Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: The Best Designed Card  (Read 17729 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Designed Card
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 11:26:24 am »

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 11:44:38 am »

+1 Tactician
+1 Great Hall
+1 Masquerade

Silver
Silvers art sucks though. ;)
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 11:46:51 am »

+1 for Watchtower.  In addition to the reasons greatexpectations gave, it has really nice, atmospheric art. 
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 12:04:46 pm »

+1 Tactician
+1 Great Hall
+1 Masquerade

Silver
Silvers art sucks though. ;)
The new one?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 12:25:31 pm »
+1

I'd like to give a shout-out to Ill-Gotten Gains.

The artwork is very creepy and evocative. The name corresponds exactly to the card's effect: treasure that you acquire while harming others. Its behavior is easy to understand, and fits perfectly into Hinterlands—indeed, the one card any of us could have guessed in advance that Hinterlands would contain would be an on-gain curser. But what the effect of the on-gain curser would be, once it was in your deck, is something I think none of us would have predicted (did any of us even guess it would be a Treasure?)—and yet, in retrospect, it seems so perfectly balanced as to be inevitable.

Distributing curses is so desirable that an on-gain curser would have to have a pretty weak on-play effect, or it would be too strong to be priceable; the presence of an on-gain curser is almost guaranteed to cause two piles to exhaust simultaneously; having a deck full of weak cards and curses with two piles empty leads to a Duchy rush. And so we find the copper-gaining copper that IGG is: a weak card that you wouldn't ordinarily want if it didn't curse on gain; but if you're going to be led into a Duchy rush anyway, a copper-gaining copper turns out to be a really useful effect. So the two halves of IGG—its on-gain and on-play effects—synergize in a way that I think none of us saw coming, but makes for a really harmoniously structured card.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 12:31:08 pm »
+1

Uh, Peddler.

The mechanic is great--everybody loves cantrips, and everybody loves Peddlers.

It fits the set because it's so expensive--why would I want this card!--but then you see why/how you want this card, why it's such a great card.

It's got top-notch art in my opinion. She's too cute. How can you not buy up all her wares with your extra buys?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 12:31:25 pm »

I definitely have to +1 IGG. Totally agree with what AJD said.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 01:29:51 pm »

The new one?
Nope, the old one. I haven't seen the new one yet.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 01:43:14 pm »

Chapel.

It demonstrates so many things about the game. It is the classic "learning curve" card. It shows how the game can no-sweat handle a card that would be considered too powerful in other games.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 02:02:16 pm »

Tactician was my first thought, but it's already got the support, so I'll second Menagerie. It's such a feel-good card : activating it is a delight, but it also has strategic depth and is very powerful. Also, rewarding variety (aka being a Cornucopia card) is always good in my book.

Shouldn't we limit to one +1 per person ? Because it looks like half the cards in Dominion are gonna get in the poll at this rate.

Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pauley_walnuts

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 02:17:42 pm »
+1

+1 HoP

This card is slowly becoming a favorite of mine, to a fault sometimes. Whenever there's a chance to build an engine around it, I do. Fits thematically with the expansion, and has simple yet elegant card art.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 04:20:32 pm »

Tactician was my first thought, but it's already got the support, so I'll second Menagerie. It's such a feel-good card : activating it is a delight, but it also has strategic depth and is very powerful. Also, rewarding variety (aka being a Cornucopia card) is always good in my book.

Shouldn't we limit to one +1 per person ? Because it looks like half the cards in Dominion are gonna get in the poll at this rate.
Maybe I'll revise it eventually, but I'll see where it goes...

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 04:41:52 pm »

+1 chapel

I'll nominate Haggler. Given the criteria:

Mechanics: It's a cool mechanic. Strong enough but not overpowered. It can be one of the harder cards to evaluate in a given kingdom, IMO, which is a good thing.
Art: I like it.
Thematic fit: Next to thief, about as good as it gets. When you buy a card, you haggle to get a bonus card thrown into the deal.
Expansion fit: Hinterlands is all about on-gain/on-buy effects. Haggler gives you an on-buy effect.
Simplicity: It's a simple card. The hardest part is recognizing the difference between gaining a card and buying it, but haggler is a good introduction to those nuances.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 04:45:12 pm »

+ 1 for Haggler and Island. Both GREAT cards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 10:12:22 pm »

Pirate Ship.  I realize I'm probably biased, and I also realize that it's not the best card ever, but to me, it seems very well designed.  It does exactly what you'd think a Pirate Ship would do.  I always imagine myself looting and pillaging whenever I let loose a Pirate Ship.  And the art is pretty damn good, too.

