Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Slow / Time-consuming play  (Read 1445 times)

bearskinrug

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Slow / Time-consuming play
« on: July 20, 2012, 07:43:04 pm »

I'm still relatively new to the Dominion / Isotropic community, but I have a question regarding play etiquette.  I've noticed that some players take an exceptionally long amount of time per turn, sometimes due to delays and sometimes due to elaborate but unproductive card cycling techniques.  I've sat through three-minute turns of chained actions to see an ultimate result of a $4-5 card.  Is there a general protocol on this?  While I'm impressed when somebody can run up a million points using complicated Goons engines, I'm must less impressed when I have to keep telling the Duchess that, yes, I would like to keep the Gold that is on top of my deck as my opponent keeps running through an endless string of card cycles that lead to nothing.  If I'm in such a game and can't take it anymore, is it impolite to tell the other person congratulations and excuse myself from the game (as opposed to asking permission to forfeit, which I would generally do)?  Just would like to get a sense for the community mindset on this.

Thanks.
Matt

PS - I should note that the same question applies to situations where the opponent agonized for minutes at a time over what to buy w/ 3 coins or whether or not to take the Silver they've turned up w/ their Jester.  At what point is enough enough?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:44:42 pm by bearskinrug »

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Slow / Time-consuming play
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:05:44 pm »

If they are deliberately drawing the game out, by all means resign.  If it's clear that they are winning and you don't want to put yourself through more long turns (and they aren't playing slowly), I would recommend asking if they mind you resigning before just quitting.

As for single long decisions, most of the times it's unintentional and I will usually preface a long decision, with a "thinking" and apologize for the long turn. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Slow / Time-consuming play
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 02:42:15 am »

I don't see what there is to complain about if someone's actually playing the game. Just because their long action chain is inevitably going to be unfruitful, if it's within the rules of the game, they're doing nothing wrong. Long single decisions with no warning from your opponent are annoying, but that's what the timeout is for.

At the end of the day, if you don't like how a game is going, you are always free to resign.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.