Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #211: Not Your Ordinary Village  (Read 2800 times)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #211: Not Your Ordinary Village
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2024, 04:59:17 pm »
+1

You might want to make it a command card and restrict it to playing non-command cards or something.
Otherwise there are some infinite loops.

petamatt

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2024, 07:08:48 pm »

Good point, thanks

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2024, 10:22:32 am »

There’s still a lot of activity and I’m busy tonight, so here’s your

24 hour warning

If you haven’t submitted yet, there’s still time.  And have submitted, please check that your entry is listed in the OP.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2024, 01:21:13 pm »
+1

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +153
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2024, 06:18:43 pm »
+2

Hire
Event - $1
Once per turn: +1 Action, and return to your action phase.
Who trashes the trashers?

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2024, 09:17:14 am »
+1

Esplanade
$5 - Action - Command
This turn cards cost $1 less.
Play a non-Command Action or Treasure card costing up to $2 from the Supply, leaving it there.
You may play another Esplanade from hand.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 09:33:48 am by grep »

Cutepelican126

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: rhinolardo
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2024, 10:20:08 am »

SignError

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2024, 04:52:38 pm »

Contest Closed

I’ll do judging over the next few days.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2024, 05:19:22 pm »

Does “play it twice” refer to the action card or the treasure card you set aside?
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2024, 05:29:55 pm »

Yes

Cutepelican126

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: rhinolardo
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2024, 06:59:10 pm »

Itself

SignError

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2024, 11:23:06 pm »
+4

Sorry this is taking a while.  There were a lot of entries this time around, but I've narrowed things down to the finalists.

Cohort by Doom_Shark

I agree with the assessment that the first version was strong.  Putting junk back onto the deck is a good solution.  I'd also probably remove the empty supply pile part for simplicity and to make it even weaker.  It's great if you can remove the junk from your deck, and greening hurts a lot, so you probably want to work up to a megaturn or two.

Copy Editing: Courier uses "Action or Treasure." so simply "Actions or Treasures" works here. Fortune Hunter uses "from them."  Golem says "play the Action cards in either order," while the more recent Prepare says "play those Actions and Treasures in any order," so something like that would be appropriate here too.

Untitled action by fika monster

It's kind of like a card form of Toil, which is neat.  It could also be classified as a Peddler variant; you can spend $2 of what you just made to get your action back.  But if you don't need the +Action, or if you have village support, having the option to just keep the terminal gold non-stop card makes it too good when compared to the other $5 peddlers. As is, it should probably cost $6, but I agree at that cost it is awkward to get a lot of them.  Or make it $4 and only provide $2?  I don't know for sure.

Copy Editing: Saying "instead of spending an action, you may instead..." makes it seem like you have to have a remaining Action to pay in order to use the effect, so it would be useless without the support of another village.  So assuming that is not the intent, here is a more Domonion-like wording that does something similar (borrowing from Inspiring): "For the rest of this turn, after playing an Action, you may take 2 debt to play an Action from your hand."

Explosion by Will(ow|iam)

An interesting event in line with Seize the Day and Journey, and Launch.  You want to get this one when you have enough good cards in your deck/discard to take full advantage of a pseudo- extra turn.  The trouble is that you don't want to have extra payload terminals just for this one turn, and it will be difficult to get extra value out of terminal draw on top of the +10 cards.  Could be useful for setting up duration effects like Mastermind, or just drawing a key card on the right turn.  So this effect isn't really a sustainable village, and just not a great fit for this contest.

Social Climber by faust (Finalist)

This one is super interesting.  Like First Mate it can play many cards, but this time they're all different.  It also lacks First Mate's draw, making it significantly weaker. The low cost is functional; with it you will be able to start the Action playing chain with almost any other Action.

There's also an interesting rules question here:  What exactly counts as the "last Action card you played?"  And does playing Social Climber even count as played when it first makes that check?  The phrase "last Action" is never found in the Card List, so I'm assuming no official cards make this check, meaning there's no easy official ruling.  Wayfarer uses "the last other card gained this turn" to clarify that it doesn't count itself, so Social Climber could use "other" if it didn't want to count itself. I reviewed the wording, Official FAQ, and other rules clarifications for Conspirator, Harbor Village, Kiln, Landing Party, Inspiring, and Scepter.  Scepter's Other rules clarifications gave the most insight:  "Scepter can replay an Action that isn't finished resolving, such as a Storyteller that played Scepter in the first place." So by extension, that means Social Climber can count itself on initial play.  For exotic stuff, like Social Climber plays Conclave which plays Hamlet then Hamlet finishes playing then Conclave finishes playing, we don't have a super nice example for what the "last" card played was, but I'm going to assume it's "the last card that entered play," which in this case would be the Hamlet.

