Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 100  All

Author Topic: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (Game Over, Perfect Mafia Victory!)  (Read 297055 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #300 on: January 28, 2019, 12:45:24 am »

Quote from: EFHW
Who is eddie?

In Uncleeurope's signature = Eddie. Faust also refers to them as Eddie in #258. I assumed it was a known nickname.
Makes sense. I turned off signatures so I didn't see it.

Context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VII#%22Uncle_of_Europe%22
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 28, 2019, 01:10:04 am »

Good morning. I will catch up either today or tomorrow, sorry for the weekends.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 28, 2019, 03:33:21 am »

3) raerae (no shuffle ID, so IDK, but they have decent content): All in all just too damn paranoid for me to consider as a lynch rn. I am a pretty strong town read on them as of current.. they check all the correct boxes. 1) Frustrated with their wagon (not skummy, no matter what people have said), 2) faust pissing them off (townX1000), 3) They continue to attempt to open new venues of conversation, which is the easiest form of skum hunting in early days to avoid... so skum tends to you know... avoid it.
- Start of game has mostly to do with twin claim wars. To be expected. As I somewhat recently joined FDS from a twinclaim referral I can go ahead and say that gunning for your friend is essentially NAI... so if you are married it is probably just outright expected to happen (that was a joke, it is nice to play with both of you!)
- That being said... #138 is just downright incorrect. This is a form of RMM - if we bring every player to L-1 on Day 1, then on Day 1 every player will essentially have to claim. That is an exaggerated example (I am not promoting a mass claim by any means).. I am just saying that to wagon up players, under the correct circumstances, during early phases of this set up... def does NOT just "tell us nothing". If anything it is a stronger argument for the RVS stage of the game.

Dude, are you sure you were rereading me?  I guess I appreciate that you've found me town but your reasoning is flawed so I'm concerned your "townread" on me is more of a buddy than an actual read.

1)I'm not frustrated with the "wagon" on me (one vote, hardly more than RVS I think?), I was frustrated the MiX wagon spun up so quick and stuck so long but that's been my only frustration so far. 
2)Faust is most certainly not pissing me off, he voted for me and I asked why, I promise you I have much more colorful words reserved for when I'm pissed.
3)I'll give you this one.
-Start of the game didn't "mostly" have to do with a twinclaim, I had a PS on a post informing people, that's about it.  Then I started raising a fuss about the MiX wagon and trying to get additional conversation going.
-Post #138 wasn't even mine.  Regardless, I disagree with you.  This isn't RMM in the slightest, it's normal as stated in the set-up, we're guaranteed at least 5 VTs and minimum 1 Goon so with 13 playing we're only looking at a maximum of 7 roles.  Beyond that, claiming early game only benefits scum, just because you're on L-1 DOES NOT mean you should claim so you saying we'd all have to mass claim if we all RVS'd each other to L-1 is just wackadoo.  Beyond that, I've never been a huge fan of RVS but I get it, conversation has to start somewhere but there is no reason, that I can see, to let it get within lynching range so damn early because it just allows scum opportunity for a quickhammer.
This post reads as if it should really end in a vote for DatSwan. It doesn't, and that makes it scummy. There is little point in dismantling someone else's townread on you unless you think they are scum and you can show it this way.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 28, 2019, 05:24:08 am »

It is a disservice to this community to even insinuate that somebody would lie about an unexpected IRL event.

I withdraw my statement; I thought it was possible for scum to overexaggerate an IRL event to lurk just a little more, I guess it's not.

Now that the game has progressed, what do you think of literally anyone else? Anything about any other player besides us 3 is welcome.

• EFHW: first post was hilarious. In #266 she reads you as scummy. Could be i am searching for confirmation of my bias/opinion.
  • Faust: first posts quoting Nietzsche was funny and it blew my newb mind when datswan hypothesized that it could be a role based restriction, which i had no idea could exist in the known universe.
  • I don't understand the any of the justifications for voting for or by raerae or shraeye.
  • Shraeye: I took comment about giving Joseph, faust, and eddie one guess as some kind of shared history/joke that I am not part of.
  • Lalight: i didn't understand the SS scumslip! assertion but i had a slightly scummy vibe from SS which could also be confirmation bias.
  • Joseph's post count summary was helpful, which i appreciated.
  • Eddie's posts about you and ari reaffirmed my initial admittedly novice read.
  • Datswans summary analysis post was awesome, thought i should borrow that technique sometime. Also hints at somewhat scummy read on you.
  • Faust in #252 seems to suggest SS town read is scummy, which is how i took it.
  • Mail-mi/Dylan - No opinion

This list is good, very good indeed, just one question left...

