Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #210: Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot  (Read 2351 times)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #210: Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2024, 03:59:07 am »

Sheepherder - Action, $3
+$2. You may discard any number of Action cards for +$2 each.

Tied to a Way, which I don't think any other submission does here. Unlike my previous entry, this one's short and sweet.

suggestions:

add "discard action cards, revealed."

add "setup: set aside a random 2$ cost action card. This game, Estates are also action cards that can play the set aside card"
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2024, 04:18:54 am »
+1

Like Shepherd, this needs to reveal the discarded cards, since only the top one is public info by default.

OP has been edited, thank you.

suggestions:
add "setup: set aside a random 2$ cost action card. This game, Estates are also action cards that can play the set aside card"

I am going for a simple card based on Way of the Sheep, not Shepherd or WotMouse. Not only would this be a bit too complex, it would easily be the most busted setup instruction in the game.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 04:21:16 am by Augie279 »
they/them

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2024, 09:57:49 am »
+10

False Priest
$5 - Action - Attack

+1 Buy
+$3
Trash a card from your hand. For the rest of this turn, when you trash a card, each other player gains a Curse.
-
Heirloom: Goat

Edit:  added weird ass art.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 10:24:52 am by SignError »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2024, 05:18:41 pm »
+8

In the event that I do end up winning, the runner-up will have to do the judging, as I will be honeymooning for the next two weeks.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2024, 11:13:14 pm »
+3

In the event that I do end up winning, the runner-up will have to do the judging, as I will be honeymooning for the next two weeks.

Congrats!!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2024, 12:30:11 am »
+3

Contest closed. working on judging now.

EDIT: I'll post the results tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 03:08:56 am by LibraryAdventurer »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2024, 03:30:36 am »
+2

Ay nice, i hope you have a great honeymoon!!

Zoyarox

• Steward
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2024, 04:45:26 am »
+3

Lovely, hope you have a great time!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2024, 11:10:54 pm »
+8

Palace Chapel
$3 - Action
Trash up to 3 cards from your hand.
If there were at least 3 different card types among the trashed cards, +$3.
by D782802859
   As someone else said, most of the time this is just a weaker chapel. The bonus needs to either happen more often or be something bigger and/or more unique to make this a worthwhile card imo. 4/10

Drawbridge
$4 Action
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand. This turn, cards (everywhere) cost $1 less.
by 4est
   It looks good (and I disagree with silverspawn -it doesn't look OP to me), but still not particularly exciting. 7/10

Royal Workshop
$5 - Action
Choose one: gain up to two differently-named cards costing up to $4 that you have not yet gained with Royal Workshop this turn; or you may play an action from your hand twice.
by JW
   Seems fine. Sometimes you're be using it almost exclusively for one of its effects over the other, but which effect that is will depend on the board which is cool. 6.5/10

Royal Cellar
$6 - Action
Reveal then discard any number of cards. +1 Card per different cost among the discarded cards.
+$1 per card discarded. Gain a card costing exactly $1 per different type among the discarded cards.
by silverspawn
   I think, to be worth $6, either the gain should be optional, or it should have +1 Action (like Cellar), or (probably) both. As-is, I think it'd be fine at $5. Now it's more like Storeroom than Cellar, but okay. Putting three different kinds of discard-for-benefit on one card is an awkward premise for a card.  6.13/10

Mayday Festival
$4 • Action
+1 Action
+$1
Choose a different thing per Mayday Festival you have in play (counting this): +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1.
by emtzalex
   Looks cool. Get only what you need most from a festival with one of them, or all of a festival with more of them.  7.773/10

Master Carpenter
$5 - Action
Trash a card from your hand. If it's supply pile is empty, gain a card costing up to $3 more than it. Otherwise, +1 Action and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
by LTaco
   Looks good. Remodel with +1 Action is fine at $5. I'm concerned you won't get to use the Expanding ability very often, and that's the most fun & interesting part of the card. I'd like it better if it were just a little easier to use the Expanding part.  7/10

