Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stash rewrite  (Read 3502 times)

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
Stash rewrite
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:21 am »

I've always felt that the theme behind stash is really fun but the implementation doesn't work at all. Stash should be "silver on demand" not "silver when you psychically know while reshuffling you're going to want it".

Given that Stash has a unique back, would there be anything rules-problematic with this card?

Stash
$5
Treasure

$2
When you would draw a card, if this is in your deck, you may draw this instead.

The isotropic implementation might be annoying - have 3 stashes in your deck, play an embassy, click "no" 15 times. I'm wondering if some rule might be used to make only the topmost stash trigger the effect (I can think of no way this would be a disadvantage to the player)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:47:55 am by Kahryl »

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +943
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Stash rewrite
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:57:29 am »
+1

I'm thinking that even in a real life game (where I admit it would be easier) you'd have AP going on 5 times per clean-up phase and potentially more elsewhere during your turn.  I do like the conceptual buff to Stash there; I just see it slowing the game down too much in practice.

I kind of agree with you, though, that the power and combo potential of Stash is better in theory than it is in practice.  One of the reasons Chancellor/Stash works so well is that that's one of the few combos that actually does make it crystal clear where those Stashes truly belong.  I hope future expansions will offer other Stash combos, because it's definitely a fun mechanic.

Edit:  I wonder if it's possible to get a similar effect with narrower trigger points.  Maybe something like "In games using this card, at the start of your turn, you put any number of cards from your hand on top of your deck up to the number of Stashes in your deck.  If you do, put the same number of Stashes from your deck into your hand."  That's a bit stronger, and there are a couple of loopholes in that specific wording.  But you get the idea -- limit the window of availability when the special behavior can take place.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:01:18 am by rinkworks »

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:46 am »

Having an invisible trigger condition begs for problems to come up. As the game goes on and players buy multiple Stashes, your rewrite requires them to keep track of how many are in their deck at all times. This becomes too much of a chore with trash cards, Masquerade, and just buying multiples. Say I've purchased a Stash and trashed it long ago. I could easily believe I have one left in my deck, believe the trigger is occurring, search my deck, and find nothing. Did I make a gameplay mistake, or was I getting advanced information about the remaining contents of my deck?

Invisible triggers are dangerous like this. No one wants to be accused of cheating for these little mistakes, and no one wants to feel like someone else is cheating because of a loophole. And then you have the people who will cheat because of this. It's not worth it when an interesting alternative is available.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:53:09 am »

Having an invisible trigger condition begs for problems to come up. As the game goes on and players buy multiple Stashes, your rewrite requires them to keep track of how many are in their deck at all times. . . .

You're 100% right, and that's some of what I was alluding to when I said there are problems with that wording.  (The other issue was that it's ambiguous whether "deck" just means "draw pile" or "deck + discard.")  The point was more to illustrate a possible way to limit the scope of when the special behavior can happen.  I agree that it's a terrible actual wording.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:53:13 am »
+1

Doesn't Stash have a different back, thus meaning you would never have to search for it?  You either have a card with the Stash back, or you don't.  There's no need to look at the front of any card in your deck and your opponent can easily verify whether or not you have a Stash in your deck.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 12:03:41 pm »
+2

You could put bought stash cards on the stash mat instead of shuffling them into your deck?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:12:57 pm »

You could put bought stash cards on the stash mat instead of shuffling them into your deck?
Yes, if you can draw them whenever, they never need to actually be in your deck.

Kahryl

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 04:01:31 pm »
+1

Having a stash "mat" was my first thought, but I figured it would be a rules nightmare. Looks like it will be anyway, though. I like rinkworks' "trigger-limiting" idea, too. How about combining them..

EDIT: Implemented rinkworks' suggestion below

Stash
$5
Treasure

$2
When you would reshuffle, if this is in your discard pile, put this on your stash mat.
At the start of your turn, you may put any number of stashes from your stash mat into your hand. Put that many cards from your hand on top of your deck.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:47:14 pm by Kahryl »

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 04:41:38 pm »
+1

Having a stash "mat" was my first thought, but I figured it would be a rules nightmare. Looks like it will be anyway, though. I like rinkworks' "trigger-limiting" idea, too. How about combining them..

Stash
$5
Treasure

$2
When you would reshuffle, if this is in your discard pile, put this on your stash mat.
At the start of your turn, you may put any number of stashes from your stash mat into your hand. Discard that many cards.

That probably works, except that I would top-deck instead of discard, or then the effect doesn't simulate positioning Stashes within your deck as you go but rather replacing bad cards in your deck with Stashes as you go.  Lots stronger!

But I suppose the whole point of this exercise is to make a stronger version of Stash, so maybe that's okay.

Kahryl

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 04:46:26 pm »

No I think you're right. The theme IMO of stash is "silver + haven" not "silver + haven + cellar"

Plus I think stash already becomes very strong just with a topdeck. I imagine with a handful of stashes you could hit perfect $6s and $8s every turn.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:50:09 pm by Kahryl »

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 05:06:59 pm »

No I think you're right. The theme IMO of stash is "silver + haven" not "silver + haven + cellar"

Plus I think stash already becomes very strong just with a topdeck. I imagine with a handful of stashes you could hit perfect $6s and $8s every turn.
Yeah, I think Kahryl is right.  Stash whenever might be too strong, maybe someone can playtest that?

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:22:18 pm »

I like Stash how it is, but if you wanted to just turn the stashes so that they are horizontal instead of vertical in your deck and store them at the bottom of your draw pile until called up.

If the Stash isn't called up before this, then it just gets drawn like normal cards at the bottom. I only see this being a problem with Pearl Diver, do you check the cards above the Stashes with it or the Stash?

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 20 queries.