There was some discussion about it being strong or weak, but I think it's good as is. It's really just a fancy Necropolis, but there are times you would buy even an ordinary Necropolis for $1.  And you'll also want multiples making it reasonably likely you get a copy in your starting hand.  The suggestion of using "This is gained onto your deck" helps make it more reliable and usable, but for simplicity I'm fine with it as is.

Copy Editing: No cards use "do this any number of times," although Remake uses "Do this twice."  It's fine as is, but I think I prefer "Repeat as desired" found on Cave Dwellers etc.  I don't think "this turn" is needed here.

Lute by 4est (Finalist)

A nice, simple submission that fits well in the Dominion theme. It kind of reminds me of Night Festival from a few contests ago.  This is simpler by not visiting the Night Phase.  But didn't we say that that playing 2 Actions was too strong?  The difference here is $1 and the +Buy, and that is huge.  Now it's comparable to Coin of the Realm.  While that can be saved for when you need it and keeps you in your Action phase, this can be used every turn instead of usually only every other turn.  So I think this is fine at $3.

Lawless Village by LibraryAdventurer

The reverse village is an interesting idea, but the weak discard attack definitely does not make up for not drawing a card yourself.  The possible bonus to the opponent isn't helping things.  The villagers may help to make up for it, but at the end of the day, this is still a stop-card that just lets you start your turn with terminals later in the game.  Villagers also isn't really all that unusual of a way to play lots of terminals.  Instead, I kind of want this to be Reaction like Clerk that lets you play it from your hand after playing an Action on some condition, maybe having 0 Actions remaining.  So instead of the normal Village+Smith combo where you play Village and then Smithy, with this you have to play Smithy first and then Lawless Village, doubling down on how it's like a reverse village.

Copy Editing: It needs something like Villain's "(or reveals they can't)."

Helper by Zoyarox

Really this is a non-Potion Golem that only plays one card but gives you +1 Action.  I agree that it's far too expensive, but even then it's difficult to place a price on it. Aside from Golem's potion price, the fact that Golem does nothing once all your Actions are in your hand, and it playing random Actions, are both major downsides over the comparable Lost City.  That is somewhat alleviated with Helper thanks to the innate +1 Action, and having the choice of 2 Actions to play.  A cost of $4 is probably fine.  It's weird that it names another Action that will most likely not be in the kingdom.  Sure Helper+Golem would be busted, but there are lots of busted 2-card combos in Dominion.

Carnival by BryGuy

Fun fact, we now have an official card named Carnival, but it's all good.  This has some of the same rules considerations that I discussed in the Social Climber entry.  The way I see it, Carnival's effect happens by the time it is done playing.  There are even hints to an alternate Priest wording in the retrospective which would have worked just like this. But because the Action playing applies to this too, it is essentially a double Laboratory where you can only follow it up with a card costing $4 or less, which should be that difficult to achieve.  That's way too powerful, and we haven't even touched on the stacking effect by playing more than 1 copy.

Ballroom by n_sanity

An easy comparison can be made to Border Village  The only downside I can see is that you can't gain Duchies or Treasures with this. Meanwhile, Throne Room costs more than Village even before the Night shenanigans.  That said, once the card is that expensive, the difference between $6 and $7 isn't that crucial.  In the end, this really just Thrones Actions normally.  There's the option to use it at Night, but I see more use happening in the day, so it isn't a great fit for this contest.

Midas Touch by NoMoreFun (Finalist)

A Worker's Village with something extra for the same cost; how can that be right?  Well, just like in the ancient legend, that blessing can quickly become a curse.  It will be difficult for this to make it as the only village, although it's still possible.  Instead Midas Touch is best used in kingdoms with other sources of +Actions.  In a deck with only cantrips, a Midas Touch played toward the end of the cantrip train is effectively +1 Card, +$2, +1 Buy, which is fair.  Alongside other villages, you can play the village idiot, having many redundant villages, but play Midas Touch partway through to start getting the payload you need.

Copy Editing:  The updated wording mirrors Way of the Chameleon fairly well.  It just needs to end the sentence with a period.

Construct by sumrex

It's a lot like the original version of Cohort (see judging above).  Playing and/or drawing the top 3 cards of the deck is way too strong for $5, and that's before you get to the Harbinger effect.

