Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #115: Don't Count On It  (Read 14498 times)

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #115: Don't Count On It
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 06:49:17 pm »
+8

Stratagem
Night - Duration

Set aside an Action card from your hand. At the start of your next turn play it.

My thoughts
- This is a really interesting challenging idea for the contest. When thinking through and refining cards, very often you might want to add vanilla bonuses or other tweaks which would not be permitted. This has evolved quite substantially from my original idea as a result. It has retained a common theme of being able to do something with unplayed action cards.
- This is a variation of Scheme that trades not playing an action card one turn for playing it without using up an action the next. It can still be used to bootstrap your turns but more careful deck planning might be required as the Stratagem and the action will be stop cards in your action phase.
- Where it offers more flexibility then Scheme is when action cards are unintentionally drawn dead. The gain clause allows for the possibility of tactically gaining it should cards have been drawn dead on that turn.

Edit - Dropped the price from to following feedback with comparisons to Ghost Town.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:03:00 pm by xyz123 »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 07:07:49 pm »
+3

Gold Smithy - $4
Action
Discard a card to draw a number of card equal to its cost in coins. If you draw more cards than this costs, trash this to Exile a Gold from the supply. If you draw no cards, gain a Silver.

Terminal draw that requires you to discard a card with a decent cost to actually match something like Smithy. Stops ridiculous draw by trashing itself if you draw too many cards. It still rewards you for doing so. It is a Silver gainer at the very least if you draw nothing. I imagine big money will love this. I hope the wording on the draw is acceptable. Feedback is appreciated.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2021, 01:04:32 am »

Stratagem
Night - Duration

Set aside an Action card from your hand. At the start of your next turn play it.

My thoughts
- This is a really interesting challenging idea for the contest. When thinking through and refining cards, very often you might want to add vanilla bonuses or other tweaks which would not be permitted. This has evolved quite substantially from my original idea as a result. It has retained a common theme of being able to do something with unplayed action cards.
- This is a variation of Scheme that trades not playing an action card one turn for playing it without using up an action the next. It can still be used to bootstrap your turns but more careful deck planning might be required as the Stratagem and the action will be stop cards in your action phase.
- Where it offers more flexibility then Scheme is when action cards are unintentionally drawn dead. The gain clause allows for the possibility of tactically gaining it should cards have been drawn dead on that turn.
Looks like a Necro/Village and not a Scheme variant to me.
I think that it is weaker than Ghost Town. If you drew no Actions dead that you can set aside with this, you'd rather have the +1 Card of Ghost Town.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2021, 06:06:52 am »
+6

ok, I think I have my submition for these contest:

Yes, i've already post a version of this for an other contest (this stay in play) but I've rewok it a litle bit since it was consider too strong and it's a card that I like. My other ideas for this contest seem worth or not as elegant than this so here we go...

Courtyard of Miracle assure you +$1 each turn in exchange of junking your deck. In general, having 3 of these is a garanteed Province each turn (hand full of Copper +3 other with the Courtyards) but between handsize attack, Copper/Treasure synergy or just alt-vp it's usualy not that simple and I think it can lead to different strategy.
Hope you'll like it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 06:09:43 am by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2021, 08:28:28 am »

A quick idea i got: Faithful hound meets band of misfits. It's probably pretty weak without its reaction, which is why i added it.

I think this is strongest late game, when you have a lot of douchys or provinces. But early game, you might want two or three if there is no thinning.
This probably likes sifters a lot, and village Green of course. I imagine that it should combo with faithfoul hound a bit.

Edit 2: (v7)

On play ability has been buffed: You can now, for example, discard a douchy and play a powerful 5$ card.

Added an "When you gain this, you may exile a card in hand". I think this is unique, very late game, you might want to buy a Srcribe over and estate as you could exile a victory card in hand. This should also give workshops a sort of unique thinning on the boards it's on.
Buffed Scribe
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2021, 08:37:32 am »

Stratagem
Night - Duration

My thoughts
Looks like a Necro/Village and not a Scheme variant to me.
I think that it is weaker than Ghost Town. If you drew no Actions dead that you can set aside with this, you'd rather have the +1 Card of Ghost Town.

I think its weaker than ghost town too, but I still like this: I think its ok to be a bit weak.

