Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Exception to the Rule  (Read 4903 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1858
    • View Profile
Exception to the Rule
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:32:50 pm »

What a crazy game! The silver pile is empty, thanks to trader, and you've drawn your whole deck. With one action to spare, you can pick between Bureaucrat and Ghost Ship before buying the penultimate province- but good news! You've seen your opponent's hand, thanks to a Cutpurse. You confidently play the Bureaucrat. Why? (Many correct answers.)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Exception to the Rule
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:37:14 pm »

You have already played a Ghost Ship that turn.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:38:50 pm »

What a crazy game! The silver pile is empty, thanks to trader, and you've drawn your whole deck. With one action to spare, you can pick between Bureaucrat and Ghost Ship before buying the penultimate province- but good news! You've seen your opponent's hand, thanks to a Cutpurse. You confidently play the Bureaucrat. Why? (Many correct answers.)

Opponents hand is Silver Silver Silver Trader Nobles
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:46 pm »

I guess the most obvious solution (to me at least!) is to block Tournament.  And there could be many reasons for that one -- Opponent needs a Duchy and otherwise can't afford it, or maybe Diadem would give him enough coin for the last Province (thanks to last turn's FV or other disappearing villages).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:43:22 pm »

Gold-Gold-Harem-Copper, with another Copper lost due to the earlier played Cutpurse.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:46:41 pm »

Gold-Gold-Harem-Copper, with another Copper lost due to the earlier played Cutpurse.
The hand was revealed, thus the opponent had no copper in hand.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:47:43 pm »

The penultimate Province puts you X+1 points ahead where X is the total number of points left available in the game after that Province has gone, so you don't really care which you play.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:51:09 pm »

The hand was revealed, thus the opponent had no copper in hand.

Oops, my bad.  The general idea still works though! Gold-Gold-Harem-X-Y, where X and Y are not victory cards nor things that would be collectively worth $2.  Things that work include Curse, Loan, single FG, various useless actions.

And a different approach:

Neither attack will be effective (e.g. they are already at 3 cards and don't have any green in hand) but the Bureaucrat silver gain will help with your Gardens.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:53:46 pm by eHalcyon »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:20:42 pm »

Neither attack will be effective (e.g. they are already at 3 cards and don't have any green in hand) but the Bureaucrat silver gain will help with your Gardens.
The silver pile is empty

chester

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:36:23 pm »

His hand is Expand, Duchy, Curse, Curse, Curse. 

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 02:56:53 pm »

Doesn't work because the if they discarded copper, they wouldn't have to reveal hand.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +770
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 03:28:19 pm »
+2

My quick solutions:

1. Your opponent has fewer than three cards in hand.
2. You have already played possession and b-crat lets you hurt the hand your opponent will actually play.
3. Your opponent has a hand of harems (e.g. harem x4, curse)
4. Your opponent has a hand of Council room x3, throne room, nobles.
5. Your opponent has a remodel in hand with curse x3, fairgrounds.
6. Your opponent has a single harem, a mint, curse x3.
7. Your opponent has a copy of the only victory card in hand already on top of his deck and has harvest in hand.
8. Your opponent has a hand with HoP, Great Hall, silver, silver, silver with havens giving 5 drawless cards to play.
9. You are in a 3er and you know the other opponent will swindle his province -> peddler.
10. Your opponent has an apprentice engine capable of hitting 2 colonies and has curse x3, apprentice, colony in hand.
11. Your opponent has a minion in hand and will just go for four anyways (the GS will let him keep the green in hand and pick up treasure.
12. Your opponent has menage, estate x2, silver x2 in hand.
13. Your opponent has curse x2, province x2, lookout in hand.
14. Your opponent has tunnel and in hand discarder (e.g. cellar, secret chamber).
15. Your opponent has SP in hand and you want to have better odds of it not drawing his whole deck.
15. Your opponent has HP, silver x3, estate in hand.
16. Your opponent has a Pstone in hand that increases in value if you GS, but not if you b-crat.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1560
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:04:09 pm »
+2

Opponent hand is KC-KC-KC-KC-Nobles.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 04:05:39 pm »

Doesn't work because the if they discarded copper, they wouldn't have to reveal hand.

/fail

Edit: I actually meant to make this comment in response to this:

The silver pile is empty

Reading is hard for me, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:23:53 pm by eHalcyon »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 07:04:12 pm »

/fail

Nah, it works, but only if you've played two cutpurses already.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 02:33:27 am »

/fail

Nah, it works, but only if you've played two cutpurses already.

You'd need three Cutpurses as the second would discard the second Copper. The third would reveal the hand.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 04:42:56 am »

You've already played a Ghost Ship, and B-Crat is the 8th/11th different card you need for Horn of Plenty
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 08:03:01 pm »
+1

I think it's funner if we can't use "this or that happened earlier in the turn" and don't use hybrids.

Your opponent's hand is Gold, Gold, Menagerie, Duchy, Estate
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.