Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion and Intrigue second editions  (Read 242095 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion and Intrigue second editions
« Reply #475 on: October 06, 2016, 09:32:46 am »
+3

Got my copies. My Intrigue had 11 Swindlers and 9 Trading Post.

Saboteur strikes back!

This deserves more upvotes.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 06, 2016, 09:52:12 am »
+4

Saboteur strikes back!

It's funny because Swindler costs $2 less than Trading Post!
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 06, 2016, 09:55:14 am »

Saboteur strikes back!

It's funny because Swindler costs $2 less than Trading Post!

I know!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 06, 2016, 12:40:07 pm »
+15

All updated Base card images (and the trash mat) are up.  Starting on Intrigue now.

EDIT: Everything is up!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:55:48 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 06, 2016, 01:02:04 pm »
+1

I really hate the art for sentry.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 06, 2016, 02:07:02 pm »

All updated Base card images (and the trash mat) are up.  Starting on Intrigue now.

For some reason unless if you click on the image it is still the old version.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 06, 2016, 02:11:27 pm »
+1

As the 2nd editions get out and about, it's going to be harder and harder to get copies of the 12 removed cards. I know what I'd be like if I'd just found dominion right now, I'd start with the new editions, but, over time, I'd want to play with those 12 cards. Maybe they aren't that good, but I'd feel I'd want to decide that for myself.

So, I was wondering if there are any plans afoot to put out a "The lost cards" pack - just a little sort-of-expansion that gives you the 12 removed cards, for the people (like me) who like to have everything. It would be the crappiest dominion expansion ever, but hell I know I'd happily fork out a tenner for it if I had the 2nd editions. Variety is the spice of life, and some of those removed cards (woodcutter and chancellor) have featured importantly in some very fun games I've played. I know that the reason they're gone is sound - they aren't interesting very often, generally they're pretty much pointless on the board they're on - but in certain cases they can still be fun and important, so I'd want them involved in my randomisation so they could pop up every now and then.

I have very fond memories of winning a game with a treasureless engine of Library/Festival/Chancellor - I wouldn't want that oppurtunity denied to anyone :p

Years in the future, I will pull out my old pile of Scouts.  Old, dusty, but original.  I'll sell it just like those old comics and get millions of dollars.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 06, 2016, 02:34:42 pm »
+4

As the 2nd editions get out and about, it's going to be harder and harder to get copies of the 12 removed cards. I know what I'd be like if I'd just found dominion right now, I'd start with the new editions, but, over time, I'd want to play with those 12 cards. Maybe they aren't that good, but I'd feel I'd want to decide that for myself.

So, I was wondering if there are any plans afoot to put out a "The lost cards" pack - just a little sort-of-expansion that gives you the 12 removed cards, for the people (like me) who like to have everything. It would be the crappiest dominion expansion ever, but hell I know I'd happily fork out a tenner for it if I had the 2nd editions. Variety is the spice of life, and some of those removed cards (woodcutter and chancellor) have featured importantly in some very fun games I've played. I know that the reason they're gone is sound - they aren't interesting very often, generally they're pretty much pointless on the board they're on - but in certain cases they can still be fun and important, so I'd want them involved in my randomisation so they could pop up every now and then.

I have very fond memories of winning a game with a treasureless engine of Library/Festival/Chancellor - I wouldn't want that oppurtunity denied to anyone :p

Years in the future, I will pull out my old pile of Scouts.  Old, dusty, but original.  I'll sell it just like those old comics and get millions of dollars.

You should save them, because you might need to pull out an old pile of Great Halls.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 06, 2016, 02:36:58 pm »

I thought merchant was prettier :(
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 06, 2016, 02:42:04 pm »

She's not happy with you, either.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 06, 2016, 02:42:39 pm »
+2

For some reason unless if you click on the image it is still the old version.

Refresh the page.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 06, 2016, 04:05:23 pm »
+2

Upgrade does seem to be missing though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 06, 2016, 04:52:03 pm »
+2

MOAR PICTURES

New cards in the binders (my storage solution):

Removed cards pushed to the back of the bus:

Old cards put back in the 1st edition box:

Tokens, mats, Events and Landmarks, and rules moved to the new box:

Upgrade does seem to be missing though.

Fixed.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 06, 2016, 05:24:27 pm »
+3

I had high hopes for poacher's art, but it turns out to be the second card ever in Dominion that I will feel a bit embarassed to pull out in front of friends (and strangers too).
Even passing her gown-and-bra outfit (I'm definitely not a prude, but I'd like to see more common sense in fantasy art), how can she even hunt with her hair covering her eyes?
It's not even near some of the art you see in - say - MtG, but it's still something I wouldn't like to see Dominion import.
/rant

I must compliment the artist for the best depiction of fasans pheasants that I have ever seen in a board game.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:40:22 pm by Accatitippi »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 06, 2016, 05:31:15 pm »
+4

how can she even hunt with her hair covering her eyes?

Her hair is covering her left eye so she can see straight down the arrow with her right.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 06, 2016, 05:32:17 pm »
+2

I must compliment the artist for the best depiction of fasans that I have ever seen in a board game.

Pheasants?

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 06, 2016, 05:37:41 pm »

how can she even hunt with her hair covering her eyes?