Beaver by petamatt

Getting the effect of a card without actually gaining the card is an interesting concept, but the execution needs work.  The fact that you just discard Beaver instead of playing it opens up the possibility for loops.  An alternative to playing Beaver would be to do what Joust does and set this aside, then discard it during cleanup.  It uses Trader's old "would gain, ... instead" wording, which is "super crazy confusing." And it's not like you can use "Exchange" here to fix things.  The other thing is that I wish the top did something besides being a village, like maybe being a terminal silver.  It's not just for the contest requirements; it would be reasonable to gain a Beaver early on for the Silver effect, and then use the other effect later in the game.

Dragon Pit by silverspawn

Dragon Pit is a double Barracks that also requires Action fodder.  It needs to be limited to once per turn part because Fortress is a thing. But I don't care for the "your first Buy phase each turn" wording because nothing else does that.  I'm also not a fan of entering and the Buy phase only to immediately return.  Maybe it could use wording like Innovation: "Once during each of your turns, after playing an Action card, ..."  But in the end, it's just too close to Barracks to be interesting.

Maid (edited) by D782802859

Regarding the first version, -Actions is a mechanic that feels like it belongs in Dominion.  And a gainer that uses gives -Actions per $ of the card gained is a straightforward application.  But as you figured out, it's difficult to make a card that is not too under-powered or too overpowered.  Gaining $4 cards is just vanilla Workshop; $3 is usually worse than Ironworks or Carpenter, and gaining cards costing $2 or less for the Village effect is usually just bad.  I thought out a few scenarios for re-balancing, including doing a $5-cost gainer, but none of them worked.

The other version assigns a fixed bonus based on card cost.  I feel like this version has better balance.  You can get the Village effect by gaining $3 cards.  There's always Silver, but a Necropolis Silver gainer isn't going to be super effective.  Still, engines can be powerful, so in the absence of other Villages, you take what you can get.  The other issue is that now a fixed +2 Actions is no longer a great fit for this contest.  So you have a better card than your first version, but it's just not as unusual as some of the other entries.

Marina by LTaco (Finalist)

A Plunder "next time" duration that gives Actions based on the cost of the next Action you play.  It uses wording mirroring Bishop.  The closest comparison is Flagship another $4-cost terminal silver next time Duration.  And while Throning seems like it would always be better than a Necropolis-ish, that isn't always the case.  If you use a Smithy at the start of the turn, Flagship draws more cards, but Marina lets you continue your turn.  So I think that Marina is a perfectly reasonable balanced card worth consideration.

Pastoral Village by anordinaryman

Another entry like Snowy Village, where you get a lot of Actions up front and then fewer later on.  This one lets you keep getting +Actions afterward, but every Action played costs more.  I don't really like the spend an extra Action wording though.  Paying more for Action plays is confusing.  You use "When you play an Action card," but it sounds like you need to have the extra Action before you actually play the card, which is a little bit of a contradiction.  The stacking effect also becomes confusing.  For example, I think you messed up the Action count when playing Smithies; it should be -3 per Smithy played; -1 for each Pastoral Village played, along with the ordinary -1 Action from playing a terminal Action.  As an alternative, this is another place that I feel -1 Action could be utilized: "For the rest of this turn, when you play an Action card, you first get -1 Action (you can't go below 0 Actions)."  It borrows wording from Champion and cards with -$, like Souk.  It still stacks, but you are able to play Actions before the -Action penalty goes into effect, and after the -1 Actions are subtracted, any +Actions from the card are still available, so this is more forgiving.  Or an "after playing an Action card, -1 Action" timing could be used to make things a little more restrictive.

Witches Coven by RovingBear

An interesting friendly Curser that turns your Curses into Villages.  It isn't an "in games using this" effect; that would be too good.  Instead you have to keep playing the Witch's Coven.  Because it's a Duration, it's possible to make use of the Curse villages without the help of another Village.  In fact, gaining the Curse onto your deck ensures that you will be able to use the effect.  Just know that all "While this is in play" effects have been removed from the game and turned into "On this turn and your next turn" effects (see Bridge Troll version history).  Turning to power level, I actually kind of think this one is too strong.  It's effectively +$2 this turn and +1 Action +2 Cards next turn.  And that doesn't even factor in that with each play you add another permanent Village to your deck.  Even with the negative points, there are plenty of times I would be fine paying $5 for this.  There's also the issue of what happens when both Charlatan and this are in the Kingdom.

