Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Scrying pool vs nothing  (Read 1697 times)

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Scrying pool vs nothing
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:35:08 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/05/game-20120605-075329-d16b202f.html
So in this board there are not allot of good options. The proof is that the game lasted 18 turns with no
attacks. My opponent went for scrying pool but I just went for bm because a) there was embargo which is bad for all potion cards and b) there was no trashing.
My questions are
1. who had the better overall strategy
2. what were my biggest mistakes
3. Whats the best way in general to approach boards with out allot of good options
4. If I had managed to embargo the pools before he got one, would I have won
5.  f I had managed to embargo the pools before he got one, should he have bought one anyway
6. If the answer to q1 is him and the answer to q4 is yes than how should he go about ensuring he can get a pool b4 the embargo
I ask this because in this game: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120604-193713-b3675d33.html
we have a similar situation of nothing good on the board except for scrying pool but going for it doest work because of embargo. whats the difference between the first game and the second?
Thanks all!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Scrying pool vs nothing
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 11:58:12 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/05/game-20120605-075329-d16b202f.html
So in this board there are not allot of good options. The proof is that the game lasted 18 turns with no
attacks. My opponent went for scrying pool but I just went for bm because a) there was embargo which is bad for all potion cards and b) there was no trashing.
My questions are
1. who had the better overall strategy
2. what were my biggest mistakes
3. Whats the best way in general to approach boards with out allot of good options
4. If I had managed to embargo the pools before he got one, would I have won
5.  f I had managed to embargo the pools before he got one, should he have bought one anyway
6. If the answer to q1 is him and the answer to q4 is yes than how should he go about ensuring he can get a pool b4 the embargo
I ask this because in this game: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120604-193713-b3675d33.html
we have a similar situation of nothing good on the board except for scrying pool but going for it doest work because of embargo. whats the difference between the first game and the second?
Thanks all!

As for the first game, this would be a pretty good Scrying Pool game (lots of cheap Actions that give money, buy), except for the Embargo. So, you're probably correct to ignore them. But... you definitely did not play the optimal non-Pool strategy. You don't have any Nobles! Nobles with Crossroads is obviously better than what you did. Throw in Fishing Village so you can use more Nobles for cards, get Inns, maybe some Pawns or Markets... and you have a super engine going.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 12:37:22 pm »

Your opponent didn't actually go for a typical scrying pool strategy. He used fishing villages to support drawing from nobles and pawns. This deck accelerated since a large hand drawn one turn kick started the next turn with actions and spending from the duration cards. Inns and scrying pools would have helped but they weren't strictly needed. I suppose this means the embargo wasn't crucial, but you still should have bought it on turn 4.

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:35:28 pm »

DG is right. I wasn't specifically going for a scrying pool strategy. But the way I saw it it was a low risk high payoff buy. Either I get them, or worst case, I eat one potion card. Especially considering you had no +buy at the time. Your embargo cost you 7 which means my workshopping potion instead of fishing village or pawn cost you a gold. That's also a win.

gorgonstar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:38:39 pm »

With the embargoes on the board I think it is best to have a flexible strategy that may incorporate a variety of cards.  I think your strategy is too slow even if you embargoed scrying pools before he bought one.

Your opponents strategy is best on this board since it's very flexible.  Since you didn't have a source of plus buy, if you buy an embargo you'll have to overpay for it.  Notice that his strategy doesn't center around the potion, since he gets it at turn 5.  If it's not a good gain for him versus your strategy he doesn't need to buy it. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.