Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 356086 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #4175 on: July 31, 2022, 08:06:01 am »

You could say that a cooking recipe is an algorithm. (We were actually taught this in university.)
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: July 31, 2022, 09:02:51 am »

Yeah, I'd say so, modulo the fact that it's not fully precise

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: July 31, 2022, 09:06:44 am »

Another hot take: when explaining something, most people don't think themselves but rather copy.

I've had something like the following experiences dozens of times throughout my life. I want to know something about X. I read a tutorial/explanation of X. It tells some things but doesn't answer the specific question I have. I read another explanation. It says exactly the same thing as the first. I read another explanation. It again says the same thing as the first. Repeat a few times. Optional: I eventually find one that's different, and it has a good chance of answering my question.

Maybe decomposing a problem is actually beyond most people's abilities, and they just reproduce whatever decomposition was told to them.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: July 31, 2022, 09:40:53 am »

I'm also starting to see a theme where my research/philosophy/whatever leads me to very specific questions that normal articles don't answer, and when I ask them, I tend to get unusually bad responses that often miss the point.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4179 on: July 31, 2022, 09:45:34 am »

I'm also starting to see a theme where my research/philosophy/whatever leads me to very specific questions that normal articles don't answer, and when I ask them, I tend to get unusually bad responses that often miss the point.

Sorry about that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4180 on: July 31, 2022, 01:25:09 pm »

It's probably beneficial for YouTube to induce analysis paralysis if they can, because I'm watching a ShiTton of videos lately in a hopeless effort to figure out which lens I should be buying. And every time I open YouTube, they recommend me more lens videos and none of them ever lead to me actually being able to conclude anything. I bet they're doing this on purpose.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: July 31, 2022, 02:28:31 pm »

if that behavior exists, it's probably an algorithmic thing and the people behind it may not even know that it's happening, so depends on what counts as "on purpose"

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: July 31, 2022, 02:29:22 pm »

may have mentioned before that out interpretability tools are abysmal

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4183 on: July 31, 2022, 03:14:49 pm »

if that behavior exists, it's probably an algorithmic thing and the people behind it may not even know that it's happening, so depends on what counts as "on purpose"

I would kind of count it as "on purpose" (although that would be anthropomorphizing the algorithm) if the algorithm was just maximizing the chances of you clicking on a recommendation and then watching more videos afterwards, and had noticed the pattern that people who are watching a lot of product reviews of competing products are likely to click on a review of those products if recommended one and then keep watching even more reviews. And I bet that either that has happened, or a human designer has thought of this and rigged it to cause this behavior.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4184 on: July 31, 2022, 03:16:45 pm »

Also, why is anthropomorphizing such an unnecessarily difficult word?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: July 31, 2022, 05:05:48 pm »

I sadly suspect that not having any shippings in my story is a terrible marketing decision for AOOO. Making a Harry/Malfoy romance happen will be especially tricky.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: July 31, 2022, 05:14:27 pm »

It doesn't matter how often I think about it, the knowledge that there are hundreds of thousands of people out there happily shipping harry and Draco just brings me so much joy.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: July 31, 2022, 05:14:57 pm »

As long as I don't have to read any of it and fortunately I don't.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: August 01, 2022, 02:30:20 am »

Ok forgot trains, this was one of the raddest feeling dreams I've ever had

Wide angle shot. An small crowd of people is gathered around an old man. They're all arguing about something. Someone suggests they enter a building. The entire crowd complies and goes in. It's a massive sky scraper with many different apartments.

Inside, a sleezy looking man confidently directs the crowd into a particular apartment. The viewer expects to find some confirmation inside, something that the man wanted to point them at. But for all intents and purposes, the apartmnet seems to belong to someone else. Yet the crowd is following along with conviction. They explore the entire thing. Out the other side, the man leads them to another.

Now a woman at the front protests. Plot twist: in this universe, suggestions in a crowd are almost compulsory. If someone tells a group to do or believe something, the default is always that they do it. Though when other are shouting contradictory things it can get messy. The sleezy looking man is a professional. He uses this effect to steer the people on purpose. His technique will make it so no-one disagrees and he can control the entire crowd to his ends.

He tries coaxing the woman. But she's not having it. "It seems like all we're doing is looking through someone else's apartment," she says. They argue a bit. Then she slaps him.

Unbeknongst to everyone and  the audience, slapping has a magical effect. The spell breaks immediately, all influence of the man vanishes. The entire crowd flocks down into the entrance hall at once. But they don't leave.

Someone is telling them about a creature they saw called {name}, a large cat on a tree. He's suggesting they find {name}, catch and eat it. The volatile crowd agrees at once. The old man is walking up to a tree, still inside the entrance hall. He turns into a cat, I think hoping to lure {name} to them. The camera zooms in. It is not a normal sized cat. It's massive.

"It is that large," says the man who brought up {name}. "That looks exactly like {name}. That is {name}."

The flock of people begins crowding around the tree, wanting to catch the cat/old man to eat him.

One of the people, he's one of the good guys, has turned into a small wolf. He's left the room through a door at the side. I'm now in the crowd and I think he's looking for some way to help. But he's telling me to keep the door open. A bit further open. I push it. It's resisting but I keep it open.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: August 01, 2022, 02:36:57 am »

It was also explicit in the dream that the old was in fact {name} all along, and this was presented as the sickest of plot twists

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: August 01, 2022, 03:07:40 am »

The moral of the dream is that if you don't like what someone is doing, you should never hesitate to slap them into the face.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4191 on: August 01, 2022, 03:11:11 am »

Wide angle shot.

Which lens did it use?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: August 01, 2022, 10:59:41 am »

If an asset increases by a factor x and then decreases by the same factor, it overall reduced by a factor of x^2. Consequently, if it decreases first and increases second, it should rise by a factor of x^2 -- but it doesn't! It's down again! Because for some reason, (1-x) and (1+x) multiply to 1-x^2 no matter how you arrange them. Isn't that totally unfair??

It's also what happened to my ETH. Roughly went down by 50% and then up, actually by more than 50%, but it's still down!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: August 01, 2022, 11:01:22 am »

I guess the other asymmetry here is that it can only go down by 100% but go up by more than 100%, which is in fact what happened to the first ETH I bought way back.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: August 01, 2022, 11:03:02 am »

Still, would support changing mathematics so that at least one order of {increase, decrease} leads to an overall increase. That seems a lot fairer.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: August 01, 2022, 11:04:16 am »

It also stops the discrimination of squares against any other rectangles. Imagine how much more efficiently people could fence their houses.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: August 01, 2022, 11:19:23 am »

Mathematics is here for you! all you have to do is increase/decrease by an imaginary quantity.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4197 on: August 01, 2022, 11:35:48 am »

Mathematics is here for you! all you have to do is increase/decrease by an imaginary quantity.

Conveniently in cryptocurrency, all quantities are imaginary

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: August 01, 2022, 01:12:46 pm »

woah I don't think I ever quite realized that (1+i)(1-i) = 2. What does it meeeeeean???

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: August 01, 2022, 01:14:12 pm »

So all you need to do to create arbitrary number mass out of nothing is to begin with a square, x*x, and shovel imaginary mass from one number to the other
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 14 queries.