Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rising Sun pre-orders available, also more info!  (Read 2380 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Rising Sun pre-orders available, also more info!
« on: April 10, 2024, 12:25:34 pm »
+9

https://store.401games.ca/products/dominion-2nd-edition-rising-sun

Across the sea, they have so much stuff. And it‘s so much better than your stuff. Finer craftsmanship. Better quality materials. Shinier. They have crowns, tiaras, and diadems - and that‘s just the hats. It‘s time to get some of that stuff. You want an easy life, and you‘re prepared to work hard for it. So you‘ve rounded up some old salty dogs, plus a sourpuss and a bitter goldfish. And set sail. The sea is a harsh mistress, but a good cook, at least if you like everything really salty. There are red skies tonight, so they‘ll be making a batch of Sailor‘s Delight, which you understand to have tuna fish in it. And soon you‘ll be attacking merchant ships and taking their treasure. But the real treasure is the happy memories you‘ll be making.

This is the 16th expansion to Dominion. It has 300 cards, with 25 new Kingdom card piles. There are Shadow cards that leap out from your deck, and Prophecies that will someday happen and change everything. Debt and Events return.

It appears that they got the blurb from Plunder instead... but the bottom part sounds like Rising Sun. Debt is back!

*Edit* Hmm, is this an early leak/spoiler?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 12:30:10 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: Rising Sun pre-orders available, also more info!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 12:51:49 pm »
+1

The cover art seems to confirm that it is indeed Japanese themed, which should be interesting. Prophecies sound like a new kingdom landscape; maybe some condition has to be met and then they change something for all players?

Nukatha

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 01:29:30 pm »
+1

New events and the return of any one-off mechanic other than Potions is always welcome to me.
I'm hoping for more $+debt cards like Fortune, it could be fun to Remodel Engineer into a 4 debt+$2 value card.
"Shadow" though? Is full deck searching to grab cards now a thing? Different backs like Stash to make finding them easier?
25 kingdom piles is already 275 cards minimum. Previous Event sets have had 13-20. I expect there's one 1-count Victory card, so lets say 277 Kingdom cards. If Prophecies are Environment-style cards, I'd guess that 10-13 are those, with the Events rounding out the stack with 10-13 of them. If Prophecies are mini-game-like action/treasure cards (akin to Magic Lamp, Haunted Mirror, or Leprechaun) then they would already be accounted fors. They might be mini-game events (or Event-likes) akin to Windfall. I look forward to previews, and hope for a hype trickle, unlike everything dropping at once in the Cornucopia/Guilds rulebook.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 01:31:04 pm by Nukatha »

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +448
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 02:53:39 pm »
+3

Shadow cards that leap out from your deck
Finally, Dominion the pop-up book.

Melon

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Melonpop
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 03:18:21 pm »
+3

New events and the return of any one-off mechanic other than Potions is always welcome to me.
Honestly the only reason potions are bad is because there arent enough things that utilize them imo (but of course that couldn't happen unless alchemy specifically gets a 2e)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 04:02:55 pm »
+1

Honestly the only reason potions are bad is because there arent enough things that utilize them imo (but of course that couldn't happen unless alchemy specifically gets a 2e)

The thing is, even if there were 50 cards that had a potion cost, the majority of games that used potions would still only have a single Potion-cost card (no I didn't do the math on that). And then you still have the same problem where you have to add a dead card in your deck just to pick up some copies of the card you want.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 05:28:21 pm »
+1

I’ve thought for a while that Potion would be a bit better if it came with +Buy. Makes the Potion more interesting if you wanted the Alchemy card but couldn’t trash the Potion, and also opens up the edge cases where even if you don’t care about the Alchemy card, you might be desperate enough for +Buy to purchase the Potion anyways.

Looking forward to Shadow cards. Maybe they shuffle face-up and play themselves automatically?

More debt is interesting. Wonder if they’ll expand in a new direction entirely or if they’ll be more vanilla-leaning.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1350
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 01:18:00 am »

I’ve thought for a while that Potion would be a bit better if it came with +Buy. Makes the Potion more interesting if you wanted the Alchemy card but couldn’t trash the Potion, and also opens up the edge cases where even if you don’t care about the Alchemy card, you might be desperate enough for +Buy to purchase the Potion anyways.

Looking forward to Shadow cards. Maybe they shuffle face-up and play themselves automatically?

More debt is interesting. Wonder if they’ll expand in a new direction entirely or if they’ll be more vanilla-leaning.

I think a separate back, as with Stash, is more likely. It would be too easy to forget (or intentionally "forget") to put them face-up when shuffling. But I agree that it sounds like they play themselves automatically. So perhaps there's a special back, and when the top card is a Shadow card, and/or when you draw a Shadow card, it automatically plays itself? Cards that play themselves automatically could have some interesting strategic questions, as, depending on what they do, there might be times when you don't want to play them
They/them

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 04:38:03 am »
+1

That leads to idea about Attack card that give out bad Shadow cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 06:07:13 am »
+7

Personally, I think the solution would be to make Potion a one-shot. That would strongly effect gameplay.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 12:02:44 pm »
+4

The solution to potion is clearly to have it trash itself when played. And also to use it to only purchase cards that trash themselves when played.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 12:47:43 pm »
+1

The solution to potion is clearly to have it trash itself when played. And also to use it to only purchase cards that trash themselves when played.

