Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: No more torturer for us!  (Read 10693 times)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: No more torturer for us!
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 04:47:38 am »

Hah. It's like he read about the pin, but then realized he had no idea how to actually finish it off from there.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 04:48:49 am »

I completely don't understand the score graph though, what's going on there?

The logs don't report cards getting passed around with Masquerade. So when VP cards that got passed by Masq get trashed, their value gets subtracted from the score of the wrong guy.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:16 am »

I guess I don't know exactly what I'd do either...buy coppers and pass them to your opponent to have them immediately pass them back and trash it? Fifty turns later you can *not* trash the copper, buy another, and then estate the next turn? Then another copper to end it? And that's assuming two piles were already gone... (the same could be done with curses I guess) It seems a lot easier when you have goons...
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 04:52:29 am »

I completely don't understand the score graph though, what's going on there?

The logs don't report cards getting passed around with Masquerade. So when VP cards that got passed by Masq get trashed, their value gets subtracted from the score of the wrong guy.

That makes sense. Masquerade-heavy games are pretty confusing with the logs since it doesn't tell you what's being passed. Never seen a score graph like that, though, good to know.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 04:58:29 am »

Asklepios, I feel your pain. That log is about as depressing as dominion gets. I completely don't understand the score graph though, what's going on there?
CR can not track what happens with Masquerade, as passed cards are not mentioned in the log. So he gets passed a Provinces, trashes it. CR does not know what gets trashed, so it assumes only the Province is trashed, and that it stays at the opponent.
By that, the Masquerade player seems to have -5 Provinces (0 bought and 5 trashed) and the other one 5 (5 bought), while in reality they both have 0 (5 passed to you, 5 trashed) (5 bought, 5 passed away).

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 05:52:28 am »

I guess I don't know exactly what I'd do either...buy coppers and pass them to your opponent to have them immediately pass them back and trash it? Fifty turns later you can *not* trash the copper, buy another, and then estate the next turn? Then another copper to end it? And that's assuming two piles were already gone... (the same could be done with curses I guess) It seems a lot easier when you have goons...

Eh, it doesn't really matter, pick two cheap piles. Embargos are great because they self-trash. Coppers and curses are easy because they're free - they take a lot of turns to empty coppers, but at least the turns are quick because they're so formulaic. There were only four lighthouses left, so that could have worked.

And you don't have to keep the pin going permanently, you have all the cards for it, it can be restarted once every few turns.

I mean, it's ugly and slow, but at least progress towards an endgame is being made.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 09:07:40 am »

I once played a game with half of the pin: only Masq was around, but also KC.
So my opponent took the normal route and bought 4 Provinces.
On the other hand, I distilled my deck to KC-KC-KC-KC-Masq.
By playing all the KCs first and then the Masq, I destroyed his deck.

After a bunch of turns we were in a stale mate, so we both started buying Coppers to get out of it.
A couple of turns later, I had enough for a Remake.  ;)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

RaVeNLoRD

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 09:08:41 am »

I've been on both sides of a constant torturer chains.
Yes it can be annoying (since the games tend to be long as well), but I never rage quit, I try to learn what I did wrong so next game with toturer I can be the one handing out curses.
I had several players calling me names and rage quit when I was the one doing tortures.
An imprtant thing to remember is that taking the curse is often the right move.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 22 queries.