Gold Mine
$5 Action
You may trash 2 coppers from your had. If you trashed 2, gain a gold to your hand.
by Will(ow/iam)
   At first glance, it's a nice fix/mix for Trading Post/Mine. It's great for 2 or 3 plays, but not being able to trash Estates and having to line it up with 2 Coppers each time you use it is a big drawback, and then you have to get more Coppers in order to use it more than 3 times. I'd reccomend saying "You may trash 2 cards from your hand. If you trashed 2 Coppers (or another specification), gain a Gold to your hand." Then it'd make a good replacement for Trading Post. But then we aren't supposed to be making replacement cards here. It's not its own thing enough to want to exist alongside the original cards.  6/10

Drunken Sailor
Action/Duration - $3
+$2
+1 Action
Set aside an Action from your hand (or reveal a hand with none). At the start of your next turn, play it.
by NoMoreFun
   I love the name. Dominion totally needs a Drunken Sailor card. This one is definitely not strictly better than an Action Silver (because it delays one of your Action cards till next turn), and somehow that makes it more interesting & fun? You've accomplished something there. Then again, now that I think about it more, it's remarkably similar to an Action-Contract, only with a way better name and the setting aside an Action is mandatory if possible. It may be more fun than Contract because cheaper and stuff.  7.6843/10

Posologist / Apothecary
2P - Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the Posologists and Silvers into your hand. Put the rest back in any order.
by sumrex
   This does seem very weak when it only works on Silver and other copies of itself. I'm not crazy about the Potion mechanic in general, but if you're going to make a Potion card, you have to make it worth getting a Potion just for that card. This doesn't do that. To make a bigger Apothecary, maybe try something like "Put all revealed Treasures costing up to $4 into your hand" and go from there.  5/10

Global Embargo
$4 - Treasure - Duration
Exile a card costing up to $6 from the Supply.
The next time anyone gains a copy of that card, they gain a Curse, and you discard your exiled card.
by anordinaryman
   Using removed cards for this week could be okay, but this doesn't fix what was unfun about Embargo. And it isn't "Global" either (Swamp Hag is the Global Embargo card). I imagine everyone trying to trash most of their starting junk so they're a little more ready to trash curses before getting Embargoed cards, so you're just as likely to be attacking yourself as other players if you actually want the exiled cards in your deck. The best use of this card is as a gainer for Duchies and kingdom victory cards (or ideally cost-reduced Provinces) that you don't want in your deck anyway, but that's not your intention for the card. 5/10

Devil's Cellar
$5 Night
Look at the top 5 cards of your deck and discard any number of them. If the number of cards you've discarded is: 5, gain a Loot; 0, gain an Imp.
by Zoyarox
   It looks like a decent card, more valuable as a Imp/Loot gainer than as a sifter, but it doesn't come across as a modified version of Cellar (Making a Night card that's more like Cellar than like Night Watchman would be difficult). It's really going to be either an Imp/Loot gainer or an expensive Night Watchman, so I don't know if it accomplishes what you're trying to do with it.  6.248/10

Mischievous Courtier
$4 - Action/Attack
+1 Card
Reveal a non-Victory card from your hand. Choose one or all:
You gain a copy of it; each opponent gains a copy of it; +1 Action per type it has.
by faust
   Nice mix of Jester and Courtier, (I keep having to stop myself from thinking of Courier instead, but that's Donald's fault...) ...and Village? It's either a Village, a (usually Copper) junker, a gainer, or all three at once(!). I think the flexibility makes it pretty strong for $4, but probably not strong enough to cost $5. I'm not sure when you would use the "all" option except when there's only one copy of the card left in the supply, or else you're using Rats with TfB, and your opponent wasn't planning on using Rats. Then again, finding good uses for the "all" option is probably part of the fun of the card. Looks kind of weird, but still fun.  7.651/10

