Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Exhibition  (Read 3577 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Exhibition
« on: June 05, 2012, 07:47:36 pm »
+1

Exhibition
Types: Action - Reaction?
Cost: $5
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put them back in any order.

When you reveal this from your deck, you may gain a Silver.

Although it's a bit of a leap, I came up with this card after being inspired by this thread. It's a bit of an oddity, but I don't think there are any rules ambiguities in it, with the exception of Moneylender and Throne Room. In real life, I play those two cards as if they had a 'you may' clause attached to the beginning, rather than that you must reveal a hand without Coppers or Action cards, respectively.

This card can potentially boost a bunch of cards that could use more love, including Scout, Harvest, Adventurer, etc. It also boosts Hunting Party, but what are you gonna do, eh? So it goes.

Any takers?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:43:59 pm by LastFootnote »

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:00:03 pm »
+1

With disregard to other enablers: I think there are too many games where you don't want that much additional silvers by the time you could buy enough Exhibitions to make them worthwhile.

It is probably quite neat in cursing games without trashers though.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:07:52 pm »
+1

Neat card.

I think, though, that the most important thing to worry about here is the reveal and rearrange portion. I might be wrong, but I think it could be pretty powerful, maybe too powerful. I think it's reasonable to say that I could buy ~4-5 of these pretty quickly, like around turn 7-8. At this point, about 1/4 of your deck is Exhibition, so most turns, you can do the following: Play exhibition, reveal four cards, reveal exhibition, gain silver, play another cantrip, play exhibition, buy gold.
This could be a really powerful strategy. Of course, eventually those silvers will water down your decks power, but at that point, hey, you're buying provinces anyway. So I think it needs a slight nerf, maybe it should only reveal three cards.

However, what do I know? Playtest an Exhibition-only strategy, see how it does.
Also, change the type to Action-Reaction.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:17:08 pm »

Neat card.

I think, though, that the most important thing to worry about here is the reveal and rearrange portion. I might be wrong, but I think it could be pretty powerful, maybe too powerful. I think it's reasonable to say that I could buy ~4-5 of these pretty quickly, like around turn 7-8. At this point, about 1/4 of your deck is Exhibition, so most turns, you can do the following: Play exhibition, reveal four cards, reveal exhibition, gain silver, play another cantrip, play exhibition, buy gold.
This could be a really powerful strategy. Of course, eventually those silvers will water down your decks power, but at that point, hey, you're buying provinces anyway. So I think it needs a slight nerf, maybe it should only reveal three cards.

Yes, I agree entirely that nerfing it down to three cards is the right call. Initially I had it reveal then discard 4 cards, which is less powerful in most situations, but I realized that it might lead to too much shuffling in a real-life game. Now that it makes you put the cards back, 3 cards seems better.

That was my initial thought too, but upon further reflection, I don't believe it's a Reaction card any more than cards with a 'when you gain this' or 'when you buy this' clause. With the existing Reaction cards, you reveal (or trash) them at a time when you otherwise couldn't do so. I think that's what makes them Reaction cards.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:35:52 pm »

You're right.

If it was made into a reaction, it would have the awkward problem of: When you reveal this, you may reveal this to gain a silver.  :P

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 09:47:40 pm »

I like this. It seems to be a unique mechanic from anything I've seen or come up with.

I do think it should be a Reaction card. There's nothing that says that a Reaction card must be revealed to take effect. It is simply a card that reacts to something besides being played. I think it's significantly more of a Reaction card than on-buy or on-gain cards.

On second look, other cards besides on-buy cards have a reactionary nature that aren't Reaction cards. Examples include Herbalist, Stash, Hoard, Mint, Goons, Treasury, etc.

permanoob

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 10:53:00 pm »

What about gaining an exhibition instead of a silver? Or perhaps gaining a $4 or less card as in workshop?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:05:04 pm »

What about gaining an exhibition instead of a silver? Or perhaps gaining a $4 or less card as in workshop?

Well, I'd actually considered both of those ideas. I decided that gaining an Exhibition would empty the stack too quickly, making the on-reveal ability useless quickly. The workshop idea I feared might enable super-fast pile emptying and also might create too much AP (since the on-reveal bit can activate on other players' turns with Thief, Saboteur, etc.). But if the current version doesn't work out, I might try those variants.

Lhurgoyf

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:22:15 pm »
+1

That was my initial thought too, but upon further reflection, I don't believe it's a Reaction card any more than cards with a 'when you gain this' or 'when you buy this' clause. With the existing Reaction cards, you reveal (or trash) them at a time when you otherwise couldn't do so. I think that's what makes them Reaction cards.

I do believe it's a Reaction card, because any action that reveals cards from the draw pile triggers the reaction part of it which is to choose to gain a Silver or not. You dont have to state "When you reveal this, you may reveal this to gain a silver." Just "When you reveal this, you may gain a Silver."
The only problem is how to prevent it from being revealed multiple times. Well I think since the card itself doesn't state you may reveal it, only "when you reveal it" (talking about its reaction part), it would be clear that you can reveal it only once per effect that makes you reveal it.

I would restrict the reveal to reveal from the Draw pile, else it also gets triggered by Cutpurse and Bureaucrat when you reveal your hand, or is this intended. I just think a general "reveal" leaves too many options open to discussion.
This also prevents you from revealing it indefinitely from your hand because you can reveal from the draw pile only when an effect tells you to.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 11:43:19 pm »

I do believe it's a Reaction card, because any action that reveals cards from the draw pile triggers the reaction part of it which is to choose to gain a Silver or not. You dont have to state "When you reveal this, you may reveal this to gain a silver." Just "When you reveal this, you may gain a Silver."

Well, it's a tough call. I'm thinking of classifying it as a Reaction card simply so that it's easier to remember the on-reveal effect. I could be wrong, but I believe that's why Reactions are a special type/color in the first place.

The only problem is how to prevent it from being revealed multiple times. Well I think since the card itself doesn't state you may reveal it, only "when you reveal it" (talking about its reaction part), it would be clear that you can reveal it only once per effect that makes you reveal it.

This isn't an issue. As you say, you can only use the effect once per reveal because you're only revealing it once. Similarly, you can't reveal a Tunnel multiple times for a single discard.

I would restrict the reveal to reveal from the Draw pile, else it also gets triggered by Cutpurse and Bureaucrat when you reveal your hand, or is this intended. I just think a general "reveal" leaves too many options open to discussion.

Well, you've got a good point. I had realized that Bureaucrat and Cutpurse could trigger it, as could Shanty Town and Menagerie. However, I think I like it better your way. Using your change, here is the list of official cards that can activate Exhibition: Adventurer, Spy, Thief, Saboteur, Scout, Tribute, Wishing Well, Pirate Ship, Apothecary, Golem, Scrying Pool, Loan, Rabble, Venture, Farming Village, Fortune Teller, Harvest, Hunting Party, Noble Brigand, Oracle, and Envoy.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:57:09 am by LastFootnote »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.798 seconds with 21 queries.