Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 356016 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #6200 on: December 21, 2023, 02:00:45 pm »

Ok, let's turn it around. How surprised would you be if the court decides that Trump isn't allowed to run?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: December 21, 2023, 06:17:42 pm »

Ok, let's turn it around. How surprised would you be if the court decides that Trump isn't allowed to run?
Well, it's not completely impossible, but it would be a pretty big surprise.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: December 21, 2023, 06:22:11 pm »

Let's say, it would be pretty much impossible that the House of Representatives votes to condemn Trump. Compared to that, it's more likely that the Supreme Court rules against Trump. But still quite unlikely.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: December 21, 2023, 06:39:53 pm »

Unfortunately I'd put it at only 30% so we probably won't have the surprise

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: December 22, 2023, 11:22:51 am »

So do you know these geometrical shifting shapes that some players offer as screensavers or as auto-generated music videos?

Turns out you get them by just simulating a wave spreading radially outward starting from a point mass. I just implemented this because reasons, and man it looks exactly like those screensavers. You don't even need to implement boundaries and reflections at the edges, it's just the normal behavior without any boundary conditions.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: December 22, 2023, 11:24:36 am »

Also I spend an entire day just puzzling over why this didn't work, and it the end it was a totally benign programming error. Man I was so sure it was a physics thing because the code isn't complicated and also the behavior I got didn't look like what you'd have if there's a mistake for several reasons. But no, it's just an error. I set the pointer of one array to another array instead of copying the array. And when I say I did, I mean GPT-4 did. Twice. I had it implement the same thing twice to check for programming errors, and it made the same mistake both times. ughhhh

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: December 22, 2023, 11:30:42 am »

So do you know these geometrical shifting shapes that some players offer as screensavers or as auto-generated music videos?

Turns out you get them by just simulating a wave spreading radially outward starting from a point mass. I just implemented this because reasons, and man it looks exactly like those screensavers. You don't even need to implement boundaries and reflections at the edges, it's just the normal behavior without any boundary conditions.

It's kinda hilarious because without boundary conditions, you have some kind of strange behavior, where the wave disappears out of the screen, but then it leaves behind  negative wave, and I don't completely understand it, but it's probably not something with too many practical applications. And yet it turns out that this progression is the most visually interesting if you plot it. I bet 20% of screensavers are a variation of this, and at least 5% are probably exactly this with another color scheme.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6207 on: December 24, 2023, 03:26:20 pm »

I was listening to a music stream with random Japanese music, and it took me about 3-5 seconds to correctly recognize the composer of a Yuki Kajiura song I had never heard before (there's a bit of silence at the start of the video, so it would have been at around the 0:07 mark of the video). To be fair, this one is very aggressively characteristic of her style, I probably couldn't recognize her this fast from her average piece.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6208 on: December 24, 2023, 03:29:52 pm »

(for an approximate confidence level, my reaction to hearing the first few seconds was more like "holy ShiT, it's Kajiura" than "I wonder if this is Kajiura")
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: December 25, 2023, 10:56:29 am »

Given the abundance of scam calls I still get, I have to link to this. It's also just really cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrZZan7QfEo

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6210 on: December 25, 2023, 12:17:18 pm »

Last night I dreamt that I was at my chess club to play my next slow game, but except for me, everyone else was just playing Catan instead. I was walking around and then someone asked me whether you're allowed to place a settlement when all the little number chips are gone (because they were playing the variant were you sail to other areas and then remove the chips). I said yes. Later, I saw that your settlements are actually getting destroyed when the three adjacent areas no longer contained any number chips, so I presumably given away false info.

And then it was finally time for my chess game, my opponent just refused to play.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: December 25, 2023, 12:31:27 pm »

Leave the World Behind (2023)

"What are you doing?"

"Well, I couldn't sleep. And it is been such a hellish year for us as you know, and I just seem to be working every day without realizing it, and you are just constantly anxious about your job because of all the budget cuts, so I went online this morning [...]"

Awesome opening dialogue. Solid 0/10. Not really since I've watched less than a minute, but come on.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: December 25, 2023, 12:32:25 pm »

Yes I resubscribed to Netflix for a month, but I intend to cancel

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: December 25, 2023, 12:34:36 pm »

There really is something to the idea that ignorance is bliss. Imagine how many people can just listen to this and not realize what's wrong with it. If I had worse pattern recognition, I wouldn't find so many stories boring.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: December 25, 2023, 01:04:19 pm »

The real genius is just to have severe dementia; then you can watch your favorite thing over and over again.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: December 25, 2023, 04:00:15 pm »

This is the best piece on poker theory I've seen! And I've actually seen a bunch. I think I need to start playing again.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: December 25, 2023, 04:04:34 pm »

After watching this, I can tell I was actually making significant errors last time I played. What eventually happened with the 100$ down swing that I remember posting is still ridiculous, but nonetheless, it's very nice to know that there's significant room for improvement on the theory side without getting to super high level theory.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: December 30, 2023, 08:19:03 pm »

Spirit Island truly is the ultimate game

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: December 31, 2023, 09:02:54 am »

Imagine it's the day of judgment, and all the Christians watch in awe as Jesus descends from heaven...

... and then he starts establishing a regime of strict Sharia law as prophesied in the Hadiths texts. All the Chrstians would be like

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: December 31, 2023, 09:25:50 am »

This doesn't help me play better poker, but it's quite interesting. Far more interesting than I expected. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZZ4y5GfdOU

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6221 on: December 31, 2023, 01:58:14 pm »

Happy new year!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: January 01, 2024, 04:47:51 am »

Happy new year!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: January 01, 2024, 04:48:54 am »

All the relatives are gone, time to get back to work

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: January 01, 2024, 11:47:00 am »

Death Note: The Last Name (2006)

This was both better and worse than the first movie. On the positive side, I found it much more gripping, which may also be because the plot diverges more so I didn't know what was coming. And it did a pretty good job adapting a lot of story into one movie all things considered. You had to make several changes to the plot to make this work, and they did, and none of them is terrible.

On the negative side, it still doesn't have the same impact, especially in the second half. Like if it suffers remarkably little from being shorter, and in that sense it's impressive, but it still suffers some. I just cared more about everyone in the anime because I spent more time with them.

There were also a few odd pieces -- like, Rem says in the movie that she only cares about Misa because of some other Shinigami, implying that she doesn't care as much as in the anime (manga?) but then she sacrifices her life for her anyway. I guess she was lying, but why make the change? Also, why make it so the ending is decided by Ryuk? Neither is a big deal, but both were easily avoidable.

Also, there's one or two moments where they include some terrible music which took me completely out of it. Not a huge deal bc it was short but it was bad while it lasted.

My biggest complaint continues to be that L isn't as good of a character. He just feels much more gimmick-y and less relatable. The plans and deductions are still all solid though, so we're starting from a very high baseline.

Overall pretty great. Solid 8/10. But imo the anime is altogether better.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.