Copy Editing:  Action should be capitalized in the last sentence.  Use lower case for card name and types; the card mock up font will display it in all caps, but the first letters will be a little bit bigger.

Hire by Freddy10

Hire is pretty similar to Launch, Delay, Toil, and March.  It's mostly fine, but I don't really like how it returns you to your Action phase without any way to get your Buy back, unlike Launch, Villa and Cavalry.  That and the fact this is so similar to many other Events makes this a no from me.

Esplanade by grep

This one is pretty interesting.  It reminds me of Inventor, except you are playing cards instead of gaining them.  Because you also get to play another Esplanade, this counts as a Village even when there are no cheap non-terminals. For simplicity, I kind of wish it didn't work with Treasures.  In fact it loops with Scepter if Treasures are allowed because Scepter does not have the Command type.  The power level really depends on what options are available at $3.  Like other sources of Cost Reduction it has the potential to enable a megaturn.  Other cost reducers come with +Action, +Card, or +Buy.  This could have none of those, but it also could have all of them at once if something like Market Square is around, and on top of the Esplanade chaining, that's a little too good.

Copy Editing:  This can use wording like Cultist: "You may play an Esplanade from your hand."

Ancient City by Cutepelican126

I think this is supposed to be like a bigger Landing Party.  The trouble is that discarding a Duration from play doesn't actually cancel the future Duration stuff from happening.  Sure the Lose Track rule kicks in to prevent further setting aside and quadruple play, but the attempts at setting aside a second and duplicated time still happen anyway.  Also, I would prefer that cards with Village effects remain in play as a visual indicator that you have those extra actions.  Throne Room + Horse kind of has this issue, but you still have the solo Throne Room as an indicator.

Copy Editing:  Treasure should be capitalized.  Like Landing Party it needs to address whether the next-time effect happens before or after resolving the Treasure play; for instance with "set this aside afterwards."  That matters if Ancient City is a Treasure due to Capitalism and it's the first card you played on your turn.

I'll try to have the judging of the finalists completed in the next few days.

SignError

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2024, 07:36:22 pm »
+3

Sorry again this took so long, but here are Finalist judgments with in some Kingdoms. Randomly generated with 9 official cards (excluding 1st edition) and up to 2 landscapes.

Kingdom 1

Scheme, Duplicate, Villa, Band of Misfits, Horn of Plenty, Mining Road, Recruiter, Vampire, Farm, Mirror, Basilica

So yeah, this random Kingdom already has a strong source of Villagers, Villa when for more Actions when you need it, next turn setup, and strong payload in Horn of Plenty and maybe Duplicate, although there isn't good draw.  It's going to be difficult for our unusual Villages to compete here.  In fact, if you don't use Duplicate, you don't even need villages.

Social Climber only has 3 Action card costs to work with.  Band of Misfits can loop back to the beginning if you're willing to play it as Scheme.  Plus Scheme helps make sure that it is in your starting hand, so you don't need multiple copies.  Duplicate gaining Golds or Farms to feed to Recruiter gives 6 Villagers, so that probably provides better yield per stop-card.  Social Climber's low cost does mean it could be relevant for a pile-out alongside Villa.

Lute can easily play payload like Duplicate during the Buy phase, but 2 Actions per stop-card isn't very good value here.  Likewise, Marina can only net +1 Action here.  It provides $2, but you would rather be drawing Horn of Plenty than Silver here.

Midas Touch is interesting here, as it can turn Villagers into Coffers.  I still feel that a Horn of Plenty megaturn is better than hoarding Villagers and cashing them out on the final turn.  But maybe you can do a little bit of both.

Kingdom 2

Caravan Guard, Familiar, Conspirator, Ironmonger, Port, Priest, Berserker, Haunted Woods, Wayfarer, Academy, Way of the Mule

I swear these are random.  This time there's Academy, along with Port and a couple of Workshop variants that can gain them.  But there are key terminals like Priest and Haunted Woods that need played.  And importantly, there is no +Buy, so there is a limit of 1 Province per turn.

Social Climber has a chain of 3 concrete card costs, but you might be able to tack in Wayfarer somewhere along the way.  The lack of +Buy is really rough here.  You could use one of the gainers, but I'd probably just gain Ports at that point.

Lute is nice for playing Haunted Woods and Priest, but other villages are better for drawing with Wayfarer and then playing the cantrips.  Although, if you just draw with Haunted Woods, that's not an issue.  Alternatively, you just play without the cantrips.  I think I like a mix of Ports and Lutes most.

