Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Underestimating Great Halls?  (Read 6842 times)

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Underestimating Great Halls?
« on: July 24, 2012, 05:09:17 pm »

Log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/24/game-20120724-140033-bec47b92.html

cards in supply: Chapel, Courtyard, Feast, Great Hall, Ironworks, Laboratory, Militia, Navigator, Scout, and Upgrade
----------------------
#1 Ptolemy I: 50 points (5 Provinces, 4 Duchies, and 8 Great Halls); 21 turns
           opening: Chapel / Ironworks
           [28 cards] 8 Great Halls, 5 Laboratories, 1 Militia, 1 Upgrade, 2 Silvers, 2 Golds, 4 Duchies, 5 Provinces

#2 thirtyseven: 31 points (3 Provinces, 4 Duchies, and an Estate); 20 turns
             opening: Militia / Chapel
             [19 cards] 1 Chapel, 1 Laboratory, 1 Militia, 1 Copper, 5 Silvers, 2 Golds, 1 Estate, 4 Duchies, 3 Provinces
----------------------
trash: 2 Militias, 6 Estates, 2 Silvers, a Chapel, 13 Coppers, and an Ironworks

My strategy was open Militia/Chapel, get Labs on 5, Gold on 6... a straightforward strategy for a straightforward board. My opponent piledrives Great Halls and also picks up 5 Labs to my 1, since they were low priority for me. I admit I did overlook IW/GH... I'm just wondering if I underestimated Great Halls and Labs, if IW/GH is the way to go here, and how his strategy was more effective than mine.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Underestimating Great Halls?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:33:07 pm »

Your strategy could be mostly described as Big Money+Chapel+Militia.

This that seems sort of mediocre. Chapel does not really help out Big Money all that well. Your strategy was pretty slow - you got 3 provinces and 4 duchies in 20 turns, that's quite slow considering your opponent didn't even get a Militia until turn 12. 

Your opponent built a laboratory engine that would use IW to pick up great halls along the way; it was faster, picked up some alt VP, and used labs to keep large handsizes even after militas. I think you underestimated chapel/lab, and IW for picking up a few extra silvers and of course great halls.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 05:34:55 pm »
+1

It makes me sad to see scout all alone in the supply.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:38:04 pm »

Yeah, the Ironworks is kind of a big deal here.  He's got no terminal draw cards, so every Ironworks is a free VP, and the Great Halls themselves will never clog anything up.  Notice he never actually BOUGHT any Great Halls (I may have missed one), just IWed them and turned his no-longer-useful Chapel into one via Upgrade (which is itself a "free" card).  That Ironworks play also accelerates deck cycling (as do the Great Halls), so he's able to get his stuff into play very quickly.  His deck isn't really any bigger than yours once you take the 9 cantrips into account - and he can draw most of it with the 5 labs.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:52:50 pm »

hmm, militia is such a good response to great hall though, and chapel means OP can play the militia over and over. I'm a little surprised. Let me look at the logs.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 05:55:03 pm »

I think the real hero here is upgrade.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 05:58:10 pm »

Thanks for the input so far. I guess it was one of those games where I unwittingly fell into Chapel BM+X, and as usual I underestimate deck-cycling cards. I'm also in a phase where I tend to avoid IW, since I've been trapped buying too many of those in a couple of games.

(reading ehunt's replies mid-post...)
Ehunt, that's what I was thinking... would double Militia BM (no Chapel) beat out my opponent's strategy? Would I take Lab over Silver on $5 or no? Hmm, Upgrade you say? Why?
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 06:14:50 pm »

Thanks for the input so far. I guess it was one of those games where I unwittingly fell into Chapel BM+X, and as usual I underestimate deck-cycling cards. I'm also in a phase where I tend to avoid IW, since I've been trapped buying too many of those in a couple of games.

(reading ehunt's replies mid-post...)
Ehunt, that's what I was thinking... would double Militia BM (no Chapel) beat out my opponent's strategy? Would I take Lab over Silver on $5 or no? Hmm, Upgrade you say? Why?

Hard to say about double Militia.  It's stronger against GH because, if you have GH in hand, it's hard to decide whether or not to discard them because you don't know what they will draw.  However, thanks to Chapel and Upgrade, his deck is pretty trim.  With just a bit of deck tracking he probably knows whether keeping GH is worth it.