Oh "the most scummiest thing I have ever read in all of the mafia games I've ever played" is just this one...funny. Was that intentional?

Quote from: Debatepro
If you are town, your wasting dialog time with me, because there are clearly better players you need to convince you are not scum. If you are scum and you are wasting your time with me, then I find it a brilliant strategy to project yourself as a newb player. Sticking with my reads for now.

Here I didn't want to destroy your scum read on me, since I think that's not possible (I tried and I just got confused with your answers) so instead I'm trying to destroy my scum read on you. So far your answers have been towny, but there's one question left!

What else is there...no idea how to interpret raerae's posts, Uncle's absolutely right that no scum would

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 28, 2019, 05:25:16 am »

My god, why is there a shortcut for posting?

What else is there...no idea how to interpret raerae's posts, Uncle's absolutely right that no scum would

would quickhammer that early in D1, they would be lynched immediatly in the following day.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 28, 2019, 05:30:28 am »

would quickhammer that early in D1, they would be lynched immediatly in the following day.

Ah, but overexcited town sometimes does quickhammer. So very early L-1 wagons can be dangerous that way. And of course quickhammering scum might use the defense of "no scum would do that" - at which point it's just a load of WIFOM.

tl;dr: Don't quickhammer or you're the next lynch is a good policy to enforce.

Debatepro

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Debatepr0
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 28, 2019, 09:28:31 am »

This list is good, very good indeed, just one question left...
Oh "the most scummiest thing I have ever read in all of the mafia games I've ever played" is just this one...funny. Was that intentional?

Things can be more than one thing. It was in fact the scummiest thing I have ever read in all the mafia games I've ever played (this one) and meant to be funny.

Quote from: Debatepro
If you are town, your wasting dialog time with me, because there are clearly better players you need to convince you are not scum. If you are scum and you are wasting your time with me, then I find it a brilliant strategy to project yourself as a newb player. Sticking with my reads for now.
Here I didn't want to destroy your scum read on me, since I think that's not possible (I tried and I just got confused with your answers) so instead I'm trying to destroy my scum read on you.

It's interesting that other players haven't picked up your scum read for me. Perhaps it's because they also have a scum read on you, people just backed off because your vote total got too high too early.

So far your answers have been towny, but there's one question left!
What else is there...no idea how to interpret raerae's posts, Uncle's absolutely right that no scum would quickhammer that early in D1, they would be lynched immediately in the following day.

Right, this all came after my two posts answering your questions. On another note, I appreciated raerae's post re: Dyan's departure, felt like the right thing given the desire to build a sustainable community of players for the long term.

PS: I answered the one question you said you had left. Time to find out who you are playing with.   ;)

FNG

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 28, 2019, 09:31:53 am »

people just backed off because your vote total got too high too early.
This is incorrect.

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 28, 2019, 11:23:38 am »

Greetings! It is now the weekdays, and I shall be quite active once more! I believe there is a gold mine of information in the past 3 pages, but there isn't enough context for me to make conclusive votes yet. The last couple pages will be invaluable as the game progresses. Regardless, FOS MiX and Faust. MiX because I get a scummy feel and because of that early buddying at the start. I suspect that early buddying was due to the fact that I was thought of as a noob, and a quick attempt to get me on his side, keeping him alive with my vote. Faust because he said almost nothing for like 2 irl days, and I think depriving the town of information, even if he starts supplying info now, is kinda scummy. But take this with a grain of salt for 2 reasons: I'm not really sure about either, and TBH I suck at scumhunting. In addition, I don't know the meta. Regardless, my opinion stands. Thoughts?

What does PPE mean?
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 28, 2019, 11:32:44 am »

What is Teproc doing in this game?!

Oh it's ariship. You adopted the image of another mafia player there. I guess there's no rule against that, but it will probably be fairly confusing to other vets, especially if Teproc comes back. On the other hand, he hasn't been around in a while, so maybe it's fine.

PPE means pre-post edit. If you write a post, but while you are writing someone else submitted one, you get a notification and have to reconfirm that you want to post it. If you don't want to read the new posts before submitting, you can denote this by writing PPE X where X is the number of new posts.

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 28, 2019, 11:36:10 am »

What is Teproc doing in this game?!

Oh it's ariship. You adopted the image of another mafia player there. I guess there's no rule against that, but it will probably be fairly confusing to other vets, especially if Teproc comes back. On the other hand, he hasn't been around in a while, so maybe it's fine.

PPE means pre-post edit. If you write a post, but while you are writing someone else submitted one, you get a notification and have to reconfirm that you want to post it. If you don't want to read the new posts before submitting, you can denote this by writing PPE X where X is the number of new posts.

