Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Alchemy Cards: Potion  (Read 7868 times)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Alchemy Cards: Potion
« on: April 28, 2016, 02:39:55 pm »
+4

Did you shuffle up a Felix Felicis or Draught of Living Death?

-----

When you go for Potion-cost action cards, do you always open Potion?
When do you buy more than 1 Potion?
Is the variance Potion adds to the game good or bad for Dominion as a whole?
Have you ever resigned after drawing 1P?
Do you want to see Potions utilized in future expansions?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Alchemy Cards: Potion
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:43:01 pm »
+1

I would like to see more cards utilize Potion, but to be honest, it would detract from other useful cards in a set, so if it is to be done, there should be another special use for the Potion card.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:52:36 pm »
+4

Potion is very interesting in Vineyards games where Vineyards is the only P-coster.
Once you get that Potion, you're tipping your hand, so I usually get them close to a reshuffle and hopefully just after an opponent reshuffle.

I like the variety that Potion brings, I just wish there were more Potion-costers so they can end up in more games together.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 03:11:26 am »
+8

I like Potion games.
I love cards where Potion is more than just extra opportunity cost, but rather an interesting twist in how the card works, as seen in Alchemist, Vineyard, and Apothecary, to some extent.
Some cards work well even just using Potion as an extra access barrier, like Possession, Scrying Pool, and University.
For some others I think the coin price is too steep, resulting in unsure results after your big Potion investment. I think I would prefer Familiar at 2P and Golem at 3P. Alchemist at 2P would probably make Dominion a slightly happier place too.

Philosopher stone just doesn't work too well with a Potion cost.
Transmute just doesn't work too well, but man, I wish it did.

I'd love a few more Potion cards. I think Alchemy suffered from having a few unpolished cards (and a few slow cards), rather than due to Potions alone.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 07:36:47 am »

I like Potion games.
I love cards where Potion is more than just extra opportunity cost, but rather an interesting twist in how the card works, as seen in Alchemist, Vineyard, and Apothecary, to some extent.
Some cards work well even just using Potion as an extra access barrier, like Possession, Scrying Pool, and University.
For some others I think the coin price is too steep, resulting in unsure results after your big Potion investment. I think I would prefer Familiar at 2P and Golem at 3P. Alchemist at 2P would probably make Dominion a slightly happier place too.

I'd love a few more Potion cards. I think Alchemy suffered from having a few unpolished cards (and a few slow cards), rather than due to Potions alone.
I like Potion games.

If I agree with your post am I supposed to give each one respect?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 07:55:55 am »
+6

I like Potion games.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 09:37:12 am »
+14

I like Potion games.

I couldn't agree more.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 04:50:36 pm »
+2

When do you buy more than 1 Potion?
Only if there are Potion cards worth going after.  E.g. Familiar with no good defense against it

If you're going to be heavily vested in where they matter... to buy Vineyards more quickly, especially with +Buys.  Alchemists so you can trigger the "recycling" of them.

If I want to have more Potion-cost cards, having 2 helps with that.  Otherwise, if I just want a small quantity of Potion-cost cards, I stick with just 1 Potion.

Is the variance Potion adds to the game good or bad for Dominion as a whole?
Have you ever resigned after drawing 1P?
Do you want to see Potions utilized in future expansions?
I like it.  We already have cards on the higher variance side, with one extreme being Treasure Map.

No to $1, 1p.  Supposedly, my next hand will be kickass, even if it's without a Potion.  But still, it is a bit dejecting.  No different than getting the "dreaded 7".

Yes.  Moar potions please!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 11:28:39 pm »
+6

I think there are exactly the right number of Potion cards. I think it's important to keep cards using a second kind of resource scarce in Dominion. It is a critical flaw of other deck-building card games and it takes some care to do it "right", which I think Dominion succeeded in doing, but there are only so many ideas on how to do that. There shouldn't be like generic peddler variants or any random garbage costing 2P instead of 4. I love how it makes the Alchemy cards work differently, introduces opportunity cost, etc.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 09:44:25 am »
+2

I think there are exactly the right number of Potion cards. I think it's important to keep cards using a second kind of resource scarce in Dominion.

I agree with your second statement, but I'm not sure I agree that the first statement is as true as it once was. As more and more cards get added, the percentage of those cards that have potion costs decreases. I like having periodic games with multiple potion cards, it makes buying decisions slightly different, but full random seems to only result in games with none or just one now.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 09:47:13 am »
+1

Well, we got another set with Durations after Seaside, and we're getting another set with VP tokens after Prosperity. Perhaps the set that comes after Empires will be a set that utilizes Potion.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 10:05:17 am »

Well, we got another set with Durations after Seaside, and we're getting another set with VP tokens after Prosperity. Perhaps the set that comes after Empires will be a set that utilizes Potion.

But there should be a twist of sorts, because you don't want to include the exact same Potions all over again. What about a card that gives you a third currency, but gets trashed when you play it?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 10:29:52 am »
+3

I think there are exactly the right number of Potion cards.

See, I first read this as meaning Dominion has exactly the right number of "Potion" cards. And I'm thinking, I've never come close to getting through the stack of 16 Potions.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 11:37:01 am »
+1

I think there are exactly the right number of Potion cards.

See, I first read this as meaning Dominion has exactly the right number of "Potion" cards. And I'm thinking, I've never come close to getting through the stack of 16 Potions.

One time I emptied the Potions with Messenger in a PhilStone game.  It probably wasn't that good, but it was so fun.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 02:45:31 am »
+2

I think there are exactly the right number of Potion cards. I think it's important to keep cards using a second kind of resource scarce in Dominion. It is a critical flaw of other deck-building card games and it takes some care to do it "right", which I think Dominion succeeded in doing, but there are only so many ideas on how to do that. There shouldn't be like generic peddler variants or any random garbage costing 2P instead of 4. I love how it makes the Alchemy cards work differently, introduces opportunity cost, etc.

I agree with you, Vanilla cards do not work well with Potion. After Cultist, Transmute is the card that boggles my mind the most how it ever got into the game.

I think the expansions just came too early, at the moment the relation of  potion cards/non-potion cards is great, but the relation gets smaller and smaller. In my dream world, we would get another small Alchemy expansion at some point.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 09:42:10 am »
+1

I was going to say that adding more potion cards would mean there'd be a chance of an all potion-cost kingdom, when I realized there are enough of them for that to happen already.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 07:27:18 pm »

I was going to say that adding more potion cards would mean there'd be a chance of an all potion-cost kingdom, when I realized there are enough of them for that to happen already.
FWIW, in more cases than not, it seems if the Potions are gone and you wanted one, it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference by then anyways.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.