Pirate Souk / Pirate Forge split pile
Pirate Souk
$4 • Action - Reaction
If you have four Action cards in play, including this, +$3; otherwise +1 Buy and +$2.
-
If you have four Action cards in play, you may play this from your Hand.
Pirate Forge
8[debt] - Action
Trash up to three cards from your hand. Gain a card costing up to the total trashed cards' cost in $.
-
While you have this is in play Coppers cost $1.
by Bryguy
   Pirate Souk is significantly stronger than Nomads, seeing as they don't cost an Action to play once you have four Action cards in play. Could be easily fixed by changing the reaction to "If you have _exactly_ four Action cards in play" (the reaction wording still needs to be fixed because it needs a more specific moment to react than whenever you have four action cards in play).
   I like Pirate Forge, partly because I've been trying to get a fan card to work that increases the cost of Copper for the purpose of trash-for-benefit. (When I saw the name, I was thinking it'd be a mix of Pirate and Forge, but the effect is unrelated to Pirate.)
   Usually in a 2-card split pile, the effects of the two cards are related to each other, but these are just two unrelated cards put in the same pile. That said, they could still be fun.  6.5/10

Unseen University
$6 - Project
At the start of your turn, gain an Action card costing up to $5.
by grep
   10/10 for theming. It should probably cost more than $6, and I'm not sure how fun the gameplay would be with it besides just speeding up the game, but the theme is perfect.  7.588/10 overall  Oook!

Royal Mill
8 Debt - Action - Victory
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal and discard three cards. If their combined cost is $8 or more, +$5 and +1 Buy.
-
2VP
by fika monster
   I really like this one. It might get a little crazy once you can activate it semi-reliably. A bit of testing & tweaking could make it even better.   8.5/10

Night Festival
$5 - Night
+$2, +1 Buy.
You may play an action from your hand.
Return to your buy phase.
by RovingBear
   The effect of the card makes me think it should really be a Treasure, not a Night card (Is there a modifier word that can turn Festival into a Treasure?). Then you wouldn't need the phase-switching. Besides that, I really like it. It's hard for me to guess how it would play, but I want to try it out.  8/10

Old Bridge
$4 - Action
+1 Buy
This turn, cards you haven't gained a copy of this turn cost $2 less.
by Gubump
   I like it. Seems easily stronger than Bridge in the early game, but weaker than Bridge later on, especially when buying provinces. Hard to tell if it'll seem weaker or stronger on the whole without playing with it, but I suspect it'll seem stronger a lot of the time which isn't ideal since Bridge is already a strong $4.   7.759/10

Highway Troll
$5 - Action - Duration - Attack
Each other player puts their -1 Card token onto their deck.
On this turn and your next turn, cards cost $1 less.
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Action.
by Cutepelican126
   (The Attack type is missing in your mock up) Like Highway, it's easier to get more of them in play, but it lacks the +Buy it wants to take full advantage of the cost reduction. The attack is stronger than Bridge Troll's, but probably not too strong since it still doesn't stack. +1 Action is generally stronger than +1Buy. Bridge Troll is already a very strong card. When there's any decent source of +Buy, this could be crazy strong. The main problem imo, is that it isn't really different enough from Bridge Troll to be very interesting as its own thing, but I might be wrong about that.  7/10

Sheepherder
$3 - Action
+$2.
You may discard any number of Action cards for +$2 each.
by Augie279   (replacing the too-wordy countess)
   It doesn't quite follow the naming guidelines I gave, but that's not a major problem. I'm flexible. (Even though Sheepherder = Shepherd and this is unrelated to Shepherd. But that's mainly Shepherd's problem because it's unrelated to Way of the Sheep.)
   I like it. Turn your other actions into Silver. There's probably some circumstances that make it too strong. Maybe $4 might be a better cost since there's no risk in double-opening it. Still, it's hard to picture how well it'll actually fit into an engine. (In other words, it's hard to judge it without testing.)  7.8159/10

