Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Luck in Dominion strikes again  (Read 1267 times)

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Luck in Dominion strikes again
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:54:19 pm »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120807-113822-a062d29e.html
Important card(s): Wharf
We opened differently, he Monument/Silver, me Cutpurse/Silver, in hope to stop him from getting Wharves. But it didn't really make so much difference.

Short summary from the game:
  • I never hit $5.
  • I got 4/4 on turns 3/4, I bought my first Wharf the same turn he played it.
  • All my three terminals collided on turn 9. If I'd played one of the Wharves, all my actions would've missed the reshuffle.
  • I played my first Wharf on turn 12 (!), when he already had two provinces. It was already over by then. I played 3 Wharves in total.
Result: He wins the province split 6-2.

Apart from maybe buy a Gold instead of Wharf on turns 5/6, I don't know how I could've played much better.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
Re: Luck in Dominion strikes again
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 05:00:28 pm »

I find I've been ragequitting such games more often than I used to.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:00:56 pm »

Oh man, I remember this, and you're right that there was definitely opening luck. Didn't realize you hit 4/4 on turns 3 and 4.

The only thing I noticed was on that turn you mentioned with the Cutpurse and double Wharf it seems like one of the Wharves would have been better. If the 4 you got only yielded you a Pawn at least it would guarantee you 2 more cards next turn and you could've still bought the Pawn that turn with the two coppers. At that point I already had two wharves and a couple gold so it seems like the loss of a copper would hurt me less than earlier in the game. But I dunno, it could've just as easily prevented me from a good purchase if I didn't get some sweet draws.

The more I play this game the more I learn to savor a victory like this since I'm more often on the other side...and I'm terrible at analyzing these...

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:01:35 am »

Oh man, I remember this, and you're right that there was definitely opening luck. Didn't realize you hit 4/4 on turns 3 and 4.

The only thing I noticed was on that turn you mentioned with the Cutpurse and double Wharf it seems like one of the Wharves would have been better. If the 4 you got only yielded you a Pawn at least it would guarantee you 2 more cards next turn and you could've still bought the Pawn that turn with the two coppers. At that point I already had two wharves and a couple gold so it seems like the loss of a copper would hurt me less than earlier in the game. But I dunno, it could've just as easily prevented me from a good purchase if I didn't get some sweet draws.

The more I play this game the more I learn to savor a victory like this since I'm more often on the other side...and I'm terrible at analyzing these...
...If I'd played one of the Wharves, all my actions would've missed the reshuffle.
That's a pretty bad drawback. I wouldn't see the Wharves again in some rounds, most likely turn 13, 14. You had a pretty good start, so it was pretty much over by then anyway.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.