Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rabble killed me in this set. Why?  (Read 1487 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Rabble killed me in this set. Why?
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:13:42 am »

So here's the set:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/18/game-20120618-060749-a2b62b6f.html

My strategy was to pick up a couple Universities, and use them to grab Rabbles and Working Villages, trash my Coppers with a Mint, and then load up on Platinums.  I grabbed Native Villages to help sequester cards so I wouldn't get stuck on a turn, and Barons because with my thinner deck and drawing power I thought it'd be easy to hit and Estate with the Baron.

So how did I get steamrolled?

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Re: Rabble killed me in this set. Why?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:24:21 am »

You had just as many rabbles as he had. I can't see you done anything wrong, he was just a bit lucky, to get a village and rabble clash on his hands.

sjelkjd

• Salvager
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:25:06 am »

University is slow.  The lack of +1 card is really harmful, actually.  Especially since there is village + draw + attack, and no other great actions, it's probably just too slow compared to building native village + rabble.  The other problem is that late game, if you're not gaining good actions, University is a dead card(because native village gives you all the +actions you need).  Also, when playing against a rabble draw engine, I'm not a fan of buying the lower priced victory cards(ie Duchy on turn 16).  Turn 6 you probably should have bought rabble instead of worker's village.  Turn 12 gain a rabble instead of WV.  I would have focused on being able to draw your whole deck with uni/NV/rabble, and with NV, don't overbuy university.  You split the rabbles - you should have won the rabble split with university.
The other interesting card is Baron.  With a good draw engine, and no trashing, baron gives you both buys and cash.

sjelkjd

• Salvager
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:29:09 am »

To illustrate just how bad worker's village is for you in this set, look at the only times you played it early on.  Each time you didn't need it for +actions.  You used the +buy to gain a NV and university - and you had too many universities.  So basically every time you played it, it was a null card.  Imagine if those were rabbles instead - you would have drawn more and attacked your opponent.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:46 am »

You resigned, and you weren't lost!

But basically, you want to get more rabbles. Cards is the big limited resource, so you want to make sure you get bunches of them while you can. Actions can come later.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:02:14 pm »
+1

I think you've got the wrong balance here. The basic plan of universities and rabbles is fine but you really want to finish with far fewer native villages/universities. If you use treasure maps to gain the gold once you have the mint and a good drawing deck, you can then skip the early gold and barons.

There's also diminishing returns from using native villages as a defence to rabble. The first native village played in your turn will probably be able to shift a green card, however you really want to leave it on the mat from turn to turn. Playing many native villages in the same turn just induces you to take that card off the mat sooner. There are alternative +action cards for you to use here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 17 queries.