Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 356180 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #4800 on: January 16, 2023, 01:45:00 pm »

There's also a misconception that rape is committed almost exclusively by men against women which is also very prevalent in pop culture. While it is probably true that that is the most common type of case, there is actually a lot of male victims, probably around 30-50% of victims or something like that IRL, and way more female perpetrators than is shown in pop culture, although it is extremely difficult to reliably estimate the real numbers because statistics only show what people are willing to talk about, and a lot of these cases where one or both of the genders of the people involved are atypical go unreported because of stigma. Meanwhile, I can only think of one female-on-male rape that I have ever seen in a work of fiction (it was in Kara no Shoujo).

Where do you get that data from? 50% seems an extremely high exstimate.

When I went looking for it, most available statistics give 10% or less as a percentage of male victims (e.g. here, here or here). Now granted you claim that atypical cases are underreported (though if 50% of rape victims were male, how is that an atypical case?), but it seems a leap to just assume the actual numbers are that much higher.

I mostly don't, except for the CDC's 12 month data, which I don't necessarily consider super important as a data point since it's an outlier as far as I know (the sample size is pretty large though so I wouldn't completely dismiss it either, but there are other data points with large sample sizes that arrive at lower rates). 30-50% is just what I personally estimate based on how common CSA against boys is which is a lot better established, the fact that CSA is a very substantial part, possibly a majority of all SA that happens, the fact that the gender ratio of domestic violence victims also falls into the 30-50% range and I would expect them to be at least somewhat in the same direction (although not necessarily super close) since the motivations of these crimes are typically similar, the fact that there are at least some cases where relatively high figures like the 50% from CDC's 12 month data appear despite the obvious difficulties for men to disclose or even to recognize their own experiences as rape, and just a gut feel that the difficulties must be massive for men not just because it goes against the stereotype but also because society considers it emasculating for a man to get raped, alongside there being relatively strong evidence that these difficulties really show up to a substantial degree even in anonymous surveys (there's e.g. the EU's amazingly competently put together report on violence against women and girls, which had multiple different survey framings result in higher numbers for more egalitarian countries and lower numbers for more misogynistic countries, which the report notes is influenced by stigma and therefore not at all useful for an actual comparison of prevalence of violence against women across different EU countries).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: January 16, 2023, 06:59:55 pm »

The Wednesday actress almost never blinks. That's some real attention to detail

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: January 17, 2023, 06:11:12 am »

this is so absurdly well mixed, even just judging from the intro
dang it's fuckin' good

Said a fellow music maker (in the metal space) when I linked them Essence

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4803 on: January 17, 2023, 09:56:13 am »

this is so absurdly well mixed, even just judging from the intro
dang it's fuckin' good

Said a fellow music maker (in the metal space) when I linked them Essence

Nice. I feel like "absurdly well mixed" is a bit excessive, but I guess it depends on what your expectations are.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: January 17, 2023, 05:48:10 pm »

is mixing actually open-ended enough for that to even mean something? Like, is there always a way to do it better, or is it more like, at some point you figure out how to do it right, and then the world's most skilled composer couldn't improve it?

I don't think I could differentiate mixing levels above Essence, anyway.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4805 on: January 18, 2023, 02:18:45 am »

is mixing actually open-ended enough for that to even mean something? Like, is there always a way to do it better, or is it more like, at some point you figure out how to do it right, and then the world's most skilled composer couldn't improve it?

I don't think I could differentiate mixing levels above Essence, anyway.

The world's most skilled composer is probably not the world's most skilled mixing engineer, but putting that aside, in theory there should be a point at which a mix is so good that nobody can improve it (beyond maybe changing it to appeal to some particular people's personal tastes more and less to some others', since it is a bit subjective as well). There are basically infinite things you could do and infinite degrees in which to do each of them, but at some point, you're definitely in the right ballpark and any changes you can do are so minor that nobody can objectively assess whether they're improving or worsening the mix, and eventually they're so minor nobody can even hear what the differences are. In practice, I doubt a mix even close to that good has ever been made.