He could make it a bit cheaper: I think a 2$ is fine for this.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2021, 09:12:55 am »
+1

A quick idea i got: Faithful hound meets band of misfits. It's probably pretty weak without its reaction, which is why i added it.

I think this is strongest late game, when you have a lot of douchys or provinces. But early game, you might want two or three if there is no thinning.
This probably likes sifters a lot, and village Green of course. I imagine that it should combo with faithfoul hound a bit.

On play ability has been buffed: You can now, for example, discard a douchy and play a powerful 5$ card.

Added an "When you gain this, you may exile a card in hand". I think this is unique, very late game, you might want to buy a Srcribe over and estate as you could exile a victory card in hand. This should also give workshops a sort of unique thinning on the boards it's on.
Buffed Scribe

I think you are trying too many things on one card. I would remove the Treasure part from the top and one of the parts below the line, at least.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2021, 09:41:30 am »

Buffed Scribe

I think you are trying too many things on one card. I would remove the Treasure part from the top and one of the parts below the line, at least.

Did the first and and kindoff the second suggestion. I think it looks a bit better. thanks for the feedback.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2021, 12:34:46 pm »
+7

Portcullis - $5
Action/Duration

Exile your hand.
At the start of your next turn, put all Actions and Treasures you have in Exile into your hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2021, 01:05:10 pm »
+7

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2021, 02:33:22 pm »
+2

I have a mock-up of this idea already in my files; it has a two on it but it's unnecessary!

Tinker - Action Reserve, $6 cost.
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you gain a card, you may call this, to trash that card and a card from your hand, then gain a card costing exactly the total cost of the two trashed cards.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2021, 03:34:46 pm »
+1

An issue with this might be the size of the Horse pile. It only takes 5 Farrier plays revealing Gold to empty to empty the pile. In a multiplayer game, that could leave one player perpetually stranded without Horses.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2021, 03:43:39 pm »
+8

My Submission:

Update: Based on the comments of Shael and segura, I changed the cost to $3, but without any other changes (so, the original version is not documented).

Overlook
$3 – Action - Duration

Either now or at the start     
 of your next turn: Look
 through your discard pile.
 You may play an Action
 card from it.

“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” - Proverb

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 03:16:37 pm by gambit05 »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2021, 03:47:16 pm »

An issue with this might be the size of the Horse pile. It only takes 5 Farrier plays revealing Gold to empty to empty the pile. In a multiplayer game, that could leave one player perpetually stranded without Horses.

It's not that difficult to empty the Horse pile in certain Kingdoms with Livery as well, for what it's worth.  In any case, it's unlikely to happen before your first Farrier play (each of your opponents would need to play Farrier, reveal a high cost card, and not play any Horses in order to empty the pile). 

That said, maybe a cost limitation on the revealed card wouldn't hurt to minimize the risk of snowballing.  For instance, if you're already ahead and were able to buy a Colony, revealing it with Farrier to gain 11 Horses increases the chances of you being able to find both Farrier and Colony again in subsequent turns.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2021, 03:57:41 pm »
+1

It's not that difficult to empty the Horse pile in certain Kingdoms with Livery as well, for what it's worth.  In any case, it's unlikely to happen before your first Farrier play (each of your opponents would need to play Farrier, reveal a high cost card, and not play any Horses in order to empty the pile). 

That said, maybe a cost limitation on the revealed card wouldn't hurt to minimize the risk of snowballing.  For instance, if you're already ahead and were able to buy a Colony, revealing it with Farrier to gain 11 Horses increases the chances of you being able to find both Farrier and Colony again in subsequent turns.

Victory cards are not targets of Farrier. A cost limitation might be difficult in the context of the rules of this contest round.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2021, 04:23:27 pm »
+2

Alchemical Factory
$6
Action - Duration
At the start of your turn, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, you may gain a card to your hand that costs less than it.
(This stays in play)

A revised version of my entry to a previous contest, with the power level toned down (because the prior version was too powerful).

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2021, 04:51:34 pm »
+1

Victory cards are not targets of Farrier. A cost limitation might be difficult in the context of the rules of this contest round.