Marina can get +3 Actions by playing a Wayfarer at start of turn.  Something I missed during my initial judging; it needs to specify whether the +Actions are given first or after playing the next Action.  That matters here as Wayfarer would cost $3 if after playing it, if you gained the Silver.  I missed it because Flagship doesn't have that specification, but it doesn't need it.  Back to judging Marina's usefulness in the kingdom, between Villagers, Haunted Woods Duration draw, and Port's redundancy, it seems unlikely that Marina's Duration +Actions would be able to save an otherwise dud turn.

Again Midas Touch can convert Villagers to $.  The +Buy is also handy here too, so it will see use for that alone.  Plus, being able to convert redundant Ports into non-stop-card Silvers is really nice.

Kingdom 3

OK, this time I'm going to re-roll all but 1 official village that shows up; I'll keep the most boring village available.  Nothing we've already seen, and no Villagers.

Re-rolled: Capital City, Royal Galley, Merchant Camp, Duplicate

Border Guard, Faithful Hound, Amulet, Village, Armory, Idol, Journeyman, Pendant, Souk, Travelling Fair, Inherited (and let's have your entry be Inherited).

There's some good trashing, and Souk makes nice payload if you can get real thin and build a good engine.  Alternatively Big Money could be nice using Idol, Pendant, and Journeyman.

Social Climber can chain up to 4 Actions, beginning with a Border Guard retained with Horn or a Faithful Hound with it's Reaction.  You'll want to be sure you have one in your starting hand, and Travelling Fair or Armory can achieve that.  Although you probably don't want many redundant copies in your deck, so you'll either just need to trash them, or just stick with Villages.  Plus, you'll want Villages for playing the Souks at the end of turn.

Lute gets to have the simplicity of a Big Money strategy, alongside the power of an Engine.  Early on, use Amulet to thin down.  Pick up some Jouneymen to draw the deck, and eventually pick up Souks.  Best of all, the Souks can be played in your Buy phase, after playing all your other Treasures.

Marina provides the largest Inheritance bonus, but you probably still want to get an Amulet in the opening.  The most it can provide is +2 Actions.  Start of turn +Actions could be helpful here, but with Border Guard it shouldn't be too difficult to find a Village.  Souk appreciates the disappearing payload.

Midas Touch struggles a little to be relevant here.  Your terminal space is better served playing Journeymen and Souks.

Kingdom 4

One last* Kingdom, this time with no other Villages, and still no repeats.

Re-rolled: Journeyman, Travelling Fair, Lackeys, Mining Village, Farm

Patrician, Cargo Ship, Importer, Sheepdog, Bridge, Treasure Map, Pickaxe, Stables, Keep, Worker's Guild.

Loot + Keep game.  Stables, Sheep Dog, and Importer are probably the only Actions worth getting.  Bridge can actively hurt Pickaxe gaining Loot.  Few outside cards could be relevant here.  Re-rolling the kingdom.

Kingdom 5

Re-rolled: Royal Galley, Coin of the Realm, Hideout, Shelters

Lighthouse, Rats, Research, Courtier, Emissary, Graverobber, Jester, Marchland, Soothsayer, Order of Masons

This one is interesting.  All the Kingdom cards have a chance to be useful.  If I use villages, I probably want to score with Graverobber into Province, with some Marchlands use toward the end.  Or just Soothsayer into Emissary Big Money.

Social Climber once again only has 3 card costs it can work with.  The +Buy is also pretty awkward to get early on.  I think I might just stick to no Villages here.

Lute can easily play payload. but it needs to be careful playing Emissary, otherwise there may be too many rats or Research to be playable.

Marina is pretty straightforward +$2 and later +2 Actions here.  Importantly , this is a situation where I think it is better than Flagship, as Courtier is the only non-terminal without negative side effects that you could Throne to keep your turn going.  Although it's still not great, and I question if a no-village strategy might be better.

Midas Touch works here, but it's a little awkward.  It's as nice as any village for playing payload, and the +Buy is appreciated.  But with Emissary you risk drawing a bunch of non-terminals and being unable to play them.

And now the results:

Honorable Mention - Marina by LTaco:

It's just really similar to Flagship, and most of the time Flagship is just better, except where otherwise noted.  Having the +Actions vary with the cost of the card played seemed interesting, but in practice it's usually just +2 Actions.  There is also the timing issue that I missed in my previous judging.

