Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Any Gossip About Fall 2011 Expansion?  (Read 86317 times)

Dartwolf

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Any Gossip About Fall 2011 Expansion?
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2011, 10:31:52 pm »

While I like the idea of stalling your opponent somehow with something other than curses, I have a few issues with the card as proposed.  First there's the issue of having a card that costs $1 - I think there should never be such a card, since it would be such a hot seller with cards like remake, upgrade, and bridge relatively early in the game. 

Actually, a $1 card would really weaken Upgrade and Remake. You want your coppers trashed and gone so your deck gets small, not turned into marginally-more-powerful cards that still leave your deck bloated.

Right.  The issue, though, is that with the $1 card as proposed, which you would then immediately drop in your opponent's deck, the upgrade and remake would still work just as well if not better.  Not only would you be killing the coppers, but junk would end up in your opponent's deck on top of it.  Seems too much to me.

In the general case, though, I agree with you about $1 cards hurting upgrades and remakes.

Playing with the concept of a small, poor, sentinel  border estate:

Frontier
Victory - Reaction
1 VP
When your opponent plays an attack card, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do so, set aside this card.  At the beginning of your next turn, for every card set aside this way, +1 Card +$1, and then discard the card set aside.

Wording probably needs work.

I like it.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2011, 11:57:26 pm »

While I like the idea of stalling your opponent somehow with something other than curses, I have a few issues with the card as proposed.  First there's the issue of having a card that costs $1 - I think there should never be such a card, since it would be such a hot seller with cards like remake, upgrade, and bridge relatively early in the game. 

Actually, a $1 card would really weaken Upgrade and Remake. You want your coppers trashed and gone so your deck gets small, not turned into marginally-more-powerful cards that still leave your deck bloated.

Right.  The issue, though, is that with the $1 card as proposed, which you would then immediately drop in your opponent's deck, the upgrade and remake would still work just as well if not better.  Not only would you be killing the coppers, but junk would end up in your opponent's deck on top of it.  Seems too much to me.

In the general case, though, I agree with you about $1 cards hurting upgrades and remakes.

We're getting rather technical for a hypothetical card, but based on the wording of Fool's Gold ("when you buy this"), you - and not your opponent - would gain the Fool's Gold after Upgrading/Remaking a Copper.

Detonator

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2011, 07:59:06 am »

Plus it shouldn't make you choose an opponent in a multiplayer game: no attack has so far, they affect all players the same.

I wonder if it would even work to have an "attack" that triggers when you buy/gain a card.  Since you are not technically playing an attack, I don't think it would trigger reactions at all (unless there are new reactions that trigger specifically when another player buys/gains a card).  I'm not sure if it would be wise to create attacks that ignore every anti-attack card up to this point.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2011, 01:25:11 pm »

I wonder if it would even work to have an "attack" that triggers when you buy/gain a card.  Since you are not technically playing an attack, I don't think it would trigger reactions at all (unless there are new reactions that trigger specifically when another player buys/gains a card).  I'm not sure if it would be wise to create attacks that ignore every anti-attack card up to this point.

I would tend to agree, although it's not as bad as it sounds, since such an attack could only happen a maximum of ten times during the game. If the card isn't spammable, its attack aspect is probably no concern at all.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2011, 02:16:22 pm »

I would tend to agree, although it's not as bad as it sounds, since such an attack could only happen a maximum of ten times during the game. If the card isn't spammable, its attack aspect is probably no concern at all.

Ambassador begs to differ. That is a very edge case though.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2011, 02:55:03 pm »

First there's the issue of having a card that costs $1 - I think there should never be such a card

I don't know about this particular card, but in general I think there are so many Dominion cards by now, so it would be possible with a $1 card. Yes, it would be very atypical, and change a lot, but why not if it's only once in awhile you got a game like that. (Not so very long ago it seemed like there never would be a $7 card!)