Well, I am the tactician
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfuRy3GOfz49_YB4mN79_5w
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 28, 2019, 12:35:09 pm »

Greetings! It is now the weekdays, and I shall be quite active once more! I believe there is a gold mine of information in the past 3 pages, but there isn't enough context for me to make conclusive votes yet. The last couple pages will be invaluable as the game progresses. Regardless, FOS MiX and Faust. MiX because I get a scummy feel and because of that early buddying at the start. I suspect that early buddying was due to the fact that I was thought of as a noob, and a quick attempt to get me on his side, keeping him alive with my vote. Faust because he said almost nothing for like 2 irl days, and I think depriving the town of information, even if he starts supplying info now, is kinda scummy. But take this with a grain of salt for 2 reasons: I'm not really sure about either, and TBH I suck at scumhunting. In addition, I don't know the meta. Regardless, my opinion stands. Thoughts?

What does PPE mean?
faust is usually an advocate for doing lots D1 (partly because they often get night killed N1)
Their lack of serious content is unusual though maybe just a different way of playing rather than necessarily scummy
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 28, 2019, 01:37:01 pm »

That is the only part of raerae's post that felt off to me. Kind of intellectualized fake town.  I didn't expect a Datswan vote at the end, and her descriptions of her posts matched my impressions better than Datswan's did.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 28, 2019, 01:41:22 pm »

This is incorrect.
But also correct. It's not why you voted elsewhere, but is why I didn't vote.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 28, 2019, 02:24:15 pm »

This is incorrect.
Well you can vote now.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2019, 04:41:57 pm »

This post reads as if it should really end in a vote for DatSwan. It doesn't, and that makes it scummy. There is little point in dismantling someone else's townread on you unless you think they are scum and you can show it this way.

I vote when I'm good and ready, not a moment before, and I'm not a bit sorry it doesn't match your expectations. The other thing I don't do is vote based on a single post unless that post is a copy/paste of a scum role message. Again, not a bit sorry about that.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2019, 04:43:28 pm »

Rae - thoughts on anyone but yourself?

Will do tonight, kid's down for a nap now so I'm on the phone between trying to get house stuff done.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2019, 04:55:28 pm »

I reread the game so far and I find that I agree with what has been said about MiX being scummy.

Developed some town reads, which is always helpful.

Holding off voting since it's so early, but once we have a rough consensus the day starts to feel over regardless.

PPE: silver

This seems weird to me, already eager to end the day and move on? Calm down and enjoy the show. And I realize this was corrected by you not reading all the posts, but still, this mentality seems dangerous to me.

Plus the entirety of your posts have been very scarce with you only coming in to agree with a consensus, say you have town reads without any risk involved in the claim (because it was left as the quite simplistic: "Yo, I have town reads, fools." Like, what is the purpose of saying this to us other than to be like "I'm playing the game too, guys!"), then backed down from the consensus once it wasn't a consensus. (Well, maybe not backed down, but still.)

And since my current vote isn't generating any discussion I may as well Vote: AFEW

(Vote: EFHW <-Just in case)
I realized I hadn't responded to this. I'm not in any hurry. Just sharing something I've noticed because I'm not interested in extending the day "just because". I'm experimenting with not sharing townreads right off, so yeah, I guess I was trying to say "Hi, I'm playing too." I didn't back down from anything, so I'm confused why you mention that I did and then take it back. My initial impression of consensus was dispelled by the subsequent posts, so I shared that. It feels like you are looking for ways to read me as scummy.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2019, 04:56:23 pm »

This is incorrect.
Well you can vote now.
You're right, but now I want to look it over again.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2019, 05:12:08 pm »

Seeing your answer to Uncle's vote made me reread this:

I reread the game so far and I find that I agree with what has been said about MiX being scummy.

Holding off voting since it's so early, but once we have a rough consensus the day starts to feel over regardless.

This rubs me the wrong way, EFHW: why did you think there was a consensus? And about who/what, if that's not too much information to divulge.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 28, 2019, 05:32:57 pm »

This seems weird to me, already eager to end the day and move on? Calm down and enjoy the show. And I realize this was corrected by you not reading all the posts, but still, this mentality seems dangerous to me.

Plus the entirety of your posts have been very scarce with you only coming in to agree with a consensus, say you have town reads without any risk involved in the claim (because it was left as the quite simplistic: "Yo, I have town reads, fools." Like, what is the purpose of saying this to us other than to be like "I'm playing the game too, guys!"), then backed down from the consensus once it wasn't a consensus. (Well, maybe not backed down, but still.)

