• WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Pin
« on: June 22, 2012, 02:24:24 pm »
+2

This is the most interesting and innovative card I think I've ever thought up

Pin
Cost: 5(?)
Reaction-Attack-Duration
Whenever an action card is played, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, place this on top of that action card. Both of these cards remain in play until the end of the game. (At the end of the game, all cards go back into their owners decks).

Basically, you pin a card to the board, and it stays in play all the time. There's probably some rules clarifications or rewordings or something that need to be made. The most common use, I expect, is to just take a card out of your opponent's deck. I pin your KC, you can't use it anymore. But it also has some interesting interactions with durations (maybe?) and 'while in play' cards like highway, goons, etc. Pin your own goons, and then every card you gain for the rest of the game gives you a VP chip. Pin a highway, and everything is permanently cheaper (but for everyone!)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Pin
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 02:33:08 pm »

That is interesting.

But you can't call it Pin! Maybe Imprison?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:36:57 pm »

That is interesting.

But you can't call it Pin! Maybe Imprison?
I don't get it. What's wrong with pin?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 02:43:41 pm »

It doesn't really have any early-modern European flavor.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10725
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 02:44:07 pm »

Well, this certainly is interesting and innovative. I really want to like it, but I don't think I do yet.

The targeted attack thing is the biggest turnoff, and is also bound to be the most common use of the card. There are only 9 or so cards that have a 'while this is in play' effect.

I can't think of any suggestions for improving it, but I would suggest this rewording:

Pin
Cost: 5
Reaction-Duration
When an Action card is played, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, put this on top of that Action card. For the remainder of the game, that Action card is not discarded during the Clean-up phase.

There's not much point in making Pin an Attack since it never gets played.

The other problem I see with this is, what if multiple people are thinking about using Pin on the same card? Whoever reveals it first has to use their Pin?

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:48:11 pm »

This would be the first nonaction "attack" to exist. That would have rules issues.. when you play it, can only the target player react to your attack, or can anyone?

Also: this is a targeted attack and is therefore political. I like politics but DonaldX specifically designed the game to have zero politics.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:50:46 pm »

I'm not trying to suggest printing it! Indeed, if it got printed, I'd be the first one to complain. I just thought it was interesting.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 02:54:39 pm »

It would be really fun to pin Highways, though. Cheap Provinces forever, for all!

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1560
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 02:55:50 pm »
+2

I like image of a card getting nailed to the table.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 03:26:33 pm »

Suggestion:  Leave the reaction as is but add an Action that can "unpin" cards.  If you consider the card itself "pinned" after using the reaction, then a second Pin could unpin your first one.

There would probably need to be a rule that has people reveal Pin by turn order, and if you pass then you lose your chance to pin.

How about calling it "Sewing Needle"?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 12:11:57 am »

5$ Pin
Action Reaction Attack
You may gain a Silver to the top of your deck.
Whenever the player to your left plays an action card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, play it; then, this action and that action stay in play until the end of the game. [players will probably figure out on their own that pairing the cards off will make the game state clearer]

Wordy, but  while it doesn't totally eliminate diplomacy it makes it reasonably thoughtful.  There's already some diplomacy, I mean, attacks don't hurt the players on your right as much as those on your left, right?  The important thing is that Dominion doesn't encourage you to gang up on whoever's ahead.

Note that this is meant to be a "big money guy takes down the action guys" card.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:27:21 am by popsofctown »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2859
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 08:50:58 pm »

I love that it's a Reaction-Attack. It just seems so contradictory for the card to be defensive-offensive.

The thing that bugs me the most about this card is that it doesn't have an effect when you play it, which makes it harder to justify it being an attack. Maybe...

Pin
$5
Action - Attack - Reaction

Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
Whenever an action card is played, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, place this on top of that action card. Both of these cards remain in play until the end of the game. (At the end of the game, all cards go back into their owners decks).

So this way, it's not totally useless if you don't feel like pinning down a Pawn. And if you felt like it, you could Pin down a Pin, which is way too silly to pass up. Militia discard because it seemed to fit the flavor of the name Pin the most.

I'm pretty sure this is costed horribly wrong but I don't care! It's also political, but I also don't care.

(Also if multiple people want to pin something, it would probably go in turn order starting from the player who played the card.)

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 09:21:01 pm »

In Puzzle Strike, there is a 1$ terminal attack/reaction.  It gives a 0 VP curse (handsize averages 6-7 so weaker effect), and when someone attacks you you may play it for free (it becomes essentially nonterminal).  As far as rules ambiguity goes, it is actually unexpectedly clear when you play with it.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 02:59:58 am »
+2

Pin
$5
Action - Attack - Reaction

Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.

So now we can have a KC/masq/pin pin. Well unless someone decides to pin your pin cards. So now pin is the counter to the pin?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.925 seconds with 21 queries.