How would that be an improvement? It seems to me that it would make it worse
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 12:54:43 pm »
+1

Either the joke wasn't clear enough, or you aren't familiar with this thread.

Jesster

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024, 01:59:20 pm »

I think a separate back, as with Stash, is more likely. It would be too easy to forget (or intentionally "forget") to put them face-up when shuffling. But I agree that it sounds like they play themselves automatically. So perhaps there's a special back, and when the top card is a Shadow card, and/or when you draw a Shadow card, it automatically plays itself? Cards that play themselves automatically could have some interesting strategic questions, as, depending on what they do, there might be times when you don't want to play them

I was thinking similar that they might just automatically go into play when drawn no matter how/when they are drawn.  If this were the case, you wouldn't need a special back to the card.  You wouldn't know when one was going to come out until you drew it.  I could see that as being described as "leaping out of your deck" ...and into play.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2024, 02:34:08 pm »
+1

I was thinking similar that they might just automatically go into play when drawn no matter how/when they are drawn.  If this were the case, you wouldn't need a special back to the card.  You wouldn't know when one was going to come out until you drew it.  I could see that as being described as "leaping out of your deck" ...and into play.

This would require players to both be honest, and to always notice a card as they draw it.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2024, 11:20:51 pm »

This would require players to both be honest, and to always notice a card as they draw it.

Yeah, and Dominion already has a long history of requiring verification for cards with special conditions, as with Shanty Town requiring you to reveal your hand, or Cutpurse having "or reveals a hand with no Copper". It would be weird at this point to have a whole new type of card being on the honor system so to speak
They/them

Jesster

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2024, 09:24:50 am »

Yeah, and Dominion already has a long history of requiring verification for cards with special conditions, as with Shanty Town requiring you to reveal your hand, or Cutpurse having "or reveals a hand with no Copper". It would be weird at this point to have a whole new type of card being on the honor system so to speak

True, but if they were a special color to remind you to play them, and they were almost always cards you wanted to play I don't think the "honor system" would be an issue.  It would be more of a detriment to you if you didn't play them rather than your opponent.  I'm just really skeptical of the alternate back hypothesis, I got the impression from discussions about Stash that that wasn't something Donald wanted to do again.

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2024, 11:01:30 am »
+3

Prophecies could be alternate win conditions. Or rule changes that take effect when something happens.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2024, 02:47:51 pm »

True, but if they were a special color to remind you to play them, and they were almost always cards you wanted to play I don't think the "honor system" would be an issue.  It would be more of a detriment to you if you didn't play them rather than your opponent.  I'm just really skeptical of the alternate back hypothesis, I got the impression from discussions about Stash that that wasn't something Donald wanted to do again.

If they were "almost always cards you wanted to play" then you wouldn't need a special type for them
They/them

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +422
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2024, 05:56:53 pm »

I lowkey hoped/expected to see an expansion to the Night mechanic. Seems like this won't be the case. Oh well. Cool to see the Debt mechanic returning. Also cool that there is enough design space for a 5th wave of events.

And the Prophecies mechanic... man, it's hard to speculate. Could it be an official incarnation to the Edict mechanic? Or is it that at the end of each round, some kind of strange event happens? Or is it that a certain event happens after a meter has been filled, that can be filled by playing certain cards? Jeez, these previews can't come soon enough.

And the Shadow mechanic... it won't be the same as this fan mechanic, right?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 05:59:00 pm by grrgrrgrr »

Death By Dominion

• Swindler
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2024, 06:50:34 pm »
+1

And the Shadow mechanic... it won't be the same as this fan mechanic, right?
I highly doubt it. It seems a little clunky for an official dominion feature. Also I would not describe it as “flying out of your deck”.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 08:32:53 pm »
+2

If they fly out of your deck, obviously they must have wings.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2024, 09:14:18 pm »
+2

With the overall theme, I'm guessing one of the Shadow cards will be named Ninja.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 09:47:28 pm »
+3

Card name predictions: Ninja (as above), Monk, Shrine, Samurai

I don't know how accurate these would be in medieval times.

Oh, and a Prophecy: Scout Is Great Again

Nukatha

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2024, 11:10:09 pm »
+3

Card name predictions: Ninja (as above), Monk, Shrine, Samurai

I don't know how accurate these would be in medieval times.

Oh, and a Prophecy: Scout Is Great Again
Samurai are late 1100s-1800s, and Renaissance is ~14-1500s.
Ninjas enter the historical records in 1400s.
Dominion straddles a very wide range of dates. Empires themed to the Roman Empire is nearer to the birth of Christ, but, again, Renaissance is 15/16th century.
Ninjas and Samurai fit alright.

Heck, the Piratey cards of Plunder and Seaside point to the golden age of piracy, circa 1700, and Schwerin Cathedral, featured on Church, was finished in 1893.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:17:12 pm by Nukatha »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.