3rd Place - Midas Touch by NoMoreFun:

While technically a village, this card is more about payload.  But usually there should be better or at least more interesting things to use your terminal space on.  The exception we discovered is Villagers, where you can hoard them like Coffers.  But when you need Midas Touch to actually be a Village, it's just a worse Snowy Village, much like the Snow Village from Donald X's Christmas kingdom.

2nd Place - Social Climber by faust (Finalist):

The mechanics are interesting to think about, but in practice it's usually just a Necropolis+, as discussed previously.  The looping shenanigans are fun, but could be overly confusing for average players.  I kind of want it to do something else interesting, but that could mess with the power, and there are already so many words.  It's still a fun entry, and in most kingdoms with a strong possible engine just lacking a village, I would probably try to get this to work.

Winner - Lute by 4est

As I mentioned before, it's simple with a strong Dominion theme.  It feels like it could be a real card.  I've enjoyed the Loot Staff, and it's surprising that there's no Kingdom card that does that, as most of the Loot are modeled after effects done by Kingdom cards or Landscapes.  I've also had some fun games with Inspiring on a Kingdom Treasure as the only villager, and it was usually worth it to make that work.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2024, 09:29:57 am »
+2

Thanks SignError! I'll get the next contest up later today.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2024, 03:55:30 pm »
+1

Congrats to 4est

To implement your suggestions on Lawless Village, how's this?
It triggers itself, but I think it should work okay.
Lawless Village
$4 - Action - Attack - Reaction
+1 Card.
+1 Villager
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards an Action or Treasure. If they discarded an Action, they gain a Treasure to their hand costing less than the discarded Action. If they discarded a Treasure costing at least $3, they get +1 Villager.
-
After any player plays an Attack, you may play this from your hand.

After each fan card contest, I try to usually (eventually) get around to looking at which ones I want to put in my file to maybe print out and use (often after giving them a tweak or two).
I was thinking faust's Social climber might work better as an expensive village going the opposite way, like this:

Social Decadence
$6 - Action
+1 Card.
+$2.
Do this any number of times: Play an Action card from your hand that costs less than the last card you played.
Now the baseline is Bazaar+.

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +251
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2024, 07:17:53 pm »
+2

Carnival • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
For the rest of this turn, directly after you play an Action card, you may play another action card costing less than it.
This alternative village would help play terminals so long as they don't cost too much.

This has some of the same rules considerations that I discussed in the Social Climber entry.  The way I see it, Carnival's effect happens by the time it is done playing.  There are even hints to an alternate Priest wording in the retrospective which would have worked just like this. But because the Action playing applies to this too, it is essentially a double Laboratory where you can only follow it up with a card costing $4 or less, which should be that difficult to achieve.  That's way too powerful, and we haven't even touched on the stacking effect by playing more than 1 copy.

I was thinking faust's Social climber might work better as an expensive village going the opposite way, like this:
Social Decadence
$6 - Action
+1 Card.
+$2.
Do this any number of times: Play an Action card from your hand that costs less than the last card you played.

I mean I do think limiting it to this card's resolution rather than the whole turn is probably cleaner. With +1 Card instead of +3 Cards, it's not a DoubleLab -- Bazaar+ priced at shouldn't ruffle any feathers.
Just wanted to give BryGuy a little cred though ;) Great minds think alike

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2024, 10:18:59 pm »
+1

Carnival • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
For the rest of this turn, directly after you play an Action card, you may play another action card costing less than it.
This alternative village would help play terminals so long as they don't cost too much.

This has some of the same rules considerations that I discussed in the Social Climber entry.  The way I see it, Carnival's effect happens by the time it is done playing.  There are even hints to an alternate Priest wording in the retrospective which would have worked just like this. But because the Action playing applies to this too, it is essentially a double Laboratory where you can only follow it up with a card costing $4 or less, which should be that difficult to achieve.  That's way too powerful, and we haven't even touched on the stacking effect by playing more than 1 copy.

Social Decadence
$6 - Action
+1 Card.
+$2.

I mean I do think limiting it to this card's resolution rather than the whole turn is probably cleaner. With +1 Card instead of +3 Cards, it's not a DoubleLab -- Bazaar+ priced at shouldn't ruffle any feathers.
Just wanted to give BryGuy a little cred though ;) Great minds think alike

I forgot BryGuy's carnival when I made that post. I think a card with that effect costing $5 is a little awkward since the cards you most want to play usually cost $5. That's why I made my version cost $6.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 2.393 seconds with 21 queries.