Oh right, I missed that wording on the card regarding the limitation to Actions and Treasures.   I think you would still face the same potential issue if you are able to reveal a Platinum though.

Cost limitation could be achieved with something along the lines of "costing less than this" in order to fit the contest rules, but it might not be what's optimal for the card.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2021, 05:13:00 pm »

Oh right, I missed that wording on the card regarding the limitation to Actions and Treasures.   I think you would still face the same potential issue if you are able to reveal a Platinum though.

Cost limitation could be achieved with something along the lines of "costing less than this" in order to fit the contest rules, but it might not be what's optimal for the card.

Yeah I put treasure or action to exclude province specifically.  Plat Colony boards are rare, and in that case I'm okay with this card being bonkers.  It's not the only thing that greatly benefits from certain kingdoms.  I actually thought about saying something like "costing less than this" but in order for the card not to be total garbage, it would have to cost 5 or 6, and then it might be too expensive....idk.  A $6 one might be fine.  I'll think about it a bit but for now I'll leave it how it is

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2021, 08:17:58 pm »

Yeah I put treasure or action to exclude province specifically.  Plat Colony boards are rare, and in that case I'm okay with this card being bonkers.  It's not the only thing that greatly benefits from certain kingdoms.  I actually thought about saying something like "costing less than this" but in order for the card not to be total garbage, it would have to cost 5 or 6, and then it might be too expensive....idk.  A $6 one might be fine.  I'll think about it a bit but for now I'll leave it how it is

Yeah, “Costing less than this” would make it too weak unless it was buffed somehow.  Another option could be to discard the revealed card (so if you do reveal a Platinum, you would possibly lose the chance to play it in the same turn).

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2021, 10:22:52 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Quote from: Grand Feast
GRAND FEAST       
ACTION
Trash this. If you did, draw any number of cards, then discard that many.

My submission this week is Grand Feast. A high-priced one shot, this is the ultimate sifter, getting the exact cards desired (at the opportunity cost of depriving your deck a Gold, and with the risk of drawing it into a good hand and having it either be wasted or effectively drawn dead).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:24:03 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2021, 10:43:59 pm »
+1

Abandoned stone
cost $6 - Action - Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, look through your discard pile, reveal any number of cards costing less than this, put them onto your deck, discard any number of cards, and draw that many.

(This stays in play.)

EDIT: added the last sentence.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 11:46:43 am by majiponi »

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2021, 07:00:24 am »
+1

My Submission:

Overlook
$4 – Action - Duration

You may play an Action
 card from it.

It's a verry cool reference ^^
Since it's a sort of super-cantrip, maybe it should cost $3 no?
$4 seem a litle bit expensive for this effect, especialy if you compare it to Throne Room (witch also "copy" an action card).

Abandoned stone
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, look through your discard pile, reveal any number of cards costing less than this, put them onto your deck, discard any number of cards, and draw that many.
I think it need a (This stay in play)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:10:22 am by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2021, 11:50:07 am »

Yeah, “Costing less than this” would make it too weak unless it was buffed somehow.  Another option could be to discard the revealed card (so if you do reveal a Platinum, you would possibly lose the chance to play it in the same turn).

If that was the case I'd need to allow victory cards, I think.  It feels really weak if you have to choose between gaining horses or playing your expensive card.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2021, 12:18:51 pm »
+1

My Submission:

Overlook
$4 – Action - Duration

You may play an Action
 card from it.

It's a verry cool reference ^^
Since it's a sort of super-cantrip, maybe it should cost $3 no?
$4 seem a litle bit expensive for this effect, especialy if you compare it to Throne Room (witch also "copy" an action card).

Abandoned stone
I think it need a (This stay in play)
I agree that this is a $3. Sure, later in the game it is better than Sage but unlike Sage, you cannot open with this to sift and cycle.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2021, 12:39:19 pm »
+1

If that was the case I'd need to allow victory cards, I think.  It feels really weak if you have to choose between gaining horses or playing your expensive card.

It wouldn't be terrible, IMO.  As-is, Farrier could be pretty weak early in the game if you only have Coppers and Estates in hand.  You would open up the possibility of it gaining a bunch of Horses with Provinces or Colonies, but is it that much worse than being able to reveal a Gold or a Platinum?   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.