Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Does Isotropic misplay Inn?  (Read 3490 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Does Isotropic misplay Inn?
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:46:53 am »
+4

Inn has you "reveal any number of Action cards" from your discard pile and shuffle them into your deck. Does Isotropic reveal the cards that get so transferred? I have the impression that it doesn't—i.e., that, to the opponent, it says "...shuffling four cards into the deck", not "...shuffling an Inn, two Torturers, and a Worker's Village into the deck". Is this the case?

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
Re: Does Isotropic misplay Inn?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:49:24 am »

Actually yes, but the soul reason that you have to reveal the cards you shuffle in is that Dominion is a physical game and you could cheat by shuffling in Treasures.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:53:57 am »
+1

Iso should emulate the paper game as much as possible.  That information is available in a paper game so it should be available on iso.

I mean, iso already tries to emulate the paper game as much as possible, this is just a slip up.  We don't have people ignore bureacrat attacks because the computer knows there's no victory card, the hand is revealed.

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:21:05 pm »

This would also affect your play if you know what your opponent is holding in their hand because they shuffled cards into a nearly empty draw deck. Did she shuffle her Reaction into her new hand? Did she remember to keep anything with +Buy or Gainers to 3-pile, etc...

If this is part of the play of the card, Iso should have it.

Also, Library.  Card text does not say "reveal", but Iso tells you which actions are being "set aside" - which, IRL you would have to do to avoid cheating.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 04:48:26 am »

This would also affect your play if you know what your opponent is holding in their hand because they shuffled cards into a nearly empty draw deck. Did she shuffle her Reaction into her new hand? Did she remember to keep anything with +Buy or Gainers to 3-pile, etc...

If this is part of the play of the card, Iso should have it.
It is very very rare that someone shuffles only their worst cards into their deck. If they have a reaction that helps them against a specific attack and they have to account for you playing that attack, it is very very rare that they do not shuffle it in.
I am not saying it shouldn't be changed here, I am just saying that it is a relatively minor issue.

Also, Library.  Card text does not say "reveal", but Iso tells you which actions are being "set aside" - which, IRL you would have to do to avoid cheating.
In real life you couldn't cheat with Library even if you were discarding the cards directly, because you put the cards face-up onto your discard pile one by one.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:22:54 am »

In real life you couldn't cheat with Library even if you were discarding the cards directly, because you put the cards face-up onto your discard pile one by one.

It'd be cheating to put the cards into your discard pile one-by-one, if I read you correctly. It's important to set them aside first so that if Library triggers a reshuffle, the set-aside actions don't participate in that reshuffle.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:25:45 am »

Good point. It was more 'bout the fact that your enemies still see if you discard a non-action though.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:27:22 am »

I think it's implicit in library that you have to show what you're setting aside. Otherwise, how do your opponents know that you're not cheating by setting aside non-actions?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 10:35:56 am »
+1

I think it's implicit in library that you have to show what you're setting aside. Otherwise, how do your opponents know that you're not cheating by setting aside non-actions?

I just went and checked the rules, and it's actually explicit:
“Set Aside” – when a player sets aside a card, he places it face-up on the
table (unless otherwise indicated) without following any instructions on
the card. An Action that requires a player to set aside cards will instruct
him on what to do with these cards

dougz

• Isotropic Designer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
    • Online Dominion
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 11:28:33 am »
+15

Inn must have changed between the last playtest version I implemented and the published card.  I have:
<blockquote>+2 Cards // +2 Actions // Discard 2 cards. // === // When you gain this, look through your discard pile, and shuffle any number of Action cards from it into your deck (including this).</blockquote>
The card as published:
<blockquote>+2 Cards // +2 Actions // Discard 2 cards. // === // When you gain this, look through your discard pile (including this), reveal any number of Action cards from it, and shuffle them into your deck.</blockquote>
I'll fix it next time the server is restarted.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 05:19:18 pm »

Thanks, Doug!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.