Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Shrines of air/water/earth/fire  (Read 2523 times)

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
Shrines of air/water/earth/fire
« on: April 25, 2016, 06:33:17 am »
+4

Hi ; I thought to new cards and I came up with an idea of 4 different cards.

There are 3 Shrines of each kind (or rather "of each element"), they are shuffled into a 12-card pile, count as a Kingdom pile, and only the first one may be gained or bought. Exactly like Knights and Ruins.

They have a common effect and share a mat, and each shrine synergizes it own way with cards on the mat.

Air shrine
Action, cost $6
+1 card
+1 action
You may put a card from your hand on your Shrine mat.
+1 card per differently named card on your Shrine mat, then discard that many cards.

Water shrine
Action reaction cost $6
+1 card
+1 action
Take any number of cards from your Shrine mat into your hand, then put that many back.

Earth shrine
Action, cost $6
+1 card
+1 action
You may gain a non-victory card costing up to $1 per 2 cards (rounded down) on your Shrine mat.

Fire shrine
Action, cost $6
+1 card
+1 action
You may trash one of the cards from your Shrine mat costing up to $5. +$ equal to its cost.

So what do you think ?

Original versions below
Water shrine
Action reaction cost $6
+1 card
+1 action
You may exchange any number of cards between your hand and your Shrine mat.
(there were also a rules specification saying that you have to return cards on your mat at game end)

Fire shrine were worded "for every 2 cards" instead of "per 2 cards".
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:59:00 pm by ChocophileBenj »
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Shrines of air/water/earth/fire
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:53:34 am »
+3

I wouldn't use "exchange", because that's already an official Dominion keyword.

You could go with:

Water shrine
Action reaction cost $6
+1 card
+1 action
You may put any number of cards from your hand on your Shrine mat. Take an equal number of cards from your Shrine mat into your hand.

I'm confused, why is this a reaction? There's no reaction part. Did you intend the bottom part to be something that happens other than when you play the card?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:55:16 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 11:33:37 am »

Rules clarification : "exchange" means that you must have the same number of cards in your hand when you start and when you stop exchanging.
Don't listen to the rule lawyer fraction who thinks that "exchange A for B" should only apply for Travellers. The word is quite intuitive and perfectly fine for the card. Anybody of yours friends whom you play with will immediately get what it means.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 01:42:50 pm »
+3

Rules clarification : "exchange" means that you must have the same number of cards in your hand when you start and when you stop exchanging.
Don't listen to the rule lawyer fraction who thinks that "exchange A for B" should only apply for Travellers. The word is quite intuitive and perfectly fine for the card. Anybody of yours friends whom you play with will immediately get what it means.
Well, he has a point. Maybe just use a not already taken word that means the same thing, i.e. "Swap"
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 03:09:41 pm »

Water Shrine was first intended to be a Reaction and I dropped the reaction^^. I wanted something linked to "the next turn" and attacks but without being a reaction card.

Yes, "swap" is better (in fact in French the verb "échanger" means both "exchange" "trade" and "swap" and the word "swap" is closer to the French verb "permuter". )

Ok, which one do you prefer ?
-Swap any number of cards from your hand with the same number of cards from your mat
-Put any number of cards from your hand on your Shrine mat and that many cards from your Shrine mat into your hand.
-You may put any number of cards from your hand on your Shrine mat. Take an equal number of cards from your Shrine mat into your hand.

The 3rd one is GendoIkari's proposal, it seems a bit long to me so I dropped the "you may" (because it includes 0) and factorized the hand->mat and mat->hand clauses with the verb put to have the 2nd one.

On a side note : I forgot but cards on the mat are returned to deck as the game ends.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:12:49 pm by ChocophileBenj »
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 03:21:17 pm »
+1

Water Shrine was first intended to be a Reaction and I dropped the reaction^^. I wanted something linked to "the next turn" and attacks but without being a reaction card.

Yes, "swap" is better (in fact in French the verb "échanger" means both "exchange" "trade" and "swap" and the word "swap" is closer to the French verb "permuter". )

-Swap any number of cards from your hand with the same number of cards from your mat
-Put any number of cards from your hand on your Shrine mat and that many cards from your Shrine mat into your hand.
-You may put any number of cards from your hand on your Shrine mat. Take an equal number of cards from your Shrine mat into your hand.

The 3rd one is GendoIkari's proposal, it seems a bit long to me so I dropped the "you may" (because it includes 0) and factorized the hand->mat and mat->hand clauses with the verb put to have the 2nd one.

On a side note : I forgot but cards on the mat are returned to deck as the game ends.

I like swap. It's new terminology, but that's fine; if it were an official card it would juts be defined in the new rulebook, and it's much more clear than the full description I had proposed.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 03:21:52 pm »
+1

"Take any number of cards from your Shrine mat into your hand, then put that many back."

You don't have to add that to the card. It's in the Dominion rules that all set aside cards (including ones on mats) return to your deck at game end. Inheritance and Distant Lands do not specify, for instance.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 03:51:12 pm »
+1

"Take any number of cards from your Shrine mat into your hand, then put that many back."

Seems good. Thank you.
Also thank you for the side note as well. If cards had to be trashed, they would be.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.