Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 356118 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #5700 on: June 23, 2023, 02:13:03 pm »

I don't expect the show to ever get good again, either. Usually it's a one-way street. Good thing I didn't buy a Netflix subscription for it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: June 26, 2023, 05:01:23 am »

Here's another thing about GPT-4 -- which is in some sense obvious, but probably something you intuitively get wrong if you don't think about it

It doesn't have any consistency. When I talked to it about practical internet problems, we briefly touched upon passwords and it regurgitated the old bs about putting symbols into passwords. But I just tried asking it (in a new chat) about the commonly given but objective terrible advice for passwords (without specifying what it is), and it immediately guessed the symbol thing and gave a stellar explanation of why it's stupid

So one the one hand, of course this can happen, but on the other hand, you kind of intuitively expect that it always gives you the best information it has, and it basically just doesn't. It's probably more like, in the practical issues context, its source data was practically inclined people who don't know anything about entropy and password security, so it drew from that place in the training data. Whereas in this above case, it probably drew from places where people had that exact conversation about passwords online.

The related and deeper issue here is how information is internally organized. Does it have a cluster of weights that encode "password" and related information, or does it have several separate clusters depending on the surrounding context? The above suggests the latter. And if that's true, it suggests a really alien mind.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: June 26, 2023, 05:09:00 am »

Putting it concisely, if a human learns a thing and then a second thing that contradicts the first thing -- and if it's a very boring topic with no emotional attachment and confirmation bias at play -- they'll usually update. If GPT-4 learns a thing and then a second thing that contradicts the first, it kinda doesn't have to update because the first thing still has predictive validity in the contexts where people say it.

However, it may or may not also know that the first thing is false, and if so, it may be possible to "align" it such that it doesn't say the first thing, either with clever prompts or as part of the RLHF.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: June 26, 2023, 10:45:08 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: June 28, 2023, 04:22:07 am »

Close! The name of the previous paper was "Ephaptic coupling of cortical neurons", and it was about how pyramidal neurons can communicate in ways that don't utilize physical synaptic connections.

This one I don't get it. GPT-4 did an amazing job walking me through both papers, and then doesn't know what the previous one is called and just makes stuff up that has zero connection ???

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: June 28, 2023, 04:25:10 am »

whelp every time I redo the response it just confidently makes up something else

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5706 on: July 01, 2023, 02:55:55 pm »

In other news, you can't view posts on Twitter unless you're logged in, and if you are logged in, you're limited to viewing 600 tweets per day or 6000 if you're paying $8. Thanks Elon!

What an absolute circus.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: July 01, 2023, 03:17:57 pm »

That seems like it almost certainly has a net positive effect since it will make people use twitter less

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: July 01, 2023, 03:18:46 pm »

In fact I think that settles it for me. I conceptually won the bet.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5709 on: July 01, 2023, 04:47:09 pm »

In fact I think that settles it for me. I conceptually won the bet.

The bet was specifically about the user experience on Twitter.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5710 on: July 01, 2023, 04:55:55 pm »

Also "the platform gets completely ShaT up and people leave it" being a positive outcome was my idea.

The best scenario I can see here is that Musk and his haters manage to completely ShiT up the platform to the point where it just more or less dies out, which will create the space for a decentralized platform to thrive. But I don't think that's very likely, unfortunately.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: July 01, 2023, 05:15:46 pm »

hm you're right. I withdraw my point.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: July 03, 2023, 02:07:21 pm »

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

This movie is incredibly stupid. Like holy shit. I knew it was stupid going in, but I didn't realize how stupid. Everything is just so dumb. The plot isn't a coherent story with a few plot holes; it's a sequence of story pieces of which almost none work. The sailing stuff and the battles are also nonsensical. I vaguely remember being super invested the first time I've seen this many years ago. Whelp.

I feel like the best thing about this is the costume design.  Also maybe the music, but the way it blasts at the end over scenes that don't at all justify it is weird.

And ofc the entire premise is broken at its core. It wants to have this guy be a pirate but also a good guy, which makes no sense because the definition of piracy, at least in this movie, is to go around and murder people.

I was sort of waiting for the moment that Jack double-crosses the bad guy, but the way he does it makes no sense either, so it didn't really work.

