Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: So I made an account cause I couldn't stop having card ideas...  (Read 573 times)

Angle

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
+1

Gonna post them here. They're pretty all over the place, though you may notice some common themes. Probably not gonna organize them into a custom set or anything, but we'll see!

This one is pretty simple - a Treasure that gives you zero money, but that might still be worth buying for the neat side uses. Also a $1 cost, cause I felt Dominion needed more $1 costs.

Edit: Or, I'll post them here once I can get them to actually display. Uploaded one to imgur, but I don't seem to have the code right for it to show up yet.

Edit Edit: Got it!

Tramp

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may play a Victory card from your hand or discard pile. (If it has no active types, such as Action, Treasure, or Night, then it does nothing except remain in play until end of turn.)

$2, Action

Tramping Grounds

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may play an Action card costing $2 or less from your hand or discard pile.
-
2 VP

$5, Action - Victory

Decided I was too lazy to use the fancy card machine right now. Maybe later. Anyway, split pile, here. Two bits work well together, but even better if you can combo them with other stuff. Worried Tramp might be too good in some cases - use it to play a Colony, then use tools/changelings to get a bunch of Colonies... Still, that's a relatively niche combo, and I think it's reasonable otherwise?

Ruined Cellar

Discard up to 2 cards, then draw that many

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Moat

Discard a card, then draw a card.
-
When someone else plays an attack card, you may reveal this and discard it to be unaffected.

$0, Action - Reaction - Ruins

Ruined Moneylender

You may discard a Treasure for $2.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Workshop

You may gain a card costing up to $2.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Chapel

You may trash up to 2 cards from your hand worth $3 or more.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Mine

Trash a Treasure from your hand and pay up to $3. Gain a Treasure worth up to the price of the Treasure you trashed, plus the amount you paid.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Garden

You may put a Victory card from your discard pile into your hand.
-
Worth 1 VP if you have 5 or more ruins in your deck at the end of the game, 0 VP otherwise.

$0, Action - Victory - Ruins

Not sure about Ruined Mine or Ruined Garden, here. Like the ideas in general though, I hope we get to see more ruins some day. Ruined Mine there probably needs to be renamed, too.

Expansive Slums

Gain an action card costing $2 or less to your hand. If you cannot, trash this.

$0, Action - Ruin - Looter

Life Amongst The Ruins

Choose five: Gain a Ruins; Put a Ruins from your discard pile into your hand; Play a Ruins from your hand; Replay a Ruins you have in play; or Trash a Ruins you have in play. You may choose the same option multiple times.

$5, Action - Looter

Probably too much text on Life Amongst The Ruins, there? Not sure the title fits Dominions title theming, either. Neat idea though.

Edit: Think I cut the text down to something halfway reasonable.

Gang of Hooligans

+1 Action
Each other player reveals their hand and discards a Ruins, or gains a Ruins to their hand if they have no Ruins to discard.
$3, Action - Attack - Looter

Another looter. Can be held off if you have Ruins, for a while.

Ruined Throne Room

You may play an action card from your hand costing $2 or less twice.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Laboratory

Reveal the top card of your deck. If it's an action card costing $2 or less, play it.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Festival

You may play up to two action cards costing $2 or less from your hand.

$0, Action - Ruins

More Ruins! These are actually half way decent - maybe only put 5 of each in the Ruins deck, or something.

Urban Evolution

+1 Action
Gain three Ruins to your hand, then return two Ruins from your hand to the Ruins pile.

$2, Action - Looter

Another self looter. Combos with things that trigger when you gain cards, and lets you sort through the ruins deck for ones you actually want, if you're inclined to do that.

Lawless Order

+1 Action
You may rotate the Ruins Pile.
You may gain a ruins.
The next three times you play a Ruins this turn, choose one: +1 Action, or +1 Card.

$2, Action - Looter

If you get enough things that boost the effect of Ruins, they might actually be worth getting! Or, maybe not. Maybe not. XD

Made this a looter, and let it rotate the ruins pile too, because why not.

$4, Central Planning, Project

During your turn, Treasures are Actions in addition to their other types.

$7, Imperial Bureaucracy, Project

During your turn, Treasures are Actions and have "If you played this during your action phase, choose one: +1 Card, or +1 Action" in addition to their other types and text.

A fun Project idea, counterpart to Capitalism. Kinda worried the first version is over powered in combination with Ways though, so, the second version is much more expensive, and has a secondary effect that doesn't work with Ways and is hopefully better balanced with them. Also much less dependent on combos to be useful, in general.

