Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ambassador with 5/2 Start - What $5's give you a chance?  (Read 2850 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Ambassador with 5/2 Start - What $5's give you a chance?
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:22 pm »

After reading about Bahle being eliminated in IsoDome 3 partially due to a bad 5/2 opening split with ambassador and with a game I just played today, I started thinking about what $5 cost cards give you a chance to combat a double ambassador?

The game I played today featured Stables/Crossroads and although my opponent only went single ambassador, I am almost 100% confident that this would work against double ambassador.  With those cards, I was able to draw threw almost my entire deck and start greening well before he was able to.  I only picked an ambassador midway to pass curses back to him.

So my question is what $5 cost cards would you open with against a double ambassador and feel confident with your chances of winning?
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
Re: Ambassador with 5/2 Start - What $5's give you a chance?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:54:33 pm »

Would Trading Post work?  Seems like you could get a good density of silvers even with him junking up your deck.  And if he opened double Ambassador, he'll have some trouble getting money.

I suppose it would depend a lot on what else is out.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:54:42 pm »

Counting House!

I think it depends on the board. In some games I let my opponent Ambassador me because those extra Coppers and Estates doesn't hur too much and there's no engine-possibilities on the board. So they're basically throwing away a lot of turns trimming their deck so that they can build it up faster, while you build up from the beginning. In one game I played, I bought an Ambassador just so that my opponent would follow suit and then proceeded into Baron/Crossroads/Silk Road.

Trading Post could help you somewhat. Cache/Coppersmith could probably also work.

[EDIT:] Apparently Explorer works too.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:22:52 pm by Lekkit »

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:30:28 am »

I would feel pretty good with Governor. Early on against Amb you can draw cards without too much of a horrible effect in favor of your opponent since he is getting rid of cards anyway. Obviously an Ambassasor or two is needed ASAP and the Gold gaining ability also helps quite a bit later on. Given that Ambassador usually means a long game and Governor a short game, I will take my chances with Governor on that split.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:48:48 am »

Actually anything that can force a short game should be good: Governor, Vault, Embassy, Wharf, Council Room, Trading Post, Hunting Party...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:55:12 am by HiveMindEmulator »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 05:06:22 am »

A 5/2 player going first can buy an ambassador and compete anyway. Also, if the 4/3 player can't create an engine for the ambassador then most 5 cost cards can attempt to play through and just accumulate treasures faster.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:58:20 pm by DG »

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:31:32 am »

Didn't think it through, but what about Royal Seal, either topdecking an ambassador on turn 3 so it still appears in the next reshuffle, or simply going big money if early Gold or so is possible.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:37:34 am »

Minion: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120131-152432-820d2266.html

Granted, opening Ambassador/Farming Village probably wasn't the right move, but I think he played fine in general.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:47:56 am »

I've had success opening with a Hunting Party in this situation. Ambassador isn't as strong against HP, since you can skim through the extra coppers and estates.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:03:13 am »

Ambassador/- isn't certain doom, but I guess that's not a ringing endorsement. If there's extra actions at five and not at any lower cost, especially bazaar, I'd cross my fingers, pick one up, and pick up two ambassadors on the first shuffle.

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:50:14 pm »

Tried opening Margrave/Crossroads against Ambassadors, hoping that 3 card hands would slow him down.  That...didn't work so well.  Though maybe I should have gone for double Ambassador after that instead of single.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 03:08:41 pm »

Margrave probably doesn't do much to slow amb down. Unless there's a good $2 card, the turn you play ambassador is likely wasted in the early going, so the hand reduction doesnt hurt, and the extra card of cycling actually might help the other guy line up amb with double estate or double copper more easily.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.233 seconds with 21 queries.