Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Feedback appreciated  (Read 1707 times)

bearskinrug

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Feedback appreciated
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:13:41 pm »

Greetings.  I am a recent addition to the Dominion pantheon, and I feel like my gameplay could use a bit of direction.  Attached is the log for a game I just finished.  While I ultimately won the game, I felt like the win was more "reactive" than it was reading the board and formulating an up-front strategy.  Any feedback on the game progress, things I could have paid better attention to, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Matt

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback appreciated
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:34:13 pm »

On Turn 3, I would recommend getting another Witch.  Especially with Native Village around, winning the curse split by a wide margin is a huge advantage.  On Turn 5, you use $5 to buy a Silver.  In this case, you want City.  With two different types of cursing, Curses will run out, making Cities a very powerful buy.  The cheap action in NV also present a 2nd pile to doubly activate cities.  On numerous turns after, I would recommend the City.  Cities can normally be a trap card in that it is tough to get them to the point where they are worthwhile.  But I will repeat what I said earlier.  With Cursers in play, Curses WILL run out and that makes Cities a great buy.

That being said, good use of the Salvager in the end game.  Depleting Provinces by trashing provinces is a great way to prevent an opponent from being able to catch up. 

Welcome to the Dominion community here and feel free to post/ask anything regarding well... pretty much anything  :D

Also, for log posting, it is easier to just post a link to the game rather than a download.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:36:05 pm »

Well, you yourself said that it felt more reactive than planned - you should try to at least plan out where you think your deck is going to go, even if it changes along the way. When you realize that a mistake you made was not having a plan, I don't think it's too productive to point out minor things you could have done better; because typically, one would talk in terms of "does buying this card help you along your plan to get provinces" and here, you can't really say something like that if there's no plan to relate it to.

As I understand your strategy, it was to cobble together sort of a Native Village/City/Nobles/Witch engine... I suppose that works, especially when your opponent gets 7 Native Villages and 2 Cities with only 4 terminals in his deck (and 2 of them are sea hags which he won't even want to play after a few shuffles...). You got a reasonable balance of villages to smithies, on the other hand. So you definitely did that better than your opponent. 

I think you both neglected cities too much. Two piles emptied here, cities were level 3 by the end, and level 3 cities are pretty unstoppable once they get going.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:37:11 am »

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »

There's a pantheon? :o
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:49:20 pm »

There's a pantheon? :o

Poseidon's favourite set is Seaside.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.