False Priest
$5 - Action - Attack
+1 Buy
+$3
Trash a card from your hand.
For the rest of this turn, when you trash a card, each other player gains a Curse.
-
Heirloom: Goat
by SignError
   Nice latecomer. This card accomplishes the contest goal better than most, since it has clear parallels to the original Priest card, yet it's different enough to be its own thing. If there's other +buy and trashing on the board, I can see a situation where one player goes for this and runs out of fuel too quickly to badly hurt the other player, since you have to trash at least two cards in a turn in order to give Curses. The attack will work better when the other player(s) are junking you back.  8/10

final ratings and choosing between the top few of these was very difficult, but I'm going with:

Winner: Royal Mill by fika monster

Runners up: False Priest by SignError and Night Festival by Roving Bear
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 03:00:18 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Zoyarox

• Steward
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2024, 05:04:54 pm »
+2

Nice judging; and it was a fun challenge!

Although the contest has concluded, here are some more cards I had come up with:

Remote Wharf
$6 Action - Reserve - Victory
+2 Cards
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this for +2 Cards.
-
Worth 1VP if on your Tavern mat at the end of the game (otherwise worth 0 VP).
(I like the idea but, oh my, two lines.)

Lost Journeyman
$3 Action
Name a card. Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck and put them in your hand. If at least one of them was the card you named, take Lost in the Woods.

Village Sentry
$4 Action
+1 Action
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then if it's face down, look at the top 2 cards of your deck and trash and/or discard any of them, putting the rest back in any order. If it's face up, +2 Actions.

Queen's Jester
$6 Action - Attack
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Treasure or Action. Play it twice. You may have each other player gain a copy of it.

The cards from my previous post:

Young Jester
$2 Action - Attack
+$1
Each other player reveals the top card of their deck. If it's an Action or Treasure costing $3 or more, they discard it, otherwise they put it back.
You may trash this to gain a copy of one of the discarded cards.

Island Bishop
$6 Action
+$2
Put a card from your hand onto your Island mat.
+1 VP per $2 ist costs (round down).

Devil's Cellar
$5 Night
Look at the top 5 cards of your deck and discard any number of them. If the number of cards you've discarded is:
5, gain a Loot.
0, gain an Imp.

Exotic Fairgrounds
$3 Victory
Worth 1 VP per 4 differently named cards you have more copies of than any other player (round down).
-
When you gain or trash this: +1 Villager, +1 Coffers.

Ninja Pirate
$5 Action - Attack - Reaction
At the start of your next turn, gain a Treasure costing up to $6.
If it's not your turn, each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.
-
When another player gains a Treasure, you may play this from your hand.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2024, 06:38:34 pm »
+7

yeah, imo Devil's Cellar is at least a 6.249, but otherwise the results are solid

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2024, 06:26:56 am »
+4

nice, i won!

My life is very hectic RN due to my moms cancer, so i cannot really judge a competition. Could i suggest a theme that the runner up would then judge on? Otherwise, the runner up will make a theme for next week

my idea for a theme next week is
"Hey!! where's the action at!?"
- Make a card shaped object that messes with either action cards, the action phase, or Your +Actions.
Can be positive but should mess with the players head

Snowy Village is a prime example of this idea."

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2024, 11:23:26 am »
+2

Im dming falsepriest to ask if he can judge next competition

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2024, 09:58:06 am »

Signerror hasnt answered the dm, could roving bear do the judgement?

SignError

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2024, 09:59:11 am »

Im dming falsepriest to ask if he can judge next competition

Yeah, I can judge the next contest.  I’ll have it up later today.  It will be something along the lines of what fika monster suggested.

SignError

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2024, 10:03:08 am »

Just saw this.  Roving Bear, if you would rather do it, that’s OK, with me.  Just let us know by the end of the day, or I’ll get things rolling again.

RovingBear

• Scout
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2024, 11:09:12 am »
+1

Just saw this.  Roving Bear, if you would rather do it, that’s OK, with me.  Just let us know by the end of the day, or I’ll get things rolling again.
You go ahead with it, fine by me

SignError

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2024, 12:11:59 pm »
+2

Sounds good.  I’ll have the next contest up soon!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 2.635 seconds with 20 queries.