And since my current vote isn't generating any discussion I may as well Vote: AFEW

(Vote: EFHW <-Just in case)
I realized I hadn't responded to this. I'm not in any hurry. Just sharing something I've noticed because I'm not interested in extending the day "just because". I'm experimenting with not sharing townreads right off, so yeah, I guess I was trying to say "Hi, I'm playing too." I didn't back down from anything, so I'm confused why you mention that I did and then take it back. My initial impression of consensus was dispelled by the subsequent posts, so I shared that. It feels like you are looking for ways to read me as scummy.

Yes, I am looking at ways to read people as scummy.

Your initial post just seemed like you were trying to step on as few toes as possible, which is a mark for scum in my eyes.

And as an attempt at clarity regarding my point about you backing down, my initial read through made it seem like you wanted to take the easy way out with MiX then upon realizing it was more contentious than you realized, elected not to be as directly involved. After reading it again today I can see a bit more where you are coming from. (My initial post also considered this a weaker point to be fair, hense some of the wording). That being said I don’t think that completely removes my suspicion (yet).

You haven’t said much and what you have said lacks content.

PPE 1
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 28, 2019, 06:16:34 pm »

This rubs me the wrong way, EFHW: why did you think there was a consensus? And about who/what, if that's not too much information to divulge.
About you being scummy. But then other people spoke for the opposite perspective and the illusion of consensus was gone.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 28, 2019, 06:34:40 pm »

I suppose I should share my reads:

Debatepro's answers to my questioning are towny, if he keeps this up he might get a townread from me, for now I'll just give him a D1 pass.

faust's null, his early votes are good and his questions are towny, but he could very well do all that as scum, still, it's pro-town, so I hope he continues it.

mail-mi's still lurking...I wish we got a more active player, oh well.

ss...now that's a player who's hard to read. Unlike what faust/uncle said, I think not having scumreads when ss said he didn't isn't scummy...I didn't have any myself. Then ss made some towny posts about his town and scum reads, and...that's pretty much it. I think he's town, I guess.

Uncle's town, his case on me is outstandly solid yet he dropped his vote on me, just don't see scum doing that this early, then he went for someone who's practically unlynchable...all of this is town behavior.

DatSwan's scummy untill he finishes his read summary; remember that Swan? Pretty sure you said you were going to finish it. Not sure if not reading the setup is town!swan or scum!swan, it says nothing about post restrictions and UoS made it pretty clear EVERYTHING that could happen this game is in the setup post (because of how big it is).

LaLight's null/scummy? I feel like he tried to buddy me after he said he liked ari's style, but that's pretty insignificant. Need to see his weekday activity.

Joseph's null, but I want him to answer this:

If it's not too much to ask, what do you think of raerae/shraeye? Oh and Debatepro.

Just in case he missed it.

arishipshape's still towny and will forever be towny untill he does a very big scumslip, for recent evidence of his townyness I present his FoS on me and faust, which is precisely what I would expect from noob!town.

shraeye looks scummy: he hasn't done anything else other than create a case on me and attempt to reaffirm it with my reactions to it, hasn't defended his case after I challenged it nor revoted; yes, there was some effort on his play, but isn't that what scum would want?

EFHW hasn't done much, maybe she doesn't have a lot of availability, but everything seems low effort...I guess I'll ask her a question: If you don't want to disclose your townreads, can you at least say your scumreads? There's still nullreads so you won't give up precious information by PoE (Process of Elimination). Untill this (and the other question in the post above) is answered, nullish.

raerae's interesting, if this is her version of scumhunting then she's very town, since it has the correct amount of fishing for information, paranoia and pressure votes. Don't like how she's wrong about everything she says, but the way she says them is pretty towny, so...I guess it works out well.

Well, there it is, feel free to point out any inconsistencies, why some things I said here are just plain wrong and why a readslist at this stage of the game is the most pro/anti-town thing ever, depending on your stance on the matter.

This also ends in vote: DatSwan, to make sure you actually finish the summary, the first half was great, and vote: shraeye because that's where I want my vote to be in.

PPE 2

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 28, 2019, 06:38:04 pm »

So you can provide good cases against your mislynches? Man it's easy to say this about you  :P

I strongly agree with everything else you say in that post.

About you being scummy. But then other people spoke for the opposite perspective and the illusion of consensus was gone.

That's exactly the answer I was looking for: good, you didn't come up with a lie.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 28, 2019, 07:08:52 pm »

So you can provide good cases against your mislynches? Man it's easy to say this about you  :P

I strongly agree with everything else you say in that post.

That's exactly the answer I was looking for: good, you didn't come up with a lie.

Everyone is looking for ways to read others as scummy, you goober. (I had a tongue sticking out emoticon here but removed it, I refuse to be playful with potential murderers)

Speaking of which, pulling out the “it was all a test” maneuver? A classic play.
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 100  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 16 queries.