Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ironworks + Big Money Mirror-ish Match on the Weakest Board Ever  (Read 4250 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile

What a weak spread of cards! http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/24/game-20120524-225837-183f45fb.html

Border Village, Coppersmith, Embargo, Farming Village, Ironworks, Scheme, Scout, Throne Room, Treasure Map, and Wishing Well

We both go Ironworks/Silver. He picked up a second Ironworks at one point, and I Embargoed the Provinces when I was ahead. That was the whole game.

I know Treasure Map is strong on a weak field, but... I didn't want to be at the mercy of the Maps with no trashing or cycling of any kind.

What would you do here?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Ironworks + Big Money Mirror-ish Match on the Weakest Board Ever
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:10:45 am »
+2

Nobody tempted to go Scheme - Teasure Map?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:16:26 am »

You could open IW/Scheme, use IW to gain lots of maps and scheme to play the IW as much as possible.  By not buying non cantrip cards, you'd keep your effective deck size small and quickly gain a large TM density mitigating the luck factor of the card.  Then use your newly gained golds to grab those provinces, picking up silver with the IW once you're done with going for maps.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:01:23 am »

You could open IW/Scheme, use IW to gain lots of maps and scheme to play the IW as much as possible.  By not buying non cantrip cards, you'd keep your effective deck size small and quickly gain a large TM density mitigating the luck factor of the card.  Then use your newly gained golds to grab those provinces, picking up silver with the IW once you're done with going for maps.

I COULD do that... but not doing that did get my 4 Provinces in 13 Turns. Do you think your IW/Scheme/TM plan could really do that well? I obviously got great shuffle luck, but let's say it had taken me 15 Turns to get those 4 Provinces. Worth it?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:18:27 am »

What a weak spread of cards! http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/24/game-20120524-225837-183f45fb.html

Border Village, Coppersmith, Embargo, Farming Village, Ironworks, Scheme, Scout, Throne Room, Treasure Map, and Wishing Well

This is the weakest dominion board I've ever seen arise outside the puzzles subforum.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 04:31:18 am »
+1

Open Treasure Map/Wishing Well and with some intelligent deck tracking you should be Golden pretty soon. I think this is going to be slightly faster than the Ironworks into TM plan (which seems fun though).

Coppersmith/Wishing Well looks promising to get a lot of Golds early, but the sim says it's garbage.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 04:46:01 am »

And I assume the Sim plays WW pretty good?

Does it use optimistic guessing or does it just play the odds trying to hit a card?
I mean, if you already have 5 Coppers in hand (1 drawn with the Well) and 3 Estates and 1 Copper left in your deck, you're more likely to hit an Estate.
But hitting the Copper means you can grab a Gold.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 05:01:37 am »

The sim chooses the most likely card on top of the deck, not the most desirable card. I'm sure the win% won't go up dramatically if it played it better because the odds of actually revealing the Copper there are 1 in 4.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 12:15:04 pm »

I COULD do that... but not doing that did get my 4 Provinces in 13 Turns. Do you think your IW/Scheme/TM plan could really do that well? I obviously got great shuffle luck, but let's say it had taken me 15 Turns to get those 4 Provinces. Worth it?

My first suggestion was just off the top of my head.  I went and did a little solitaire and well, it's kinda hard to know how well it needs to work.  I found that with the IW/Scheme opening, you often get $2 for an embargo.  Which would obviously be played on the gold pile if the opponent is not going for maps thus denying them that card.  So with these embargoes, a benchmark is kinda hard to set.  So it really is hard to compare this to your strategy.  Could you have gotten your provinces when you did if the gold pile was embargoed say around turn 7 or 8ish? 

However, in the solitaire games, it did suffer from the luck of the draw.  Sometimes I would have 4 maps in my deck after the second reshuffle, sometimes only 2.  Sometimes they hit, sometimes they wouldn't.  So this strategy is very subject to luck of the draw, but it also has some ability to hinder the opponents.  It probably isn't the optimal strategy, but it has the potential to be great.

So to wrap up, here's a good ole chemistry analogy.  Treasure map games are like Mössbauer spectroscopy.  When they're good, they're really really good.  However they are only really really good in certain games. 

*For those interested, Mössbauer spectroscopy requires the source to emit gamma rays.  It is therefore limited to certain isotopes of certain elements and thus can only be used in limited cases.  But when it is used, the spectrum it provides has an extremely high sensitivity.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 01:34:43 pm »

This is the weakest dominion board I've ever seen arise outside the puzzles subforum.

I know, right! I just couldn't believe it was real when I was playing it. "Okay time to buy... nah, a Silver. Next... another Silver. And how how about... a Silver, again."

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 01:38:06 pm »

i am going to submit this as the weakest board ever.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 01:54:04 pm »

Nah ah, my board is weaker! Seriously, I think it is. Though yours is pretty weak. Your main problem though I think is the Potion opening. For Transmute!? On your board, I think I would just play Fortune Teller/Big Money, possibly with Lookout.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 02:42:21 pm »

nah fortune teller is better than people think, i recall a couple of games (out of my ~2000) where i've opted for fortune teller - big money.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 04:05:14 pm »
+1

My first suggestion was just off the top of my head.  I went and did a little solitaire and well, it's kinda hard to know how well it needs to work.  I found that with the IW/Scheme opening, you often get $2 for an embargo.  Which would obviously be played on the gold pile if the opponent is not going for maps thus denying them that card.  So with these embargoes, a benchmark is kinda hard to set.  So it really is hard to compare this to your strategy.  Could you have gotten your provinces when you did if the gold pile was embargoed say around turn 7 or 8ish? 

However, in the solitaire games, it did suffer from the luck of the draw.  Sometimes I would have 4 maps in my deck after the second reshuffle, sometimes only 2.  Sometimes they hit, sometimes they wouldn't.  So this strategy is very subject to luck of the draw, but it also has some ability to hinder the opponents.  It probably isn't the optimal strategy, but it has the potential to be great.

So to wrap up, here's a good ole chemistry analogy.  Treasure map games are like Mössbauer spectroscopy.  When they're good, they're really really good.  However they are only really really good in certain games. 

*For those interested, Mössbauer spectroscopy requires the source to emit gamma rays.  It is therefore limited to certain isotopes of certain elements and thus can only be used in limited cases.  But when it is used, the spectrum it provides has an extremely high sensitivity.

+1 for spectroscopy in general, and +3 for Mossbauer specifically.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 04:31:31 pm »

Coppersmith/Wishing Well looks promising to get a lot of Golds early, but the sim says it's garbage.

Hey, you're forgetting that scout/wishing well/coppersmith is available here! That's one of the classic failed combinations from intrigue.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.098 seconds with 21 queries.