Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #115: Don't Count On It  (Read 14503 times)

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #115: Don't Count On It
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2021, 02:40:37 am »

Thanks for running the contest LastFootnote.

Congratulations scolapasta

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2021, 04:45:47 am »
+1

Personally, I'm disappointed that the judgment comments didn't respect the rules of this contest.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2021, 12:18:06 pm »

Gold Smithy by Xen3k
Hey, I think I used this art for testing an official card that I called Jeweler! It was the one time I used a different name than Donald X.’s version of the card, which he called Stonecutter. Man, that’s too close to “Stonemason” I thought, but also I just couldn’t find any good “Stonecutter” art. Anyway. This uses a pretty tortured wording in order to not use numbers, I think. It should probably say “If you drew more than 4 cards” or whatever. But I think in general it’s just a little too complex. It’s got a bunch of clauses to try to even out its power level, but as a result the card has too many concepts and it’s hard to remember what all it does.

Good judging! I figured that art has been used before, but it is so difficult to get nice artwork for custom card. I wanted to make a terminal draw card without using number, but I agree what I came up with is just too wordy. I may play around with this more to come up with a less wordy card.

Congrats to scolapasta!

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2021, 12:43:50 pm »
+2

Woohoo, I should retire now. Runner up last week, Winner of Fan Mechanics last week, and now this one? (I am, however, noticing a pattern that the my entries that do better are always the "simpler" ones). Something to keep in mind going forward...

I'll post a new contest / thread up some time tonight or tomorrow latest.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 12:45:47 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2021, 12:52:53 pm »

GG to scolapasta, border crossing is a very nice card
ok, thank you for your feedback LastFootnote

Courtyard of Miracles by Shael
Yet another “stays in play” card. I’m a big fan of effects that gain a Copper to your hand. At first I was thinking, this should trigger at the start of each of your Buy phases instead, since you’d have a better idea then of whether you’d need an extra $1 that turn. But since it triggers at the start of turn, it combos with Cellar and other cards that want a large hand size. I don’t think it should give an option between the two times, so I guess it’s fine as-is. BUT, people have made a valid point that once you get 3 or 4 of these in play, you can basically just get a Province every turn. I think for that reason, this would work better as a Project.

Well, the Province thing is intentional and I haven't see anyone that have pointed this, it's even the main way to use the card...
Maybe I haven't been clear when I've describe the ways to use it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:25:46 pm by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2021, 03:25:57 pm »

I'll post a new contest / thread up some time tonight or tomorrow latest.

A fun follow-up to Don't Count On It could be Count On It!

Lots of ways to run it, but I think the most logical would be to require a set of (maybe 4 or 5) consecutive numbers in some way.

Maybe the card must use the numbers 1 to 4 (or 1 to 5) somewhere on the card.  Maybe each must only be used once.  Maybe a consecutive set of 4 numbers that does not include the number 1 (could be 2 through 5, or 3 through 6, etc.).  Maybe it uses the same number (greater than 1) at least 3 times on the card.  Maybe 3 consecutive numbers without any vanilla bonuses.

A bunch of places to use numbers:
- vanilla bonuses (other than the last option above)
- card cost
- reveal/look at
- attacks of some sort
- reference to number of cards in hand or cost of a revealed card

Some official examples: Wandering Minstrel and Conspirator (1 through 4, but Conspirator uses "1" twice), Inn, Sacrifice, and Squire (3+ occurrences of the number 2),
he/him

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2021, 04:19:32 pm »

Maybe the card must use the numbers 1 to 4 (or 1 to 5) somewhere on the card.
I'd been planning that one if I ever won again, so I was amused to see LastFootnote's criteria for this one!
I think Seer is the only official card that has all numbers 1 to 5 on it.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2021, 05:46:54 pm »
+1

New contest posted:  WDC #116: Make me *less* special

A few comments on Border Crossing:

• the more I think on it, the more I do realize it may be a good idea to add "may". While it does remove the use of "getting a cheap $2 to force your opponent(s) to gain a Copper", that's probably fine. (or as some suggested adding Attack type, though that may need a different name)

• LastFootnote is of course correct that this would be crazy with only debt cost cards (and is one of the reason to add the "may"). Not sure if it'd be worth complicating the card though to avoid that, or just let those combos exists. I lean towards the latter.

As with any design, playtesting will be what truly determines what the final form should be, but I am still pleased with this as a v0.2 (and only 0.2 due to removing the extraneous "from the Supply"
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.