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2011, 07:29:20 pm »

First there's the issue of having a card that costs $1 - I think there should never be such a card

I don't know about this particular card, but in general I think there are so many Dominion cards by now, so it would be possible with a $1 card. Yes, it would be very atypical, and change a lot, but why not if it's only once in awhile you got a game like that. (Not so very long ago it seemed like there never would be a $7 card!)

The exact wording on Upgrade and Remake heavily suggests that there is absolutely never going to be a $1 cost card.  If there ever was a card of such cost available, Upgrade and Remake would be severely weakened as it could no longer straight up trash Copper and Curses.  As it is, you have to be careful with when to play Bridge so that you don't make yourself gain some crappy $2 when you upgrade Copper/Curse, but that's very rare.
Stop reading my signature.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2011, 09:58:45 pm »

The exact wording on Upgrade and Remake heavily suggests that there is absolutely never going to be a $1 cost card.  If there ever was a card of such cost available, Upgrade and Remake would be severely weakened as it could no longer straight up trash Copper and Curses.  As it is, you have to be careful with when to play Bridge so that you don't make yourself gain some crappy $2 when you upgrade Copper/Curse, but that's very rare.

I'm not sure what in the wording suggests this.  The word "exactly"?  But that's what emphasizes the difference from Remodel and Expand, which are "up to."  In any case, I don't know why the wording is necessarily specific to $0 cards.

I think I remember Donald saying there wouldn't be a $1 card, so you're probably right.  But I'm also reminded of his remarks about pre-Prosperity observations that it was important, from a gameplay perspective, not to have a $7 card.  He disagreed, saying that if he made a $7 card, the majority of games still wouldn't have a $7 card -- so adding one wouldn't change or "break" anything in the majority of games, but it *would* make a set of games with their own flavor possible.

I would think having one or two $1 cards in the rotation would be very interesting.  Upgrade and Remake remain unchanged for most games, but then in some games their behavior is changed.  That's all in the spirit of Dominion, which is that every game has its own unique set of interactions to puzzle through.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2011, 03:48:33 am »

I would think having one or two $1 cards in the rotation would be very interesting.  Upgrade and Remake remain unchanged for most games, but then in some games their behavior is changed.  That's all in the spirit of Dominion, which is that every game has its own unique set of interactions to puzzle through.

Exactly. That's why I stressed that the reason it could work is that there are so many cards by now so this wouldn't be usual. Speaking of Upgrade/Remake it's also true that usually you can't get Provinces from them, but in some games you can.

But how unusual it would be depends of course on what cards you have. If such a $1 card was in a 25 set expansion and you only had that expansion and Intrigue, then 18% of the games you played with Upgrade the $1 card would be there as well, which might be too often, so my argument "there are so many cards" really doesn't hold water since not everyone has many cards just because there are many cards.

So it could probably be fun, but isn't a good idea anyway.

But... I don't know if anyone has toyed with the idea of an Anti-Peddler; a card with a low printed cost but that usually costs more. The cost increase should not occur only during the buy phase so usually it would have a higher cost even when you're Upgrading etc. The printed cost of such a card could be $1, but probably it would be cleaner/better with $0. Once in a blue moon with clever play you could play in such a way that it costs $1 right when you're Remaking curses. Kudos to you!

david707

• Baron
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2011, 06:19:20 am »

Exactly. That's why I stressed that the reason it could work is that there are so many cards by now so this wouldn't be usual. Speaking of Upgrade/Remake it's also true that usually you can't get Provinces from them, but in some games you can.

But how unusual it would be depends of course on what cards you have. If such a $1 card was in a 25 set expansion and you only had that expansion and Intrigue, then 18% of the games you played with Upgrade the $1 card would be there as well, which might be too often, so my argument "there are so many cards" really doesn't hold water since not everyone has many cards just because there are many cards.

So it could probably be fun, but isn't a good idea anyway.

But... I don't know if anyone has toyed with the idea of an Anti-Peddler; a card with a low printed cost but that usually costs more. The cost increase should not occur only during the buy phase so usually it would have a higher cost even when you're Upgrading etc. The printed cost of such a card could be $1, but probably it would be cleaner/better with $0. Once in a blue moon with clever play you could play in such a way that it costs $1 right when you're Remaking curses. Kudos to you!

