Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #216: Blue Dogs  (Read 1870 times)

Zoyarox

• Steward
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #216: Blue Dogs
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2024, 11:16:48 am »

Hunting Dog
$4 Action - Reaction
Reveal the top two cards of your deck and put any number of them into your hand.
-
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word “reveal”), you may play it.

Priced at $4 as it synergizing with itself and there are a good amount of instances that cause one to reveal their hand and thus, by accident, this too.

I believe you need to say what happens to the cards you don’t put into your hand. “And discard the rest” is simplest and I like the synergy of this card triggering both “reveal” and “discard” reactions. I believe that works better than “put the rest back in any order” for this particular card.

I also think this is a little on the strong side, though I don’t know how to change it, so it might just be strong. I’m basing this on how easy/often I get cultist chains running— at $4 it’s a lot easier to do so. It might just be good being a stronger $4

You are correct, it's definitely a stronger $4!

I'd be worried for it to be too strong, if it allows to discard by choice too. Happy to get more opinions on this!

In regards to it as-is needing to specify what happens to them: Generally no (e.g. see Piazza and Wishing Well), but as this reveals 2 cards, I believe it should indeed, given all other cards revealing more than one and giving you a choice do tell you what to do with the rest.

I will adjust this in the next version; as I said I'd appreciate further feedback regarding the option to discard the ones not put into hand.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:21:42 am by Zoyarox »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +538
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2024, 12:07:35 pm »

Hunting Dog
$4 Action - Reaction
Reveal the top two cards of your deck and put any number of them into your hand.
-
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word “reveal”), you may play it.

Priced at $4 as it synergizing with itself and there are a good amount of instances that cause one to reveal their hand and thus, by accident, this too.

I believe you need to say what happens to the cards you don’t put into your hand. “And discard the rest” is simplest and I like the synergy of this card triggering both “reveal” and “discard” reactions. I believe that works better than “put the rest back in any order” for this particular card.

I also think this is a little on the strong side, though I don’t know how to change it, so it might just be strong. I’m basing this on how easy/often I get cultist chains running— at $4 it’s a lot easier to do so. It might just be good being a stronger $4

You are correct, it's definitely a stronger $4!

I'd be worried for it to be too strong, if it allows to discard by choice too. Happy to get more opinions on this!

In regards to it as-is needing to specify what happens to them: Generally no (e.g. see Piazza and Wishing Well), but as this reveals 2 cards, I believe it should indeed, given all other cards revealing more than one and giving you a choice do tell you what to do with the rest.

I will adjust this in the next version; as I said I'd appreciate further feedback regarding the option to discard the ones not put into hand.

Both the cards you refer to only reveal one card, thus they don’t have to specify “put the rest back in any order.” The only order for 1 card is the same as it was before.

Cards that can reveal multiple have to specify — is it the same order they were originally in (no dominion card does that) or is it any order you choose?

In general, putting the cards back is a stronger option with drawing because, unless you have a draw-to-x engine (which is an anti synergy with this card anyway), drawing is equivalent to discarding; however, putting back on top allows you to save cards for future turn, or prevent terminal drawing dead. The additional flexibility would make this stronger overall.

So, for your card, in most cases “discard the rest”
 is actually weaker than “put back in any order.”

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2024, 01:52:02 pm »

A dog? a cat? no, its an hyena!

[/quote]
Decided on which version of the card to go with.

That, and i improved the syntax and spelling a bit
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2024, 08:35:21 pm »
+6

Cwn Annwn
$3 - Action - Attack - Reaction
+2 Cards
You may trash this. If you did, each other player gains a Curse.
-
Immediately after you have played a card with two or more types, you may play this from your hand.

(ref)

Cultist chaining with single shot cursing - choose the best moment to apply it

« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 08:38:34 pm by grep »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2024, 05:29:34 am »

Sir Pounce - $4
Action/Reaction/Liaison

+2 Cards
+1 Favor
-
When you spend a token, if you have more differently named cards in play than Sir Pounces, you may play this from your hand.

Favors are pretty good, so this card gets a bit of a limitation to avoid the sort of chain reactions that are frequent with Sheepdog and Black Cat.
Some Allies will make this tough to trigger, but maybe there's some other type of token around that you could spend?

Shouldnt this have “reveal your hand” because you can lie about how many sir pounces you have in hand?

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2024, 06:19:15 am »

Sir Pounce - $4
Action/Reaction/Liaison

+2 Cards
+1 Favor
-
When you spend a token, if you have more differently named cards in play than Sir Pounces, you may play this from your hand.

Favors are pretty good, so this card gets a bit of a limitation to avoid the sort of chain reactions that are frequent with Sheepdog and Black Cat.
Some Allies will make this tough to trigger, but maybe there's some other type of token around that you could spend?

Shouldnt this have “reveal your hand” because you can lie about how many sir pounces you have in hand?

I guess the intention is to compare with number of Sir Pounces in play, but the wording is really weird. It sounds like to compare cards in my play with cards in Sir Pounces' play.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2024, 09:41:16 am »
+5

I think this is too easy to trigger. There are so many engines where one component just naturally has two types (anything with fishing village for example, or anything with wharf, or rabble). I feel like this is just a weakly disguised lab, and then there's the Curse thing on top of it.

stars

• Pawn
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2024, 11:37:43 am »
+5

Golden Retriever
$2 Action - Reaction
+2 Cards
-
When any player gains a Reaction card, you may play this from your hand.