Moneychanger

+1 Buy
Treasure cards cost $1 less until end of turn. (But not less than $0)
You may trash up to three treasures from your hand that each cost more than $0. Gain $ equal to their total $ cost.

$3, Action

It makes treasures cost less - and then it gives you an option that would be great, if it hadn't just made treasures cost less. ;)

Fun combo with Mysterious Token, too. Great for getting the tokens, useless for trashing them.

Kludge

+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, you may gain a card from the trash costing up to $2 more than it.

$3, Action

An upgrade variant... That can't access cards from the supply, only ones from the trash. Awfully strong if you can combine it with a card that has 'on-trash' effects, 'on-gain' effects, or both, but otherwise mostly useful for trashing, or maybe if there are Knights rampaging or something. Might need to make it specify a 'different' or 'differently named' card, so you can't just repeatedly trash your silk merchant and then regain it to farm villagers and coffers. :/

Ruined Bridge

Name a Non-Victory card. That card costs $1 less until end of turn, but not less than $0.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Witch

You may gain a curse. If you do, each other player gains a curse.

$0, Action - Ruins - Attack

Ruined Warehouse

+1 Action
Discard one to three cards.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Hamlet

You may discard a Victory card for +1 Card.
You may discard an Action card for +1 Action.
You may discard a Treasure card for +1 Buy.

$0, Action - Ruins

Sullen Hermit

You may gain an action card costing $2 or less.
You may trash a non-Treasure card costing $3 or more from your discard pile or hand.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Masquerade

Each player with at least one card in their hand sets aside a card face down on this, then shuffle those cards and deal one randomly back to each player who set one aside.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Baron

You may discard an estate for $2.

$0, Action - Ruins

Meandering Ruins

You may play an action card costing $2 or less from your hand or discard pile.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Harvest

Reveal the top two cards of your deck and then discard them. +$1 for each differently named card costing $2 or less revealed.

$0, Action - Ruins

More ruins! At this rate, if you made a set with these, you might be able to make the ruins deck have, like, two or three copies of each or something. That would make things really random when it comes to handing out ruins... But then, they do pretty much all suck, so I don't think it matters a ton?

Edit: If anybody thinks any of these are worth making fancy card pics for, ask and I'll do it. I'm lazy, but not *that* lazy, I'll do stuff if people show interest.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 01:17:19 am by Angle »

Angle

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
Re: So I made an account cause I couldn't stop having card ideas...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 01:48:28 pm »

Okay, I have twenty different ruins now I think! Just need to sort them into ones with three copies, and ones with two copies...

Ruined Cellar

Discard up to 2 cards, then draw that many

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Moat

Discard a card, then draw a card.
-
When someone else plays an attack card, you may reveal this and discard it to be unaffected.

$0, Action - Reaction - Ruins

Ruined Moneylender

You may discard a Treasure for $2.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Mine

Trash a Treasure from your hand and pay up to $3. Gain a Treasure worth up to the price of the Treasure you trashed, plus the amount you paid.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Garden

You may put a Victory card from your discard pile into your hand.
-
Worth 1 VP if you have 5 or more ruins in your deck at the end of the game, 0 VP otherwise.

$0, Action - Victory - Ruins

Ruined Masquerade

Each player with at least one card in their hand sets aside a card face down on this, then shuffle those cards and deal one randomly back to each player who set one aside.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Baron

You may discard an estate for $2.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Warehouse

+1 Action
Discard one to three cards.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Hamlet

You may discard a Victory card for +1 Card.
You may discard an Action card for +1 Action.
You may discard a Treasure card for +1 Buy.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Harvest

Reveal the top two cards of your deck and then discard them. +$1 for each differently named card costing $2 or less revealed.

$0, Action - Ruins

There, those can have three copies, and the rest can have two copies.

Ruined Workshop

You may gain a card costing up to $2.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Chapel

You may trash up to 2 cards from your hand worth $3 or more.

$0, Action - Ruins

Expansive Slums

Gain an action card costing $2 or less to your hand. If you cannot, trash this.

$0, Action - Ruin - Looter

Ruined Throne Room

You may play an action card from your hand costing $2 or less twice.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Laboratory

Reveal the top card of your deck. If it's an action card costing $2 or less, play it.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Festival

You may play up to two action cards costing $2 or less from your hand.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Bridge

Name a Non-Victory card. That card costs $1 less until end of turn, but not less than $0.

$0, Action - Ruins

Ruined Witch

You may gain a curse. If you do, each other player gains a curse.

