Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fan Expansion: Clockwork (25 Card expansion) (now cancelled :<)  (Read 21245 times)

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Expansion: Clockwork (25 Card expansion, Beta) (Updated 08.18.12)
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 11:18:20 pm »

This set is really cool and creative.  I love a lot of the ideas that you introduce.  But I do agree with razorborne that some cards seem to be needlessly complex. 

For example, why does monacle need the treasure and the deck-filtering action and the reaction?  I think it could be good with any two of those effects, possibly rebalanced to make sure it's useful when no attacks are around.  As an even better example, why does the carpenter have the money and the gain and the reaction?  Again, I think you could have only two of these components, and this card would still be interesting and fun.

I have a similar feeling about misfit, accurst and demodel.  Why are they doing so many things?  Misfit is basically smithy + penalty + militia, but the penalty and militia components are needlessly complex.  Donald seems to be really fascist about the amount of wording on his cards, and people get on his case about this, but he's absolutely right.  It's not just the words themselves -- it's the complexity of the concept, both in terms of understanding what's going on and actually playing the card properly.

Think of the mental checklist that we have to go through if I play a couple of misfits.  "I play a village, and then I play a misfit.  Okay, draw three cards, done...now, do I have an action?  Which action should I discard?  Hmm, I guess I'll discard this one.  Now, everybody else, look at your hand...do you have actions?  If so, pick one to discard...Okay,  now I play another misfit. Hmm, this time I didn't draw any actions, but I've got a couple silvers, a gold, a copper, a HoP here...hmm, which do I want to keep?  What's my total treasure right now?  Can I buy a province?  Ok, I guess I'll toss the HoP.  Wait, did everybody else remember to discard a second action?  Oh, you discarded down to 3 before.  Okay then..."

That's a lot to think about from just playing one card.  There's a lot of checking there, a lot of decisions, and a lot of opportunities for human error.

Most importantly, I think that many of these cards can be simplified greatly without losing their creativity or originality. 

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Expansion: Clockwork (25 Card expansion, Beta) (Updated 08.18.12)
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »

After getting a few ideas from some people I showed this set to, I partially do agree that some of the more complicated ones like Misfit can be simplified quite a bit without losing much of the basic idea behind them. However, due to human error while emigrating my personal data to another machine I lost all editable image files from this set. :<
Thus this set will stay as is. While it is only "semi-finished" it is definitely playable in this state and has a lot of neat interactions. (Troll has a wording error though and should say "Gain a Treasure card costing up to $1 more than the most expensive revealed Action card." in the middle part).

I'll most likely take a few of the "easy" cards that people who saw this set liked a lot (Galvanize, Polycephaly, Alpine Village and Sawmill) and put them into another one, maybe with slight changes. :]
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.266 seconds with 20 queries.