Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Empire Events: Wedding?  (Read 13759 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Empire Events: Wedding?
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 07:03:19 pm »

i think that it is way more appealing on turn 2 than turn 1

Use your Baker token to get Legionary turn 1, then Borrow to get Wedding turn 2

Just empty the Supply in two turns!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 03:20:59 am »

Would depend on what I want to buy and how frequent, no? And the other cards ib my deck, etc.
Obviously, but a single card giving a bigger amount of $ is usually pretty good (for instance: Platinum).

A hand with a single Gold needs $5 in 4 cards or $1.25/card in the rest of your hand for a Province.
A hand with 2 Silvers still needs $4 in 3 cards or $1.33/card in the rest of your hand.
So with the Silvers, the other cards have to provide a little more $.

Oversimplified, but you get the idea.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 10:40:58 am »

Buying Wedding (and Debt cards in general) is best when you are at the end of your shuffle. That way, you can maximize your purchase by having the Debt card help to pay off the debt.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 04:48:20 am »
+1

Buying Wedding (and Debt cards in general) is best when you are at the end of your shuffle. That way, you can maximize your purchase by having the Debt card help to pay off the debt.

I'm not so sure about that.  If you want your debt card to give you a spike in power (in this case, the gold leading to an early $6/$7 turn), it can be easier on a blank debt slate.  That way you don't draw it at the start of the shuffle and have to use the turn to pay some debt leaving not enough money to do anything great.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 08:28:03 am »
+2

I'm not so sure about that.  If you want your debt card to give you a spike in power (in this case, the gold leading to an early $6/$7 turn), it can be easier on a blank debt slate.  That way you don't draw it at the start of the shuffle and have to use the turn to pay some debt leaving not enough money to do anything great.

I disagree with your disagreement.  I would rather get a 3/4 split than a 4/3 split on a Wedding board, and would rather get a 4/3 split on an Overlord board so I can get two good things in my deck before my first shuffle.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 05:46:34 pm »

That's interesting. As per my limited knowledge, I generally want to be drawing my Gold(s) more often than not in order to maximize the amount of money that my hands can make, and so I'd rather keep my deck as thin as possible, filling it with Gold and VP when I feel like my deck can take the fat. I'm assuming the 3 in the 3/4 split is generally for Silver?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2016, 05:52:13 pm »

That's interesting. As per my limited knowledge, I generally want to be drawing my Gold(s) more often than not in order to maximize the amount of money that my hands can make, and so I'd rather keep my deck as thin as possible, filling it with Gold and VP when I feel like my deck can take the fat. I'm assuming the 3 in the 3/4 split is generally for Silver?

The idea is, Gold / Nothing isn't a great opening, but decent card / Gold is a pretty good opening. You can only buy Wedding on the turn you hit $4, and you want two cards in that first shuffle.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 10:08:19 pm »
+1

The idea is, Gold / Nothing isn't a great opening, but decent card / Gold is a pretty good opening. You can only buy Wedding on the turn you hit $4, and you want two cards in that first shuffle.
having 3 dept left over pretty much kills any chance of 5+ turn 3.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 10:50:14 pm »

I'm starting to think people are swallowing the Gold is OP with Wedding kool-aid. I don't think this event is all that good.

But wait, Seprix is that guy who hates Raid.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 11:07:34 pm »
+1

I'm starting to think people are swallowing the Gold is OP with Wedding kool-aid. I don't think this event is all that good.

But wait, Seprix is that guy who hates Raid.
Well if it's between one gold and two silvers(no attack or points involved) gold is probably better especially when you want to hit biggest price points and you want to be thin.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 11:12:07 pm »
+1

Debt isn't that bad. If you got something like Steward or Masquerade, you'll still have a productive second shuffle and you got to skip Silver, plus a point for later. I'm not saying Wedding is stellar, but I'll open it sometimes.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 12:09:24 am »

Debt isn't that bad. If you got something like Steward or Masquerade, you'll still have a productive second shuffle and you got to skip Silver, plus a point for later. I'm not saying Wedding is stellar, but I'll open it sometimes.

I think Limetime is suggesting that opening Gold/nothing can be better than Gold/$3 card pretty often because the former can pretty reliably hit $5 in the first shuffle whereas the latter may be stymied by that left over debt.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 07:45:54 am »
+1

I agree that it might be annoying to it five on turn 3 having to pay off three debt, but forgoing a Steward play on the second shuffle seems much worse than not hitting five on most boards.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 09:36:54 am »

Who said this board had a three cost better than silver?

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 10:19:32 am »
+1

How many % of the board don't have a two or three cost that is better than silver? Especially if your economy is a Gold?
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2016, 11:58:58 am »
+1

How many % of the board don't have a two or three cost that is better than silver? Especially if your economy is a Gold?

It can be better than Silver but still not worth having the debt block a $5. Steward is a really strong $3.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2016, 03:12:21 pm »
+1

Fun fact: Travelling Fair and Wedding nearly cancel each other out.

Explain?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2016, 03:33:59 pm »

Explain?
If you travelling fair then wedding, you gain a gold putting it on top of your deck for 6, and use the gold next turn to pay off the debt. The only differences are the VP and one less card next turn.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 09:48:58 pm »
+6

Explain?
If you travelling fair then wedding, you gain a gold putting it on top of your deck for 6, and use the gold next turn to pay off the debt. The only differences are the VP and one less card next turn.

Borrow for a Wedding at the Fair
Event - $0
+1 Buy
Once per turn: If your -1 Card token isn't on your deck, put it there and +1 VP.

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2016, 09:22:35 am »
+1

Wedding is a great way to gain Gold, when Gold is a good gain.  It's important to remember though that Gold is often not the best card for your deck, and the fact that you're paying for it over two turns, and the 1 VP, which are great bonuses, do not automatically make the Gold a better card once it's in your deck. 

diedre91

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Diedre
  • Respect: +69
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 09:59:40 am »

Wedding is a great way to gain Gold, when Gold is a good gain.  It's important to remember though that Gold is often not the best card for your deck, and the fact that you're paying for it over two turns, and the 1 VP, which are great bonuses, do not automatically make the Gold a better card once it's in your deck.

Sure! I certainly buy Wedding over a Gold (if I want Gold at all). The +1VP just seems a bonus.
I believe it is great for BM rush strategies once you can get the lead and the engine player may not catch up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:09:03 am by diedre91 »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 20 queries.