$0, Action - Ruins - Attack

Sullen Hermit

You may gain an action card costing $2 or less.
You may trash a non-Treasure card costing $3 or more from your discard pile or hand.

$0, Action - Ruins

Meandering Ruins

You may play an action card costing $2 or less from your hand or discard pile.

$0, Action - Ruins

...Is this actually good? I don't know. It is 50 cards out of an expansion - but I think Dark Ages was great, and it had that. And these are at least 20 different interesting cards! The swinginess from being able to randomly get a Throne Room, Festival, or Laboratory, even a Ruined one, might be too much? Needs playtesting, to be sure. :/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 02:20:49 pm by Angle »

Angle

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 02:45:27 pm »

And, let's collect the new Looters here, too. It occurs to me that I could make the 'Mysterious Token' there a looter, and let it gain you a ruin when you play it? That would eliminate the big gold zeroes, but it might be better off over all. :/

Life Amongst The Ruins

Choose five: Gain a Ruins; Put a Ruins from your discard pile into your hand; Play a Ruins from your hand; Replay a Ruins you have in play; or Trash a Ruins you have in play. You may choose the same option multiple times.

$5, Action - Looter

Gang of Hooligans

+1 Action
Each other player reveals their hand and discards a Ruins, or gains a Ruins to their hand if they have no Ruins to discard.

Urban Evolution

+1 Action
Gain three Ruins to your hand, then return two Ruins from your hand to the Ruins pile.

$2, Action - Looter

Lawless Order

+1 Action
You may rotate the Ruins Pile.
You may gain a ruins.
The next three times you play a Ruins this turn, choose one: +1 Card, or +1 Action.

$2, Action - Looter

A new idea:

Riot

+2 Actions
Gain a ruins to your hand for each other player, then set aside a Ruins from your hand face down on this for each other player, revealing your hand if you don't have enough. Shuffle them and each other player randomly gains one, then return the remainder to the ruins pile.

Not sure about this. It can get weird if people are defended from attacks, or the ruins pile doesn't have enough - in that case, you can end up returning more ruins to the ruins pile than you took from it. Lets you dig through the pile for 'good' Ruins, too? Not sure how helpful that is. Needs playtesting.

Adventurous Looter

+1 Card
+1 Action
-
When you buy this, put it into your hand. Then, you may gain a Curse or a Ruins, if you do, choose one: +$1 and +1 Buy, or +1 Action and return to your Action phase.
-
When you trash this, return it to its pile.

$2, Action - Looter

Not sure about this one, either. Could be really good, under the right circumstances? Deeeefinitely needs playtesting. Kinda tempted to put, like, 16 or 20 of them in it's pile, but then again maybe not. :/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 02:48:20 pm by Angle »

Angle

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 02:53:18 pm »

Counterfeiting Operation Wildcat Mine
+$1
+1 Action
You may discard a Treasure from your hand. If you do, gain a cheaper Treasure to your hand.

$4, Action

Not sure about this one. Could be pretty useful, under the right circumstances? On the other hand, with just the base Treasures it's pretty questionable. :/

Name doesn't quite fit right, either. "Wildcat Mine", maybe? Yeah, let's go with that.

Wheeling and Dealing

+1 Action
You may discard a card for +1 card.
You may play a Treasure or Action card from your discard pile.

$5, Action

This might be a pretty strong village? Fairly flexible and lots of potential for interesting combos... But, if you can't line any up, it's basically just a Mountain Village, maybe even worse.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 03:23:29 pm by Angle »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 06:52:50 pm »

I like the ideas of the Tramp and Tramping Grounds and the Mysterious Token.
Generally, you seem to underestimate how bad it is to have a dead (or nearly-dead) card in your deck. Mysterious Token can give +$1 coin and still be fine costing $1. Your self-looters are too weak because gaining a ruins is worse than you think it is (even if you use your set of slightly-less useless ruins). Also, it's not worth printing out that many different ruins cards. Choose your favorite set of four or five and use those.
Wheeling and Dealing would probably be fine at $4 because of having to discard in order to draw.

Angle

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 11:44:20 pm »
+1

I like the ideas of the Tramp and Tramping Grounds and the Mysterious Token.
Generally, you seem to underestimate how bad it is to have a dead (or nearly-dead) card in your deck. Mysterious Token can give +$1 coin and still be fine costing $1. Your self-looters are too weak because gaining a ruins is worse than you think it is (even if you use your set of slightly-less useless ruins). Also, it's not worth printing out that many different ruins cards. Choose your favorite set of four or five and use those.
Wheeling and Dealing would probably be fine at $4 because of having to discard in order to draw.

