Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How would you play this constructed kingdom?  (Read 365 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1385
    • View Profile
How would you play this constructed kingdom?
« on: October 09, 2023, 01:24:08 am »

One of the many random places I hang out is the BoardGameGeek Facebook group, and somebody posted this constructed kingdom to it:

Peasant, Gear, Scheme, Walled Village, Tournament, Miser, Scavenger, Margrave, Treasure Trove, King's Court

His strategic advice I leave here without comment.

Scheme and Scavenger are key to maximizing the value of some of these otherwise underutilized cards. Kings Court, if you get to affording that, makes the prize cards way more worth the effort to get them.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
Re: How would you play this constructed kingdom?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 11:04:21 am »

Hmm, alright. I think Treasure Trove is a trap here and I wouldn't play Scavenger but everything else has some value to it. On a 5/2 I'd open Margrave and Peasant. Margrave is just a strong attack that provides good draw and +buy on top of it. Peasant gets you going on your road to Teacher, which could be really good if you end up putting your tokens on Walled Village or Scheme. My next pickup for this line would be Walled Village because of too many terminals. On 3/4 I'd open Gear and Tournament. Gear is there to try and spike lots of money to pick up an early King's Court or Province. That Province will come in handy when you start playing that Tournament, and the Peddler effect in the beginning is just good. My next pickup for this line would probably be Peasant to get that Teacher sooner, and the +buy comes in handy. After that, grabbing Miser for thinning and Schemes to play it more often is probably the way to go. King's Court-Miser is strong. Buy Walled Villages as needed, grab King's Court ASAP. I'd only want one Margrave,  probably, and just use Gear for the rest of my draw power.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
Re: How would you play this constructed kingdom?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 10:30:17 pm »

I win if I can KC a Princess. Trying to do anything else is too slow.

Open Margrave+Nothing, or Gear+Tournament. I want a 2nd tournament, Schemes on $3, Walled Villages on $4, Margraves on $5 and $6, KCs on $7, and Provinces on $8.

Once I hit Province, use Gear or Scheme to line up my Tournament with Province, taking Princess. KC+Scheme means I can topdeck 3 cards, which can be KC+Scheme+Tournament. KC+Princess means Province costs $2, so as long as I have enough draw (rather easy with KC and Margrave around), I can win on the turn I do that.

I can kinda see an alternate strat where you try to rush the peasant line via scavenger, because KC'ing a Disciple or Discipling a KC is really good, but I think that's worse with most shuffles than having a Gear, Walled Villages, and Margraves in the deck.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.