Antipeddler
Action $0*
+1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Coin
This card cost $1 more per card you have in play.

Edit: Okay, that's going to be too good for workshop/ironworks etc

Antipeddler V2
Action $0*
+1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Coin
This card costs $2 more per card you have in you hand and $1 more per card you have in play.
(Even more crazy than Peddler)

Edit 2: Typo
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:22:30 am by david707 »

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2011, 09:18:23 am »

Antipeddler
Action $0*
+1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Coin

No, I think you're okay.  A vanilla card offering +1 Card, +1 Action,  and +$1 would probably cost around $4 (think of it as a Market without the +Buy, a Bazaar without one of the +Actions, a Treasury you can't reuse from turn to turn, or a Tournament in a game where nobody buys Provinces), which Workshop and Ironworks would be able to snap up anyway.

Interesting idea.  Whereas Peddlers make it easier to buy Peddlers, this is just the opposite:  buy enough Anti-Peddlers, and you'll likely have to purposely withhold them to buy more.

Detonator

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2011, 08:01:53 pm »

Vale
Victory-Reaction $6
2VP
When another player buys a Province, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, then at the start of your next turn, +$4 and return this to your hand.

Though the exact numbers are free to be fiddled with, I like the idea of this card.  Quick thoughts about its impact:
  • Useless in colony games, but it wouldn't be the only card like that, so I think it's okay.
  • Could cause a chain reaction if both players go for them (one player reacts, then buys a province which causes the other player to react, and so on).
  • Stronger AND weaker in games with +buy.  Multiple +$4s could be devastating with +buys, but more buys would also make going for duchies and running out the piles much more viable against a player who buys a lot of these.
  • If someone is holding one of these when they get militia'd/tortured, it could cause some hard feelings.

My goal with the card is to alter the dynamic of the game when it is available, but not so much so that any normal province-buying strategy becomes nonviable.  I'd love to playtest a card like this to see how effective it actually is.

Buggz

• Spy
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2011, 03:35:54 am »

Antipeddler
Action $0*
+1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Coin

Interesting idea.  Whereas Peddlers make it easier to buy Peddlers, this is just the opposite:  buy enough Anti-Peddlers, and you'll likely have to purposely withhold them to buy more.
Playing an antipeddler gives you a coin and raises the antipeddler cost by $1, so the net effect is zero. If you've played at least one action card (that doesn't make you richer) you couldn't buy this even with every copper in the game. In the early game any estate is going to make it almost impossible to buy it as you'd need a gold to make up for the extra card in your hand. Late game you usually have quite a couple of cards in play and the card won't be attractive anymore anyway.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2011, 04:28:11 am »

Playing an antipeddler gives you a coin and raises the antipeddler cost by $1, so the net effect is zero. If you've played at least one action card (that doesn't make you richer) you couldn't buy this even with every copper in the game. In the early game any estate is going to make it almost impossible to buy it as you'd need a gold to make up for the extra card in your hand. Late game you usually have quite a couple of cards in play and the card won't be attractive anymore anyway.

When I first read this card I read it as +$1 per action card in play, but you are right; it does just say card. But your reasoning about the estate is flawed. Estates never make it in play and thus don't increase the cards cost.

Buggz

• Spy
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2011, 06:13:37 am »

I quoted the wrong part, he amended his card so gainers would have more trouble gaining it. Lookie here:

Antipeddler V2
Action $0*
+1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Coin
This card costs $2 more per card you have in you hand and $1 more per card you have in play.
(Even more crazy than Peddler)

Edit 2: Typo

An estate on hand means $2 more to the cost, and any treasure will add another $1. Thus, only a gold or better could "counter" an estate. I think this type of cost will get no love as it's incredibly hard to actually obtain the card and it also doesn't do anything that other cards don't already do.

