Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Drew my Warehouse on turn 2  (Read 2813 times)

BaruMonkey

• Bishop
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Drew my Warehouse on turn 2
« on: April 18, 2012, 03:39:48 pm »

Turn 1) Draw CCCEE, Buy Warehouse
Turn 2) Draw CCCEWarehouse, play Warehouse
...?
Profit!

EDIT: I'm a silly person and should have seen the answer. Thanks Kuildeous.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:54:56 pm by BaruMonkey »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Bug report: Drew my Warehouse on turn 2
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:42:33 pm »
+2

Your opponent bought a Noble Brigand, allowing you to shuffle sooner.
A man has no signature

BaruMonkey

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:43:41 pm »

Side question: Is there a strategy on this board better than BMU and a few Warehouses and 1 torturer? That's what I won with, but it's so... boring.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:45:52 pm »
+1

Side question: Is there a strategy on this board better than BMU and a few Warehouses and 1 torturer? That's what I won with, but it's so... boring.
Yes. Spam noble brigands beats the strat you describe, for one.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 03:47:46 pm »
+1

personally i would go gardens on that board.  talisman and explorer are both nice support, and garden strategies really don't care about a single torturer. you can throw in a few noble brigands for the garden player if the other player goes too hard on a BM strat to slow them down.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 03:51:11 pm »

Talisman+Gardens might be nice.  NB can also steal some cards to power up Gardens.  If your opponent goes heavy NB, he could end up giving you more Copper for Gardens as well.

BaruMonkey

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »

Neat, thanks. I see how the NB would beat it -- I guess I just have that glued into my head as a bad card still.

I don't get the Gardens path, though, especially how Tali and Expl would help it. Don't (the better) Garden strats try to 3-pile quickly instead of deck-bloating?

*sigh*, I have so much to learn. Anyone else have the experience of "I am a god at this game!" in real life, and then "I know so little about this game" on Iso?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 03:54:36 pm »
+2

Neat, thanks. I see how the NB would beat it -- I guess I just have that glued into my head as a bad card still.

I don't get the Gardens path, though, especially how Tali and Expl would help it. Don't (the better) Garden strats try to 3-pile quickly instead of deck-bloating?

You want to 3-pile quickly and pick up a good amount of extra cards. Talisman helps you do both. You can buy a Talisman and gain another one, and so on, until you have tons of Talismans. So you could have a 3-pile with Gardens, Talismans, and Estates or Warehouses or something. And hey, lots of Talismans would be nice against a Noble Brigand opponent, because it's a treasure he can't steal.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +598
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 04:01:51 pm »

I'd try a Gardens rush using Talisman/Warehouse/Watchtower.  They're all $4 and under, so you can acquire multiples at a clip.  Warehouse sifts but decreases handsize; Watchtower mitigates that by drawing back up to 6.  Should be fairly straightforward to have at least $4 per hand every turn even with a fat deck.  The big question will be when to start hitting the Gardens (with no +buy, you can only get one a turn), but once you've done so you can probably 3-pile very quickly on Gardens/Talisman/Warehouse.  (Explorer would help, sure, but I don't see why a Gardens-rush strategy ever needs to get to $5 per hand on this board.)

It's almost a shame Gardens is on the board, as Highway shenanigans with Talisman/Farmland looks really interesting.  But it's probably just not fast enough to beat a Talisman-fueled Gardens rush.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2859
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 04:03:25 pm »

*sigh*, I have so much to learn. Anyone else have the experience of "I am a god at this game!" in real life, and then "I know so little about this game" on Iso?

This is somewhat off topic, but has anyone had success with a Gardens deck that stalls out the game, similar to Duke/Duchy?

You'd probably need a deck that can at least maintain some economy for Duchies as well, and I don't know how it stacks up when some of the Gardens get blocked. Duke/Duchy has the advantage of 2 victory cards the opponent would have to contest vs 1 for Gardens. So contesting Duke/Duchy often ends badly if you don't prepare for it, whereas contesting Gardens might not.

Thoughts?
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
Re: Drew my Warehouse on turn 2
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:14:43 pm »

garden strategies don't have to rush.  they are more about controlling when the game ends.  sometimes this means rushing, sometimes it means stalling the other player out. that is, give them no help with provinces, attack their deck, block key cards, etc.  generally you want them on the back foot, trying to adapt to your strategy and abandoning theirs.

a few explorers and talismans can bloat your deck real fast and give you decent buying power for the gardens and duchies.  warehouse/torturer doesn't strike me as being particularly fast for 8 provinces, especially if a noble brigand can swipe a few silver and gold. 
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.761 seconds with 20 queries.