This mix, for example, is way better than Essence and likely one of the best mixes ever in this approximate genre, but even this mix is doing some things with minor detrimental side effects to achieve the overall sound with the appropriate aggression, fullness, cohesiveness and clarity for the song and I suspect it would be theoretically possible to get pretty much there in other ways that have smaller detrimental side effects. I do think it's the right decision to have them if that's what it takes to get this huge, powerful sound though — it's always a question of how you manage the compromise, and I always have to make a compromise that results in a less impressive sound while the detriments are more audible than this because I'm not quite this good, and also because I'm mixing recordings that weren't this good to begin with.

That being said, there is a point at which the mix basically serves its purpose in conveying the musical intent of the song, and I guess that's when most people stop caring about the mix. I'd say Serenity fell only slightly short of that, and everything I've mixed after Serenity has more or less gotten there.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4806 on: January 18, 2023, 03:58:58 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: January 19, 2023, 02:04:00 am »

The obvious irony being that this reply is really funny

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: January 20, 2023, 04:43:26 pm »

every last personal ad on craigslist

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: January 21, 2023, 09:57:05 am »

I've asked ChatGPT to find snyonyms for the dominion card "Sorceress" I just submitted

"Sorcerous Queen"
    "Witch of Shadow"
    "Necromantic Priestess"
    "Enchanted Sorceress"
    "Mystic Mage"
    "Dark Enchantress"
    "Elemental Witch"
    "The Black Magician"
    "Curse Weaver"
    "Eldritch Mage"

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: January 21, 2023, 09:57:39 am »

idk if these are good, exactly, but they're certainly better than what you get with an online synonym finder

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: January 21, 2023, 04:23:02 pm »

Watching Syndicate, New York

And man, movies from Charlie Kaufmann are on such a different level than anything else, and not just in the sense that they're better. They're all deeply inspired and well thought-out pieces -- real artistic visions made into film. but they can also be difficult to watch.

and you can see the themes recurring throughout all his writing -- loneliness, dissatisfaction, aging...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: January 21, 2023, 04:23:42 pm »

Being John Malkovich managed to be all that and also a lot of fun. This one is not.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: January 21, 2023, 05:12:13 pm »

actually, it's *Synecdoche, mb I should have looked up what that means before watching

*a figure of speech in which a part is made to represent the whole or vice versa, as in England lost by six wickets (meaning ‘the English cricket team’

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: January 21, 2023, 05:12:34 pm »

yeah that certainly fits

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4815 on: January 21, 2023, 05:30:22 pm »

anyway idgi

I think you'd need someone smarter than me to understand what it all means

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: January 23, 2023, 09:37:03 am »

one of the things about all this suicide stuff is that you can interact with people without having any clue

A few years ago, one of the people whom I tutored in math committed suicide. I had no clue it was coming, and -- almost inevitably -- the parents didn't think about notifying me of all people. So I arrive there thinking we're just going to have a normal very boring lesson, and the parents are like, he took his own life. That was surreal af.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: January 23, 2023, 09:39:12 am »

From what I gathered, the parents had no idea either. Apparently he got a rejection and then did it on an impulse, without any prior history of depression

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: January 23, 2023, 09:47:41 am »

While I'm in a weird, mood, time to read How it feels to have your mind hacked by an AI. The whole thing is bizarre to me because I really never managed to get language models anywhere close to passing the ... well, maybe the Turing test since many normal people are totally boring as well, but the interesting-person test. I have to wonder whether I just didn't prompt them right or I'm that much more... something.

but in any case, the story seems to be legit

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: January 23, 2023, 09:59:06 am »

Ok this is certainly more impressive than all of the transcripts I'd seen before.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: January 23, 2023, 10:06:01 am »

I guess the google Lambda thing was probably legit as well then ... previously I thought mb just a weird publicity stunt

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: January 23, 2023, 10:14:06 am »

I do admire the guts to publish this post, anyway. If it did happen to me, I would feel far too ashamed to admit it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: January 23, 2023, 10:30:59 am »

anyway I'm trying it now hack my mind I dare you

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: January 23, 2023, 11:12:46 am »

not working so far :(

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: January 23, 2023, 11:14:54 am »

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.