You could get it with a chapel and a silver, trashing the other three cards, but that's a bit too niche.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:26:29 am by Buggz »

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2011, 11:36:04 am »

Well, how about these?

The Real Loan
Type: Treasure
Cost: Negative $1
When you buy this, +1 Buy.
When played, gives you: $0

Army
Type: Victory/Duration/Attack
Cost: $5
+2 VP
+1 Action
Each other player cleans up an Army from play.
At the start of your next turn,
if you have as at least 5 Armies in play
(minus the number of players, but no fewer than 1),
the game ends.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2011, 05:44:56 pm »
+1

They released the game description.  I haven't seen it anywhere on this site so here it is for those who haven't read it yet.

The world is big and your kingdom small. Small when compared to the world, that is; it's moderate-sized when compared to other kingdoms. But in a big world like this one - big when compared to smaller worlds anyway, if such things exist; it's moderate-sized when compared to worlds of roughly the same size, and a little small when compared to worlds just a little larger - well, to make a long story short - short when compared to longer stories anyway - it is time to stretch your borders. You've heard of far-off places - exotic countries, where they have pancakes but not waffles, where the people wear the wrong number of shirts, and don't even have a word for the look two people give each other when they each hope that the other will do something that they both want done but which neither of them wants to do. It is to these lands that you now turn your gaze.

Dominion: Hinterlands is the sixth addition to the game of Dominion. It adds 26 new Kingdom cards to Dominion, including 20 Actions, 3 Treasures, 3 Victory cards, and 3 Reactions. The central theme is cards that do something immediately when you buy them or gain them.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2011, 01:48:03 am »
+1

I'm expecting to see a card similar to:

Type: Victory

Worth 2 VP
----------------------------
When you buy this, reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Discard the revealed Victory and Curse cards and put the other cards back on top of your deck in any order.

Gansura

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2011, 11:46:40 am »

And I'm expecting a victory card that involves trashing upon purchase. Something with either the purchaser trashing, or the Bishop penalty such as:

Territory
Type: Victory
4 VP
------------
When you buy this, every player, including you, may trash a card from their hand
(Alternatively: when you buy this, every player, including you, must trash a card from his hand.)

My thinking is that this is strictly better than a Duchy in the late game, but helps your opponents more than it helps you in the early game. The alternative could mean that the purchaser may be forced to trash a victory if they are left in hand, or trash no card at all if all cards have been played.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2011, 12:04:09 pm »

I was quite tempted by the thought of barbarians. I'm sure it's imbalanced but Donald X. likes to surprise with some crazy looking cards that tend to be balanced.

Barbarians
Type: Action/Attack
Cost: 5

+1$. Each opponent must choose and discard a card from hand. For each treasure card discarded, +1$.

When you gain this card, every player must reveal a hand with no victory cards or return a victory card to the supply.

kazztawdal

• Salvager
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2011, 12:33:14 pm »

Does this topic actually have anything to do with Hinterlands?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2011, 12:46:24 pm »

Does this topic actually have anything to do with Hinterlands?

I linked to the "make up a card" topic a while ago in the hopes that people would stop posting made up cards here but it doesn't seem to have worked.

KingTheodenII

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2011, 03:20:35 am »

How about an attack card like Masquerade but better. Try this:

Super Masquerade [Cost: $5] (Or Some Better Name)

Reveal cards until a treasure is revealed. Pass
that card to the player to your left.

So say you reveal a platinum - PASS IT TO THE LEFT! Sucks, eh?

Or a card like this:

I call it "Dance Magic Dance" (It's an inside family joke from Labyrinth) [Cost: $6 and Potion]

Each other player gains two curses putting them on top
of his/her deck.

Cannot be King's Courted or Throne Roomed

Bonus Village [Cost: $10]

+3 Cards
+3 Actions
+2 Buy
+$3

Cannot be King's Courted or Throne Roomed

And then of course, one of my favorite ideas:

DIAMOND [Cost:$15]

Treasure card worth $10!!!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 2.453 seconds with 21 queries.