As for the expansion fit, Pirate Ship is not a card that is good for you right away.  In fact, it's almost bad - you're helping your opponent get rid of chaff in their deck.  But if you use it well, Pirate Ship is a juggernaut in the late game - it can yield more coins than any other card of its cost, or really, any other card in the game, aside from perhaps Vault.  This ties in quite nicely with the "next turn" theme of Seaside.

Honorable Mentions:
Young Witch - BEAUTIFUL artwork, probably the best.
Harvest - it really feels like you reap what you sow with this card.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:15:51 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 01:25:25 am »

IGG a million times. +1 to ADJ.
For artwork, Monument, Possession, and Saboteur are cool.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2012, 01:48:47 am »

IGG a million times. +1 to ADJ.
For artwork, Monument, Possession, and Saboteur are cool.

In terms of artwork, I've always loved Scrying Pool. It might be a little kiddish but it's just so fun!

Oh, and also Alchemist. :P

But I voted for watchtower, it is a card that is so much deeper than it looks at first, it's been super interesting to me recently, and I'm trying to improve with it. It also has awesome art that looks nice with the color of the card itself.

HoP is great, Chapel is wonderful, City is fun and deep, I'm echoing a lot of the stuff already here.

I think I'll nominate Bishop because it is really unique and I feel that it fits into kingdoms in a different way than many cards, so that you have to consider it in a different light. Very cool concept that I think no one but Donald X. Vaccarino would come up with. And the artwork is awesome (does it remind anyone else of Dark Magician from Yu-gi-oh!??).
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 03:18:27 am »

Okay, since the poll is limited to 10 votes, I have to modify some stuff.

A candidate now needs 2 support votes to be entered into the poll.

So far, these cards have been nominated with the # of nominations/supports.
Hop 4
City 2
Island 2
Embargo 1
Masq 3
Golem 1
Silver 1
Tact 3
Village 2
Noble Brigand 1
Menagerie 2
Swindler 1
Watchtower 3
Lighthouse 1
Jack 1
Great Hall 1
IGG 3
Peddler 1
Chapel 2
Haggler 1
Pirate Ship 1
Bishop 1

This means only Horn of Plenty, Masquerade, Tactician, Watchtower and Ill-Gotten Gains have made the cut.
Because of this, I had to reset the vote count, otherwise it wouldn't have been fair. But voting is easy and only takes a second.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:31:09 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 03:44:50 am »
+3

Wow. I consider two of these cards (IGG and Masquerade) terribly dull and dominant in 50% of the games they show up in, and would consider them cards I *dislike*.

Adrienaline

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2012, 05:55:28 am »

Young Witch: How has this not been nominated yet? The strategy changes completely depending on what the bane card is, and it even acts as a partial defensive counter.
Apothecary: You think it's useless, but then you realise just what the combo potential can do. Needs the right board, but then what doesn't? Also plus for the art.
City: Yes, I like the upgrading mechanic too, and hope to see more of it.

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2012, 06:04:39 am »

Both great cards. I'll put in my last +1 for apothecary since it's one of my personal favorites.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 06:07:59 am »
+1

There's now a poll to see what gets in the poll?

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 07:49:07 am »

Wow. I consider two of these cards (IGG and Masquerade) terribly dull and dominant in 50% of the games they show up in, and would consider them cards I *dislike*.

Yeah, +1 to this comment! I'm very surprised to see that much love for IGG. In game terms, I consider it the epitome of a card whose rules design has made the game less fun. IGG-rush is a low skill strategy, yet its almost always dominant when IGG is present.

For my own part, I'll add +1 vote for another unpopular card, but one which I like a lot:

Possession!

Great art, thematically feels like what it represents (you are taking control of them as if they were your puppet, mwahahaha!). Rules wise its surprisingly satisfying, in that its not an auto-grab if its present, but its presence always affects how you strategise for a given kingdom.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 08:59:46 am »
+1

I would consider IGG to be one of the WORST designed cards (the other being Jack)

But this topic seems to oscillate a lot as to what "best-designed" means. Mechanics? Art? Theme? Because these categories aren't even a little correlated with each other.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:05:54 am by Kahryl »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 09:15:40 am »
+1

But this topic seems to ocillate a lot as to what "best-designed" means. Mechanics? Art? Theme? Because these categories aren't even a little correlated with each other.

The fact that those aren't correlated with each other is kind of the point, isn't it? Because they're not correlated, the number of cards that excel in all of those respects will be quite small.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 20 queries.