OK, back to gamechat about arcacna.

If 1/4 of the deck consists of scum roles, we're probably in pretty good shape. 2 WW, 2 Mafia... not so bad. It depends on the luck of the draw - if we get  a Mafia Godfather and a cop clears him early, we're sort of screwed, but you can't really plan for that and whatever. Also depends on whatever the heck the Major Arcana are. I look forward to one of them dying just so that we can know what sort of things they have!

We'll see after N1 what the breakdown is. I would expect 2-3 deaths N1, with the potential for more or less. 3 probably means we have SK or vig, 2 probably means no SK, 4 means SK AND Vig of some sort. 1 death probably means no sk, no vig, and a lucky doctor/roleblocker. I think the probabilities work out so at least 1 ww and at least 1 mafia are pretty likely?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2012, 01:30:28 am »

Mod confirmed SK. ;D

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2012, 01:31:16 am »

The wind suddenly picks up and rushes around your ears. You can distinctly make out the sound of ghostly voices. They say, "There is at least one serial killer in this game." Then they say, "BOO!"

Mafia Record:

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2012, 01:46:14 am »

oh right

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49:27 am »

Volt, are you a Werewolf?
No.

Voltgloss, these are real questions for you.  What do you think would be gained by suitclaiming?  Why did you forget about the Major Arcana in your first query?
As someone else (Axxle?) suggested, the benefit I was mulling was forcing scum to drop some information now under circumstances where lying (1) has no immediate discernible benefit and (2) may complicate things for them later - i.e., catch them IN a lie - if they try to fakeclaim a role outside their suit bounds.  I was specifically comparing this to Mystery Mafia in my head.  But it wasn't at all clear to me though whether, in THIS setup (as opposed to Mystery Mafia), such benefit outweighed the potential detriment(s).   

That I was thinking about this vis-a-vis Mystery Mafia is why I didn't think about the Major Arcana when first raising the question.  My initial thought process was simply:  "we have suits -> different types of roles are restricted to certain suits -> like Mystery Mafia where different cardnames are linked to different sets -> do we want to claim suits like we claimed sets?"  No analog to Major Arcana in Mystery Mafia, so they didn't enter my head until ftl specifically mentioned them in responding to me (and reposted the full setup list plus Major Arcana).  [I've been thinking about Mystery Mafia rather a lot more than this game, so far]

The intent of the question was not to suggest we should try to trap/reveal Major Arcana early.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2012, 02:38:26 am »

... we should try to trap/reveal Major Arcana early.
Gasp!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2012, 02:46:52 am »

asp!

Vote: Axxle because he's a snake.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2012, 06:14:15 am »

e's a snake.

'E is?  Get 'im!

Vote: eHunt

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2012, 07:12:22 am »

Well, 16 players in a non-BM game! Not bad... Hope you're up for the work Cayvie. You've got a 4000 post behemoth coming your way!

Frisk, I need to know up front, are you scum?

Sorry galz, I am not scum.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2012, 07:18:16 am »

I am quite town too. Galzria looks towny to me, so does Volt. Apparently the active always do though.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2012, 07:30:20 am »

I'm going to confuse sparky and shraeye for the foreseeable future. How can I differentiate them? What's your playstyle? Angrybirds I can remember because he's twinclaimed by yuma.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2012, 07:35:20 am »

As far as I'm concerned, the value of the old mafia games is less "seeing good mafia games" and more "learning people's behavior patterns." The primary example so far is Morgrim, whose play is very eccentric. It's easy to mistake the eccentricity for scumminess. Galzria tends to be verbose.

It's sort of boring to dig in, though.

angrybirds

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2012, 08:48:57 am »

i am going to vote:Galzeria because he is playing just like a person who wants us to think he is town

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2012, 09:52:21 am »

I would like to say that I plan on doing upping my game.  After poor showings in BMMMMM1 and RMM1 and my recent death in BMIV, I'm done with that style of mafia.  The new and improved shark_bait is here.  And yes ehunt, I am already starting to get quite aware of some players' idiosyncrasies.  Hopefully that will help me in this game.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2012, 10:20:47 am »

Hey shark you changing your play style to cover for the fax your scum this game?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2012, 10:39:18 am »

Hey shark you changing your play style to cover for the fax your scum this game?
vote sharky

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2012, 11:36:07 am »

I would like to say that I plan on doing upping my game.  After poor showings in BMMMMM1 and RMM1 and my recent death in BMIV, I'm done with that style of mafia.  The new and improved shark_bait is here.  And yes ehunt, I am already starting to get quite aware of some players' idiosyncrasies.  Hopefully that will help me in this game.

Sharky, what do you perceive to be the defects in your previous strategy? What do you plan to change?

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2012, 11:40:00 am »

(careful not to talk about ongoing games)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2012, 11:44:49 am »

Oh, yeah. Don't mention MVII.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2012, 11:48:22 am »

Oh, yeah. Don't mention MVII.

I think all of the games sharky has played in are still ongoing, yes? 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 64  All

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 20 queries.