Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Great responses / counters  (Read 12816 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10766
    • View Profile
Great responses / counters
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:07:50 pm »

Inspired by the last post in this thread, I realized that an ever more epic version would be:

Opponent plays King's Court, Torturer (with Curses still left to take).
You discard your entire hand.
On your turn, you pick up the Minion you had set aside with Haven; draw 4 new cards.

So, what other awesome responses to otherwise powerful moves are out there? Obviously, a similar, but not quite as epic, move would be to take all the Curses in hand and then Forge/Chapel them away.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: Great responses / counters
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:13:02 pm »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=171.0
This was the absolute best "gems to gemonade" turn I've ever had playing Dominion.  I turn something really bad (gaining 3 curses), into something really awesome (KCing a torturer).

I get hit by a KCed torturer, gain 3 curses, cellar off 6 cards from my deck, and turn the tables, hitting my own KCed torturer and finishing off by trading post away the 3 curses I picked up at the start of the turn.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110417-171217-038cf33a.html#mlo-show-turn-15

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:22:18 pm »

Responding to KC-mountebank with a trader, maybe?

Possession is of course a response to any sort of powerful move that sets up your opponent's next turn.

Opponent empties two piles to power up his cities; respond on your turn with Throne Room->ambassador to put cards back in those piles.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:24:44 pm »
+2

This was the absolute best "gems to gemonade" turn I've ever had playing Dominion.  I turn something really bad (gaining 3 curses), into something really awesome (KCing a torturer).

I get hit by a KCed torturer, gain 3 curses, cellar off 6 cards from my deck, and turn the tables, hitting my own KCed torturer and finishing off by trading post away the 3 curses I picked up at the start of the turn.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110417-171217-038cf33a.html#mlo-show-turn-15

A case where cellar is better than warehouse!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:39:40 pm »
+2

A case where cellar is better than warehouse!

Don't tell Theory!   :P

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »

Opponent empties two piles to power up his cities; respond on your turn with Throne Room->ambassador to put cards back in those piles.
LOL, I would love to see this!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:18:44 pm »

I turn your attention to Turns 11 and 12 of this game where my opponent KC-KC-Torturer-Torturer's me and I take all the curses and respond with KC-Chapel to trash all of my curses.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110831-190736-45f253cb.html

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 05:18:36 pm »
+3

Opponent plays a militia. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 06:27:01 pm »
+1

Opponent plays a militia. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck.

Opponent plays Margrave. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »

Opponent plays Margrave. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck.

Opponent plays 8 Governors for +cards, followed by Militia. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 06:45:23 pm »
+1

Opponent plays 8 Governors for +cards, followed by Militia. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck.

Why stop at 8? It's a 3 player game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 06:46:46 pm »
+10

Another one that happened to me in a real game:

goshen plays a Governor.
   ... getting +1 action.
   ... goshen trashes a Gold.
   ... goshen gains a Province.
   ... GendoIkari trashes a Potion.
   ... GendoIkari gains an Inn.
   ... ... shuffling 13 cards into the draw pile.
   goshen plays a Fortune Teller.
   ... getting +$2.
   ... GendoIkari reveals a Festival, a Festival, a Festival, a Scrying Pool, a Festival, a Spice Merchant, a Fortune Teller, an Inn, a Scrying Pool, a Festival, a Festival, a Fortune Teller, a Scrying Pool, and a Province.
   ... GendoIkari puts the Province back onto the deck.
   ... GendoIkari discards 2 Fortune Tellers, 3 Scrying Pools, an Inn, a Spice Merchant, and 6 Festivals.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 06:47:17 pm »

lol, I almost said something about "more with more then 2 people."

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 06:58:07 pm »

Opponent had 10 Golems in hand and already had played 4 bridges. He had KC'd some ironworks earlier, emptying the throne room and saboteur piles. Your entire discard consists of 12 tunnels and 7 gardens; your hand consists of a trader and 4 gardens

Golem - Throne RoomX2->Golem X2:
Throne Room X4 (7 Golems total)

3 Golems:
Scrying pool, draw 5 Saboteurs (pile emptied earlier with Ironworks/bridge)

TR,TR,TR,TR,TR -> Saboteur, gaining 120 cards (but on isotropic you can only gain 40 silvers + 30 golds)

+ 77 VP

Can do better with more TR/Golem shenanigans but I was too lazy and consider the isotropic coin cap a good limit  :P
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:03:54 pm by O »

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 07:11:44 pm »
+3

goshen plays a Governor.
   ... getting +1 action.
   ... getting +$2.
   ... GendoIkari reveals a Festival, a Festival, a Festival, a Scrying Pool, a Festival, a Spice Merchant, a Fortune Teller, an Inn, a Scrying Pool, a Festival, a Festival, a Fortune Teller, a Scrying Pool, and a Province.
   ... GendoIkari discards 2 Fortune Tellers, 3 Scrying Pools, an Inn, a Spice Merchant, and 6 Festivals.

Why did you shuffle the Spice Merchant in?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »
+1

goshen plays a Governor.
   ... getting +1 action.
   ... getting +$2.

That was your takeaway?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 08:55:43 pm »
+1

The beauty of that play is that trashing Potion -> Inn from an opponent's play of Governor was also an excellent "counter."

paddyodoors

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 09:16:29 am »

That was your takeaway?

He's a detail-oriented gent.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +769
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 10:13:47 am »

Him: village -> followers -> masquerade (passes an estate) -> buy province
Me: discard colonies, pass a gold. My turn forge plat + estate -> colony.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +769
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 10:41:58 am »
+3

Another fun one:
Him -> Ghost ship
Me -> Place two colonies back on deck. KC -> Trade route. Crunch a great hall for 18 coin - buy nobles + colony.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 11:24:44 am »

There are some great examples here. Mine pales in comparison, but it's the only one I can remember right now (I think last night was the first time we played Dominion in over a month).

Her: Played Bureaucrat
Me: Put Tunnel on top of deck; played Venture.

Though, that was a happy coincidence, since I had a Tunnel/Venture deck planned from the beginning.

Okay, I do remember one counter that was also extremely lucky.

Her: Bought Torturer in first two turns with no obvious trashers or defenses on the board.
Me: Pulled Ambassador out of Black Market on turn 3.

None of these responses are as cool as, "That's what she said."
A man has no signature

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »

Opponent:  Plays Throne Room-Torturer.
Me:  Discards two Estates and two Provinces; plays Library.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 06:13:08 pm »

More mild one using Spy…
Opponent plays spy and lets you keep a province. You play a village and then a tournament that you got from the black market deck.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Kenuru

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 07:10:14 pm »
+1

To all the Fortune Tellers, Scrying Pools, Rabbles, and Spies in the world,
Native Village says, "Hi."

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:01 pm »

Seahags and Oracles too?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.