Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Gambler - "The Risky Decisions Thread"  (Read 1163 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
The Gambler - "The Risky Decisions Thread"
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:48:19 am »
+2

Dominion?!?!?!?!  Who plays Dominion!?!?!  Where's the excitement in that game?  I'd rather be in Vegas deciding between Red and Black, desperately hoping not to bust or putting my money on the river.  In short, I'd rather be Gambling! 

Well lucky for us, there is a sense of Gambling in Dominion which can lead to some very exciting and tense moments.  In this thread, post those moments when you consciously go for broke with a certain type of play.  Whether they end in victory or defeat.  Whether  you risk a potential 3-pile or decide Saboteur is your only hope.  This thread is the spot to post those plays where you risked it all!

Gambler
Cost:  *0
Type:  Action - Treasure - Duration

This card may be played at any time during your action or buy phase.  After playing this card, you are obligated to end your current turn in a way that leads to a situation fraught with risk.  This card remains in play until the end of the game.  If the game ends in victory, return this card to your deck with a smug look on your face.  If the game ends in defeat, sheepishly return this card to your deck and bemoan your poor decision.

To start things off, this was a non-mirror match where I played Vault/BM (Baron/Silver opening) against an opponent who went Apothecary/Warehouse/Vault.  Things are quite even throughout the entire match.  My opponent buys the PP on Turn 14 to obtain a 6 point lead.  On my subsequent turn, I could tie, but I do something entirely different.

Code: [Select]
— shark_bait's turn 14 —
   shark_bait plays a Baron.
   ... getting +1 buy.
   ... discarding an Estate.
   ... getting +$4.
   shark_bait plays a Copper and a Gold.
   shark_bait buys a Duchy.
   shark_bait buys an Estate.
   (shark_bait reshuffles.)

With Baron being the only +buy in our game, I decide rather than tie, I want to use my +buy advantage to gain an extra tie-breaking VP card.  However, by not taking the tie, I left an opening for my opponent to cruise to victory if only he can muster the strength to buy the last Province.  He only manage a Duchy and I grab the last Province next turn and come out on top due to a little bit of Gambling.

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: The Gambler - "The Risky Decisions Thread"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:08:34 am »

Masquerade is the ultimate gamble card.

Especially in games with forced discarders like Militia.
If you play Militia first, your opponent gets to gamble whether you'll play Masq next. If you do, he should keep at least one crappy card. If not, he should discard his junk.

And I think I've passed a Duchy or something with $7 hoping I'd get a Copper back.

Duchess can also be a bit funny with Swindler/Jester/etc.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: The Gambler - "The Risky Decisions Thread"
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:37:25 am »

Possession and ambassador. Most of the time you can't afford to pass on the ambassador, but if you get possessed with it in your hand, there goes your gold, or your own possession, or your province...

I've only played a few games like this, but it has always worked out well for me. Here are the ones I remember playing:

This one I played just a day or two ago. I open double ambassador to my opponent's cache/courtyard. If my opponent gets an early possession, I'm dead, and his opening is probably a pretty good try at it. He picks up a potion early, but as I hoped, he can't make it to 6P due to all the junk I sent his way. He picks up a few late ambassadors to try to fight back, but it's too little, too late. Meanwhile, I expand my ambassadors so they can't be used against me and pick up two possessions. My opponent resigns before I can do any real damage with possessed ambassadors, but I get some nice cards by expanding his stuff.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120623-192939-4d956e61.html

I posted this one in the "I'm sorry" thread. This game was cruel, and probably needlessly so.  Possession, ambassador, king's court, scrying pool. I open double ambassador vs. his ambassador/potion. My play should (and does) produce the better engine but it's more vunerable to possession, particularly an early one. The strong engine pays off and lets me possess my opponent an obscene number of times--13 times on turn 22. In those 13 possessions, I steal a scrying pool, city, festival, gold, and king's court.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120525-224133-076ae953.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:33:44 am by iangoth »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.478 seconds with 20 queries.