Trying to resist the temptation to make things too powerful. I'll boost them a bit though. As for the Mysterious token, I really want it to give $0 and cost $1 - I like printing a treasure with a big fat golden zero on it. It does probably need a buff though; it's quite useless in any kingdom without trashing/discarding. I was also tempted to make it be worth $1 per token already in play, up to a max of $2. Though that might be too good for it's price, or too complex given it's other abilities? And it would still lose the golden zero. I guess giving it 'You may gain a ruins' is hardly going to improve things? XD

I'll definitely look at boosting the self looters - I figured making them so cheap would make their abilities reasonable, but if they still need boosts then so be it. As for all the ruins, they printed 15 different loot, and all the different trait and event cards for Plunder! I think having loads of different Ruins would be neat. And remember, only printing 2 or 3 of each! (Well, not printing any at all, obviously. But even in fantasy land, only printing two or three of each per box.) Unless you think it makes things really swingy or something? I'll admit that was a concern of mine, a ruined throne room at the right time in the right deck might actually be a big deal. Still seems relatively rare and minor, though.

Wheeling and Dealing at $4 I'm willing to try! I kinda think it need a new name though. Some kind of village, maybe, or thing that's almost a village. :/

Edit: For the self looters, the only one that actually forces you to get a ruins is Urban Evolution. I could stick an extra card, action, $, or buy on it? It's already pretty cheap at $2.

Maybe:

Urban Evolution

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may rotate the ruins.

$2, Action - Looter

Now it's a cantrip, and it lets you mess with the pile looking for better stuff before you gain cards. Any better? :/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 12:51:27 pm by Angle »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 07:00:07 am »

Why would you want to self-junk?

Angle

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 12:37:37 pm »

Why would you want to self-junk?
The idea is to look for a ruins you can actually make good use of, and find ways to be resourceful with them.

On the topic of Mysterious Token, I do still agree it needs a buff, though. Maybe make it +2 cards on both trash and discard? Maybe make it say 'You may play a Treasure from your discard pile" when you play it? That loses the golden zero... But it might be a necessary sacrifice. Or, maybe make it a non kingdom card, like ruins, and have stuff reference? Doing that, and the ruins, would be a lot, especially if I want to include more than 10 copies of the token... But, I think it could be manageable? :/

The token is just so swingy. It's great with Forager and Warehouse and Harvest and Rebuild, but much less useful normally, and in some kingdoms it can be completely useless...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 01:03:11 pm by Angle »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 01:41:39 pm »

I just looked at Urban Evolution and all it does is self junk.

So again, why would I ever buy a self junker? Self-junking only works as a nerf like with Cursed Gold.

Angle

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 08:54:13 pm »

I just looked at Urban Evolution and all it does is self junk.

So again, why would I ever buy a self junker? Self-junking only works as a nerf like with Cursed Gold.

Again, the idea is to look for something you can use, like a ruined throne room, ruined festival, expansive slums, meandering ruins, maybe a ruined garden or ruined mine, or to use it with something else that can make use of the ruin - rats, maroon, peril, siren, procession, advance, etc.

But, if you think it still needs a buff, how about:

Urban Evolution

+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain up to three Ruins to your hand, then return up to two Ruins from your hand to the Ruins pile.

$2, Action - Looter

Now you can use it to gain three ruins and keep them all, or gain none and return two, or anywhere in between.

Another idea:

Temporary Construction Makeshift Village

+2 Cards
You may play an action card from your hand or discard pile. If you do, trash it. You may repeat this up to twice more.

$4, Action

I'm using the 'Play from your hand or discard pile' too much, probably. Neat mechanic though. Probably have to cut some of these if this was a real set. :/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 09:00:25 pm by Angle »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 03:09:53 am »

It is not about details but about the general weakness of a self-junker. The buffed Ruins are better than normal Ruins but they are still junk (you mentioned Ruined Festival, that card is weaker than Necropolis).

Something like  „+1 Action +3 Cards Gain a Ruins“ might work. I think it has many issues but the key point is that a powerful effect is balanced by self-junking. I want that DoubleLab. I don’t want a mere cantrip (Urban Evolution).
Same with the official self-junker, Death Cart (not the most brilliant example because it is so weak and situational).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 03:11:35 am by segura »

Angle

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 07:21:41 pm »

Hmm. Well, I'm willing to try it? Seems like it should be more expensive - and if there's a way to make the ruin actually useful, then it becomes really good. :/

Urban Evolution

+3 Cards
+1 Action

$4, Action - Looter
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.242 seconds with 21 queries.