I also hate everything about Orlando Bloom.

The movie is sort of fun but uhh man. 5/10 I guess.

I'm torrenting Master and Commander right now, which is supposedly a dark, realistic drama thing also involving sea battles. We'll see how good that is.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: July 03, 2023, 05:29:48 pm »

Hey, remember how I complained about GPT-4 thinking that people used to fight large battles with swords? Turns out this is another password issue; it depends on how you ask it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: July 04, 2023, 11:58:01 am »

A bit less than halfway through Master and Commander, and yeah this movie is such a perfect opposite of the Pirates movie that it kinda feels like the two films themselves exist as part of a meta-movie.

I do sometimes get this feeling that these more serious movies are giving something up, as if you can't also have memorable characters in a serious story. But I know that's not true because there are examples of movies/shows that do both (GoT being the obvious example). This one just doesn't really work for me on that level, I'm not connecting with the characters. That's even though there are clearly scenes that exist to flesh them out; it's not like aren't trying. Idk. Anyway, the viewing experience is still pretty good without that, I just feel like it could be more.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5715 on: July 04, 2023, 02:02:25 pm »

Master and Commander (2003)

So despite this being a pretty mature film, it still falls under pretty light entertainment for me. It's just a pretty good 2 hour thriller. I'll give it a weak 7/10.

Most of the movie takes place on a single ship, so one thing this does is just give you an impression of what that's like. As far as I can tell, the sailing and battling tactics are all real (and yes, there are actual tactics). Also there's a ton of people on these ships; presumably you just need a lot of of manpower for everything; sailing, cooking, cleaning, firing, etc.

Random bits:

There's one guy who gets hurt in the first battle, has his arm removed in operation, and never even complains about it and he's pretty much the most badass character in the film.

There's also a guy who shoots at a bird when they're close to land, but instead he hits and almost kills the doctor. It's a bit weird that the perpetrator then just doesn't show up again. I mean yeah it may make sense not to punish him, but you'd think there'd be at least some consequences.

The music was a weird one; some parts I really liked, but at other times it felt super cheesy and I just wanted there to be no music at all. At one point, someone falls overboard but could probably still make it, but they have to let him die to ensure the ship doesn't sink. It's a good idea, but the presentation could have been more powerful, and then the music sounded so cheesy that it completely took me out of it, and in retrospect it's one of my least favorite scenes

Have someone else play the main character and change some minor stuff, and it probably could have been a strong 8.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: July 06, 2023, 05:58:38 am »

Ok, that's it. I'm out of ideas.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5717 on: July 06, 2023, 07:58:51 am »

Ok, that's it. I'm out of ideas.

I'll let you borrow this idea: rejoin MasN Hub

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: July 06, 2023, 10:27:34 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: July 10, 2023, 10:15:05 am »

So there's white noise, brown noise, pink noise, blue noise, violet noise, grey noise, and some people say black noise for silence.

but brown noise is actually named after Robert Brown

???

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: July 10, 2023, 10:59:54 am »

So there's white noise, brown noise, pink noise, blue noise, violet noise, grey noise, and some people say black noise for silence.

but brown noise is actually named after Robert Brown

???
Just looked at Wikipedia, which had this helpful information:
Brownian noise, also known as Brown noise or red noise, is the type of signal noise produced by Brownian motion
So uh you can stick to colors if you want to.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: July 18, 2023, 01:37:46 pm »

I did not know this!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5722 on: July 18, 2023, 06:09:23 pm »

I did not know this!

You didn't know that UV radiation causes skin cancer?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: July 19, 2023, 03:33:39 am »

I did not. I knew sun burn damages your DNA, but I always thought tanning was just a good thing that protects you from getting sun burn. I think someone told me this forever ago, like over a decade ago, and I never questioned it.

(You can now make a comment about how I'd probably know this if I'd read the news!)

btw if this is well known, was it well known 10 years ago? I assume most people who deliberately seek out tanning don't know it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5724 on: July 19, 2023, 12:18:23 pm »

(You can now make a comment about how I'd probably know this if I'd read the news!)

You'd probably know this if you'd read the news! This is the main reason why anyone was ever worried about ozone depletion.

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.