Definitely take Lab over Silver.

Upgrade is generally better in the early game for transforming Estate-->Silver (or Engine piece).  I think it mattered less in this game because of chapel.  Ptolemy doesn't pick one up until turn 11, but he manages to play it 6 times for decent effect:

Silver->Militia
Chapel->Great Hall
Militia->Lab
Ironworks->Duchy
Silver->Militia
Militia->Lab

In particular, he gets his chapel and Ironworks out of the way after they are no longer useful.  I don't know about calling it the Hero of the game, but it did do some good work.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:07:15 pm »

Chapel with militia is fine. If you had constructed your deck a little more with labs, gold, or an upgrade before buying the first province then you'd probably have been ok. I also suspect that buying a lab for 2 silver and copper would have been better than trashing the copper and buying a silver.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 08:11:34 pm »
+2

You didn't draw your Chapel on Turn 3 or 4, and then on Turn 5 it collided with Militia. So that's not a great start.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 08:13:49 pm »

You didn't draw your Chapel on Turn 3 or 4, and then on Turn 5 it collided with Militia. So that's not a great start.

oh man i missed that when i reviewed. missing chapel on first shuffle when opponent doesn't is gg.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 09:45:28 pm »

Is Ironworks-Great Hall something actually worth going for? It has never been a winning combo in my experience. Something about the opportunity cost of getting the Ironworks and then just using it to gain Great Halls instead of more powerful cards...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 09:57:17 pm »

No, it's not, not usually at least. In this case, note that the margin of victory was larger than the 8 points from great halls anyway.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 01:54:38 am »

I think as someone on this thing said once, you're sacrificing an early turn in the game for eight points. It's usually a losing proposition. On the other hand, if there's something you really want to ironworks (caravans, say) it's another story.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 01:56:45 am »

I think as someone on this thing said once, you're sacrificing an early turn in the game for eight points. It's usually a losing proposition. On the other hand, if there's something you really want to ironworks (caravans, say) it's another story.

I'm not sure it's usually a losing proposition, but yeah, it's not the strongest thing in the world. Especially against discard attacks in this sort of game, I would think.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 03:36:42 am »

But there really was on this board as shark_bait pointed out already. Getting all Great Halls and picking up with IW 1 or 2 Scouts on the way is great. Plus you can move your labs on top.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 03:43:39 am »

I'm not sure it's usually a losing proposition, but yeah, it's not the strongest thing in the world. Especially against discard attacks in this sort of game, I would think.
8Pts/one turn is actually quite nice.. especially in Province games

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 09:31:09 am »

8Pts/one turn is actually quite nice.. especially in Province games
I am the agreeing.  When Great Hall is around, I will definitely give good thought to ironworks.  I also like that scout is around.  If I manage to get all the great halls, then scout feels to me like it can be a cheap lab. (of course sometimes it doesn't hit any GH, but at least you can remove other green&coppers)

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 09:51:21 am »

I think the militia is going to beat ironworks + scout + great hall if OP gets to chapel on turns 3 or 4.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 09:51:45 am »

I do agree with O's point though. Sometimes 8 points for 1 early turn of tempo is worth it, I just don't think this is one of them.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 09:54:55 am »

What about without Militia on the board?

jider

• Swindler
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 11:13:42 am »

One thing about deck cycling: GH doesn't improve deck cycling, it only keeps it constant while adding VP to your deck.  It merely replaces itself with the next card in your deck, so if you hadn't bought GH, you would have just drawn that next card anyway.  Lab on the other hand, actually improves deck cycling, for obvious reasons.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 11:38:40 am »

Another option here is overdraw the deck each turn so that you can gain a card with the ironworks, draw and upgrade it to a lab, play the militia, buy province. This would be a good lock down if you can manage it, with the ironworks upgraded to a duchy last turn.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 03:41:40 pm »

What about without Militia on the board?
yeah without militia i'd go for it.

sjelkjd

• Salvager
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00:33 pm »

I think you bought too much money.  If you're playing chapel on this board, I'd buy labs until you can draw your whole deck every turn(and hit him with militia every turn).  So turn 7 I would buy lab, turn 8 don't trash the copper and buy lab.
Once you get the lab draw, you can trash at leisure - so no need to choke yourself early on(like turns 8 and 10).
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.