Please give advice! This is my second submission so I'm still getting used to card making.

Melon

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Melonpop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2024, 12:38:42 pm »
+3

Golden Retriever
$2 Action - Reaction
+2 Cards
-
When any player gains a Reaction card, you may play this from your hand.
I like this, but it feels a note too similar to Sheepdog in my opinion.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1447
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2024, 03:34:41 pm »

It feels like Sheepdog and Stowaway had a love child but gave them their worst genes.

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2024, 11:25:32 pm »
+9

It feels like Sheepdog and Stowaway had a love child but gave them their worst genes.

There's a nicer, more helpful way to say this.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2024, 02:52:57 am »
+1

I am not huge fan of getting told how to actually write or talk. That is far more obnoxious and rude than me making the point that a card idea already exists, implemented in two cards that are stronger.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2024, 05:17:48 am »
+2

Hamlet is implementing an idea that was already implemented by Worker's Village, which is stronger than it.

I think the card is an interesting way of getting some of the fun of both cards onto the one card at a lower price point, which does unlock some interesting interactions (e.g. you can remodel a Copper into a GR), though not quite as many as, say, turning a $5 into a $4. Plus being both cards at once (like a "Now or at the start of your next turn" Stowaway) is pretty neat. However it would be more interesting if it there were some things it could do that neither of those cards could.  The bottom is simple enough that you could make the top different.

Note: I also named my card Golden Retriever and am retaining the name as my card interacts with Gold, but I have no issue with other cards of the same name in the same contest (though it's up to the judge)

stars

• Pawn
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2024, 09:51:15 am »
+1

Note: I also named my card Golden Retriever and am retaining the name as my card interacts with Gold, but I have no issue with other cards of the same name in the same contest (though it's up to the judge)
I'm sorry, I barely know any dog breeds. I hope it's okay with you if I keep it rather than make a new card mockup.

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2024, 09:52:44 am »
+3

Hamlet is implementing an idea that was already implemented by Worker's Village, which is stronger than it.

I think the card is an interesting way of getting some of the fun of both cards onto the one card at a lower price point, which does unlock some interesting interactions (e.g. you can remodel a Copper into a GR), though not quite as many as, say, turning a $5 into a $4. Plus being both cards at once (like a "Now or at the start of your next turn" Stowaway) is pretty neat. However it would be more interesting if it there were some things it could do that neither of those cards could.  The bottom is simple enough that you could make the top different.

Cards with the same name are fine. It was bound to happen in a contest like this.

I am not huge fan of getting told how to actually write or talk. That is far more obnoxious and rude than me making the point that a card idea already exists, implemented in two cards that are stronger.
"[That] card idea already exists, implemented in two cards that are stronger" is not what you said. If you had said that, I wouldn't have said anything.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 09:57:45 am by Tiago »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2024, 10:17:23 am »

That means literally the same thing as my actual post. If you feel offended by non-technical language, so be it.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +422
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2024, 11:48:19 am »
+2

This may seem weird, but I really wanted the below-of-the-line not to be part of the on play ability.
Assisting Dog (Action - Reaction, $4)
+2 Cards
-
When you play an Action card, you may put this into play to replace all occurances of 2/two by 3, 3/three by 4, etc. in that card's instructions.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 12:32:15 pm by grrgrrgrr »

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +401
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2024, 12:27:32 pm »
+3

This is inspired by Gubump's Granary. Don't @ me if it's not 100% original.

Farm Hound(v2)

Fixed! Thanks to silverspawn for pointing out that draw-to-x is broken.

Farm Hound(v1) [This is the previous, withdrawn version.]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 07:58:09 pm by kru5h »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +538
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2024, 12:59:15 pm »
+4

This is the updated version of my submission

Junk Dog | Action - Reaction - Looter
+2 Cards
You may gain and play a Ruins.
-
When anyone trashes a card costing $0, you may play this from your hand.

Using silverspawn's suggested wording "gain and play" and also giving it the looter type since it needs to have the Ruins in the Supply.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 01:02:54 pm by anordinaryman »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2024, 06:25:27 pm »
+1

This is inspired by Gubump's Granary. Don't @ me if it's not 100% original.

Farm Hound

This triggers on itself. Which is maybe okay but if nothing else will be timely to resolve when you have draw to x

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2024, 07:13:36 pm »

This may seem weird, but I really wanted the below-of-the-line not to be part of the on play ability.
Assisting Dog (Action - Reaction, $4)
+2 Cards
-
When you play an Action card, you may put this into play to replace all occurances of 2/two by 3, 3/three by 4, etc. in that card's instructions.

I dont understand what "plan" refers to?
the event with the tokens?

Melon

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Melonpop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2024, 07:15:55 pm »
+1

i think it's supposed to say "play"

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2024, 07:29:52 pm »

24-hour Warning

Check the original post to see if I got the latest version of your submission.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2024, 01:12:47 am »

That means literally the same thing as my actual post. If you feel offended by non-technical language, so be it.
It feels like ErrinF and tristan had a love child but gave them their worst genes.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2024, 09:57:04 am »

wait I thought segura is the same person as tristan? I distinctly remember someone saying this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.