Her hair is covering her left eye so she can see straight down the arrow with her right.

Closing one eye to take aim better is a myth, as far as I know (my two archer friend confirm this).
And I was complaining more about her generally looking like she is there to be taken pictures of rather than to hunt. I mean, I've tried to run in the woods with my medium-length hair loose, and I have a very precise idea of how impractical that is.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 06, 2016, 05:39:06 pm »

I must compliment the artist for the best depiction of fasans that I have ever seen in a board game.

Pheasants?

Yeah, those. I mixed that up with Norwegian, sorry.  ;D'

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 06, 2016, 08:31:35 pm »

[picture]

Wow, that trash mat is gigantic. I'm kinda turned off by that, but I guess it allows you to make multiple trash piles if doing so would be helpful (fan out trashed treasures for forager, put 3 to 5 cost cards in their own pile for Graverobber, etc.)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 06, 2016, 11:32:13 pm »
+1

[picture]

Wow, that trash mat is gigantic. I'm kinda turned off by that, but I guess it allows you to make multiple trash piles if doing so would be helpful (fan out trashed treasures for forager, put 3 to 5 cost cards in their own pile for Graverobber, etc.)

I actually like it - I think it's a good size.  Played a couple games tonight with the new cards, Replace and Sentry were in both of them, and the trash mat got pretty full.

Card thoughts:
Merchant - meh.  Probably needs a really thin deck.  Kept whiffing.
Harbinger - pretty strong.  A cantrip, cheap Scavenger is kind of ridiculous, it sets things up so well.
Vassal - meh.  Also needs a really thin deck, as well as sources of +Action so you're not sad that you discarded Smithy.
Diplomat - finicky, but pretty sweet when you can get it to go off.  Didn't use the Reaction ever.
Mill - quite nice!  That + can come in very useful, and it helps trigger Diplomat.
Lurker - hilarious.  Exactly what everyone thought it would be.
Artisan - strong.  Quite strong.
Secret Passage - stronger than you might think, as long as it's not too near the end of a shuffle.  I once put a Curse as the 7th card down hoping I'd have a Sentry in my next hand, which I did!
Sentry - not too bad.  I think Junk Dealer is stronger, but it can synergize with Vassal.
Replace - very strong.  Replacing Estates into Mills is quite fun, but handing out Curses when you turn Golds into Provinces is kind of ridiculous.
Poacher - solid.  The one game we played with it, no piles emptied, so it was just a Peddler.  I was honestly hoping for a pile to empty to help trigger Diplomat, though. :(
Bandit - okay?  Better than Thief.  Gaining a Gold is nice, but the Attack portion never hit.
Courtier - pretty sweet, even with only 2-type cards.  Very flexible, and another Diplomat synergizer.
Patrol - pretty good.

Given that the 14 new cards have only one Village (and a finicky one at that) and only one +Buy, the two games were pretty interesting, trying to get everything to line up together.  Overall, I like them!  They're a lot more interesting than the removed cards, I found myself thinking a lot about what decisions to make, particularly with cards like Courtier, Secret Passage, and Artisan.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 06, 2016, 11:56:04 pm »
+1

Regardless of whether the cards or bad or good, it makes sense that we will be thinking about them in terms of decision making. They are new, after all.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 07, 2016, 03:26:17 am »
+6

I'll say it for everyone: it wasn't the greatest card in the world; it was just Tribute.

That made my evening, Donald.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 07, 2016, 07:55:44 am »
+2

Got my new editions. Best ones yet.

First whomever decided to put the inlays inside the manuals to stop them from getting damaged - Genius. Great move. Now whomever decided to make the gaps between the card piles in the plastic carton thing smaller, making it so a third of them were broken by the time I got the game - not a genius. They are all still usable but the Copper slot is a little cramped. This may be an old change I am only noticing now.

Cards arrived fine (except one pile was already half open? No cards missing though). Card quality is the best yet. Cards feel just like old ones do; great.

THE NEW TEXT IS SO MUCH MORE READABLE! No tiny fonts for the sake of tiny fonts. Clearer wordings. More concise wordings. Generally easier to understand. No weird uses of "immediately" or "including cards in other people's hands".

New cards I've tried so far:
Sentry: If you open this it's a rock star. If you get it in the first shuffle it's pretty good. If you get it in the second shuffle it's a slow trasher that misses a lot. Not a surprise.

Harbinger: Unsurprisingly this is kind of useless in a draw your deck engine.

Patrol: Really good draw

Courtier: Games where this is the only +Buy become really interesting with having to manage your deck to line it up with 2 type cards. Cool card.

Artisan: Exactly as good as it looks, meaning very good.

Trash mat is pretty big. Like, really big. Three cards wide! It's thin enough that it can be placed inside a row of the Wooden Artist Case to one side of a set of particular cards.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 09:19:58 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 07, 2016, 09:28:24 am »

[picture]

It's definitely bigger than I thought it would be and it took me a while to find a convenient yet safe place for it in my storage case.  Problem solved though and it is everything I'd hoped for.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #499 on: October 07, 2016, 09:53:23 am »

I haven't gotten the sets yet. Is the trash mat bigger than tavern mats?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25  All

Page created in 2.309 seconds with 20 queries.