Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fundraiser  (Read 1848 times)

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Fundraiser
« on: March 28, 2016, 05:41:21 am »
+1

$5 cost version
Fundraiser (Action $5)
+1 Action
+$2
You may discard an action card. If you do, +$2.
When you discard this other than during your Clean-up phase, take a Coin token.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $3 you overpaid, gain another copy of this.

$4 cost version
Fundraiser (Action $4)
+1 Action
+$2
You may discard an Action card from your hand. If you do, +$2.

When you buy this, +1 Buy. During your Buy phase, this costs $1 less for each Fundraiser you have gained this turn.

I like the idea of a card you can get more copies of for cheaper and that works well with itself ($5 version with on-discard effect).

I’m not quite sure if this would be OP or UP. I am considering replacing +1 Action with +1 Buy in one or another version.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 04:44:44 pm »

The second version isn't good because you can just buy all 10 at once pretty easily (you just need $10). It also doesn't have a "but not less than $0" in the cost reduction.

In general, discarding an action card for $2 is going to be a very weak effect... it just turns all your action cards into Silvers. Most action cards are better than Silver. It will be great with Ruins of course, and it protects you from terminal collision.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:04:37 pm »
+2

In general, discarding an action card for $2 is going to be a very weak effect... it just turns all your action cards into Silvers. Most action cards are better than Silver. It will be great with Ruins of course, and it protects you from terminal collision.

The design seems to be a Silver+ or Gold- for $5.  You want to use Fundraiser to discard other Fundraisers, making them worth +$3 instead of the +$2 that they normally are.  I think the concept is pretty good.

@beri, this should be a Reaction like Tunnel.  Note that it would have to have two dividing lines, one for the discard reaction and one for the overpay.  The overpay is already not so elegant and inconsistent with other overpays since it counts in increments of $3.  I get that you want to make it easier to obtain multiples so the synergy will shine, but I don't think it's necessary.  I'd drop it to streamline the card and avoid the double dividing lines.

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 06:08:25 pm »

Right about the second version, I will probably stick with the first one.
The point is that Fundraiser works well with itself, hence its discard effect, which might be pimped a little bit to 2 coins or 2 coin tokens.

Fundraiser (Action–Reaction $5)
+1 Buy
+$2
You may discard an action card. If you do, +$2.

When you discard this other than during your Clean-up phase, take two Coin tokens.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $3 you overpaid, gain another copy of this.
or
Fundraiser (Action–Reaction $5)
+1 Action
+$2
You may discard an action card. If you do, +$2, +1 Buy.

I'd drop it to streamline the card and avoid the double dividing lines.
My initial idea was the pay cheaper to get another copy (first $5, second $3), i.e. two for the price of a Province. And secondarily, this card should work well with itself.
The on-discard effect is just there because the primary effect implies discarding, so if anything should be changed, it would be the latter to avoid needing the former. Any ideas are welcome until I find some.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:44:03 am by beri »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 07:56:17 am »

LastFootnote had an old image for fund that got replaced. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/818178/fan-expansion-enterprise
You might want to consider reducing the font a bit to make the text fit.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.666 seconds with 21 queries.